Gray Hare

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUK, 2019 JLUR, 2004 BMW M3
Vehicle Showcase
hello all- I’m about to embark on my 3rd jeep purchase. The first was a fateful 1980 CJ7 that cost me too much money to retain at the time. (I dropped the trans out of that one...). #2 is my current 2012 JKUR. Now I’m closing in on a 2019 JLUR. Would love input on any of the following regarding build journeys...
- mistakes and lessons learned?
- favorite personal mods, products, experiences so far?
- anything else you folks with recent JL experience care to comment on?

At a high level, I’m targeting a 3.5 to 4.0 lift, aluminum bumpers/armor, and will be running 37’s.

Gonna keep it real general so I hopefully get unabashed input. (I know this community is not shy). Thanks much- JD
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If you have any doubt on ordering any particular option, order it. Lot easier doing it on order versus adding on later.
Get the JL delivery checklist from the sticky section of the Ordering and Pricing Discussions section. I emailed to the sales manager and the prep manager before mine arrived and told them I would be checking the items listed. Asked them to follow the checklist while prepping. They agreed and did a good job.
I took off the rails and put on Mopar side steps because it is embarrassing to carry a step stool to get in and out. Let alone lifting it 4" because I think you have to be at least 6'6" tall to get in.
I mainly added lights, mats, MOLLE bags. All necessary for my travel. Going to order a soft top if we ever get spring weather around here.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
="nerubi, post: 600092, member: 26814"]If you have any doubt on ordering any particular option, order it. Lot easier doing it on order versus adding on later.
I agree with this. For example... I was deadset on not getting too many options, so I wasn't going to get the cold weather group. But then at the last moment when ordering I decided to get it, and I'm so glad I did now.

OP
OP
Gray Hare

Gray Hare

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you have any doubt on ordering any particular option, order it. Lot easier doing it on order versus adding on later.
Get the JL delivery checklist from the sticky section of the Ordering and Pricing Discussions section. I emailed to the sales manager and the prep manager before mine arrived and told them I would be checking the items listed. Asked them to follow the checklist while prepping. They agreed and did a good job.
I took off the rails and put on Mopar side steps because it is embarrassing to carry a step stool to get in and out. Let alone lifting it 4" because I think you have to be at least 6'6" tall to get in.
I mainly added lights, mats, MOLLE bags. All necessary for my travel. Going to order a soft top if we ever get spring weather around here.
Thanks mike! Some good nuggets here. on the height issue, I am 6’2 and will have some little dudes and passengers that are in and out, so I’ve been looking at the rockslide engineering slider steps. Thanks for the post!

OP
OP
Gray Hare

Gray Hare

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Joe!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gray Hare

Gray Hare

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Been a fun journey so far. My lessons learned:
1) plan ahead. Look at complete vision of where you want go with the Jeep as a singular machine, not a collection of cool parts
2) go slow. It’s dominos. Especially on cosmetics
3) research. Get reviews. Talk to others who have done it

A8AF03D5-4B00-44DB-B4B4-A18754395AA0.jpeg

olmectech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
If you have to remove body mount bolts take a heat gun to them first.
They have loctite on them. People have been snapping them.

Kballard72

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Rubicon unlimited
If it can come with it from factory do it...

Both my TJ and JKU I did all the adds grears, lockers, lifts.

I went rubi this time. I don't want to do the work anymore.

And my 4th jeep I went automatic to, don't miss the clutch.

Doubleaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Couldn’t agree more. Had the dealer add the Auxiliary Switches and messed up my wiring harness and interior trim. Should have just waited and found a vehicle that already had it.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you're building a trail rig I can't possibly see how the BSM could help you. Soo glad I don't have it and didn't pay for it.

If you haven't seen Teraflex's video it's great entertainment:

www.Teraflex.com/videos/all?videoid=0687F-Sarao

Sure it's disabled in 4lo (thankfully) but I still can't understand why *I* would need this. When I started driving I was taught blind spots were monitored with these shiny things affixed just outboard of each front window.

And if I had to fight w Jeeps pathetic transfer case shifting to go to 4lo to get out of a parking space I'd be f'n pissed.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

If you're building a trail rig I can't possibly see how the BSM could help you. Soo glad I don't have it and didn't pay for it.

If you haven't seen Teraflex's video it's great entertainment:

www.Teraflex.com/videos/all?videoid=0687F-Sarao

Sure it's disabled in 4lo (thankfully) but I still can't understand why *I* would need this. When I started driving I was taught blind spots were monitored with these shiny things affixed just outboard of each front window.

And if I had to fight w Jeeps pathetic transfer case shifting to go to 4lo to get out of a parking space I'd be f'n pissed.
Wow! On the jeep wont move video. Thats ridiculous. And going into 4lo isnt super easy either. I can foresee the wife getting pissed trying to do that.

KCC_703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray MOAB
I like the BSM... Why wouldn't you want the extra warning? Always check the mirrors and turn your head... many people forget or never learned. BSM is great as a tertiary check on highways. I've got a toddler and stray toys behind the vehicle isn't out of the question. Best thing about BSM - turn off the audible and ignore the lights in the mirrors if you don't like it.

Great video, BTW. Never would have thought that would happen. But now I know. I think my Tazer can disable the BSM also.

To the OP... do the research on features that can't be added after purchase... ie. proximity keyless entry. There's a thread about which options people regret not adding.
Sponsored