Sponsored

NEW! JL Front Camera offering - ZAutomotive 2/28/19

My1stBuild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Wrangler Sahara w/ Sky One-Touch
Well, ZAutomotive made available today, their front camera offering...
JL Wrangler JL Front Camera

Go here to read more in regard to this offering:
https://zautomotive.com/product/jeep-wrangler-jl-front-camera/

Easy to install, grille-mounted front camera kit for the 2018-2019 Wrangler JL. Includes everything needed to install the kit, no wire splicing, no screws.

Requires a Tazer JL or Tazer JL Mini to activate the “cargo camera” input on your screen. Works on the 8.4 Uconnect only.

If the Tazer JL is present, this camera input can be activated at any time, in any drive mode and at any speed, as long as you want. Makes a perfect trail camera as well as for parking.

Cargo camera input is not a Hi-Definition input like the backup camera; so the video quality will not be as good! This is a high quality standard definition (480i) camera. There is no way to add a high-definition cargo camera input to the JL radio.

Promo pics and copy of the Install Guide:

IMG_9306.jpg

Jl-Front-Camera-1024x1024.png

IMG_4527-e1551390296326-768x1024.jpg

@joe@zauto
For clarification, the programmer adds a cargo camera widget for toggling on from the touch screen at anytime?
My 2019 JL already has and allows such for my backup camera. So this allows the same for the add-on front cargo camera?
Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I agree. I like the ones that the folks are mounting in the front bumper instead. That is the one I will do.
Maybe this could be adapted for that. I like the bumper mounted view as I think you get a better look at obstructions

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
For clarification, the programmer adds a cargo camera widget for toggling on from the touch screen at anytime?
My 2019 JL already has and allows such for my backup camera. So this allows the same for the add-on front cargo camera?
@My1stBuild
Once enabled you will see an icon on the 8.4 screen. It's a little truck. Yes, an icon an icon like the rear camera icon.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe this could be adapted for that. I like the bumper mounted view as I think you get a better look at obstructions
@Jondrew

Other cameras can be used with the harness. You can buy just the harness at Z.

Sponsored

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Surely the HD rear camera enters the 8.4 unit via a wire. So the 8.4" unit has an HD input. Surely one could make a switch, and have an HD front and rear camera use the same input?

Edit: I'd much prefer an under vehicle view, ideally from behind the pumpkin with a view of it and each front wheel, to see what's happening down there. Also, a washer sprayer like the Gladiator camera, on both front and back, would be an upgrade I would buy.

My1stBuild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Wrangler Sahara w/ Sky One-Touch

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
Can you install if you dont have the stock grill? I have a grill insert on mine.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you install if you dont have the stock grill? I have a grill insert on mine.
@fonzie

You would have to come up with a way to fasten the camera in that area. Should not be that big of a deal to do. Also, you can use a different camera that mounts differently... mounts somewhere else.

Sponsored

MoquitoVerde

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
I have the superchips programmer and can confirm it does have the ability to turn on the cargo camera, I enabled the feature this weekend. It takes a couple of turn off/turn on cycles to show up, but its there. Looking forward to checking this camera out to see how it works.

Arkewn

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had assumed the Gladiator front cam would become an available accessory we could add to a 18-19 JL. But with the current UConnect not having inputs for an extra HD source I'm starting to have doubts. Maybe it won't even been an option we can add? Meaning the ZAuto front cam or something similar may be our best bet? I do like the earlier thread comment idea regarding an inline source switch to utilize the existing HD rear cam input since the display can only show front or back, not both at the same time.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I saw this on FB the day after my first attempt at installing my own. Killing me. Not that I want to mess with my grille but it certainly would have made things way easier.

thundermuffin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Soft top
I had assumed the Gladiator front cam would become an available accessory we could add to a 18-19 JL. But with the current UConnect not having inputs for an extra HD source I'm starting to have doubts. Maybe it won't even been an option we can add? Meaning the ZAuto front cam or something similar may be our best bet? I do like the earlier thread comment idea regarding an inline source switch to utilize the existing HD rear cam input since the display can only show front or back, not both at the same time.
I wonder if something like this this would work:

https://www.justforjeeps.com/kcx-c2600b.html

It requires either 1 or 2 alpine cameras, but it has a single video out for use with non-alpine head units. It includes a physical in line remote, which lets you switch between the cameras, as well as switch between three different view modes for each camera.

1st view is ‘wide’ (similar to a normal wide angle cam), 2nd view is ‘ground’, and 3rd view is ‘corners’ (split view of left/right, no center).

Since the switching is all done in the control unit linked above, in theory it would be a way to add up to two additional cameras to the Tazer enabled video input. With one installed in the front bumper and one in the rear bumper, that would give you a huge amount of additional visibility at each corner and underneath as well.
Sponsored