NEW JL Accessory Ideas for Manufacturers

jcwalp

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Retrofit Offroad has now asked me to go ahead with the engineering JLU and JL hardtop slider window kits. The kit will follow the same design as the current Retrofit kits for the JKU and JK, but of course with different dimensions and details specific to the JLU and JL. Probably will do the JLU kit first but that's not decided yet. I've got a meeting set up with the window manufacturer in two weeks to get the window engineering started; I'll be doing the engineering of the rest of the kit between now and then and plan to turn over the design of the hardware components to the hardware manufacturer about the same time.

For the record: I am not an employee of Retrofit Offroad (or any company). I am a Jeep owner and one of my hobbies is design; I help Jeep and offroad companies with product design for my own enjoyment.
That is fantastic news, of course I'll be biased towards the 2 door JL vs 4 door JLU, but movement on this front is great to hear! I'll reach out to Joel to share my support for this work. :-D
Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
I want some brush guards, headlight guards, hell maybe even the whole front bumper made like the picture here - all 3d printed titanium or aluminum and carbon fiber tubing.

divergent.jpg

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
I want some brush guards, headlight guards, hell maybe even the whole front bumper made like the picture here - all 3d printed titanium or aluminum and carbon fiber tubing.

divergent.jpg
I saw some of their stuff in person at an additive manufacturing trade show - they are trying to print the entire car frame - I see a lot of potential just in accessories.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
That is fantastic news, of course I'll be biased towards the 2 door JL vs 4 door JLU, but movement on this front is great to hear! I'll reach out to Joel to share my support for this work. :-D
Retrofit Offroad had their JLU in the Smokey Mountain Jeep Invasion show and they were showing a JK 2dr slider...

Smokey1_zpsx6hbfbld.jpg

And on the slider they wrote this:

Smokey2_zpsyy0ucfug.jpg

They were also showing this preproduction tailgate hinge mounted Rotopax:

RetrofitTailgateRotopax_zpszf8thhze.jpg

And this preproduction side mount Rotopax from MORryde:

MORrydeSideMountRotopax_zpsysrcl2bb.jpg

And this preproduction tailgate HD Molle panel in canvas and leather and really nice production canvas and leather bags from Overland Outfitters:

JLTailgatePanel_zpsuirinnwf.jpg

Lots of interesting new stuff on the Retrofit Offroad JL.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Something that could be a product... "quick release" side windows. Here's a JK prototype installed and removed:

JKQuickReleaseWindowPrototype_zpsc89idbhy.jpg
This is really cool. I wonder if there could be an easy way to remove the rear window also.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
This is really cool. I wonder if there could be an easy way to remove the rear window also.
This makes me think of the Jeremy Renner commercial where rear windows inexplicably appear and disappear

jcwalp

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
That is some pretty sweet stuff in the pipeline.
How's the work on the slider windows? Our dog (and my wife) were asking ;-)

Retrofit Offroad had their JLU in the Smokey Mountain Jeep Invasion show and they were showing a JK 2dr slider...

Smokey1_zpsx6hbfbld.jpg

And on the slider they wrote this:

Smokey2_zpsyy0ucfug.jpg

They were also showing this preproduction tailgate hinge mounted Rotopax:

RetrofitTailgateRotopax_zpszf8thhze.jpg

And this preproduction side mount Rotopax from MORryde:

MORrydeSideMountRotopax_zpsysrcl2bb.jpg

And this preproduction tailgate HD Molle panel in canvas and leather and really nice production canvas and leather bags from Overland Outfitters:

JLTailgatePanel_zpsuirinnwf.jpg

Lots of interesting new stuff on the Retrofit Offroad JL.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is some pretty sweet stuff in the pipeline.
How's the work on the slider windows? Our dog (and my wife) were asking ;-)
Good timing asking that question - I'm meeting with the window manufacturer on Tuesday - they've got a prototype window ready for me to inspect. Assuming they've got it right, I'll ok it for production. I'll post an update and hopefully photos of the prototype window after the meeting on Tuesday.

A few other new JL products I've been helping companies with since I last posted:

Coming soon from Retrofit Offroad, door hinge mounted Rotopax carriers (shown here on a JKU but also fit a JL).

PackedForSmokey4_zpsmkj18m2k.jpg

And from Overland Outfitters...

"Saddlebags" which fit over the inner fenders, this is the 2-door version. There's also a 4-door version that fits over the inner fenders just behind the rear seat on a JLU. Their products are made from heavy duty military grade canvas and real leather.

JKSaddlebagInJL2_zpsbzdstnah.jpg

"Backpack" Messenger Bag, hangs on the seat headrest posts and removes with a zipper. Also comes with straps so it can be worn as a backpack or as a shoulder bag. Quadratec is carrying some of the Overland Outfitters gear now and more to come soon: https://www.quadratec.com/search/overland outfitters

WebsitePhoto1_zpssso0auhh.jpg

Headrest Molle:

JLHeadrestMolle3_zpse4oiea4p.jpg

And coming soon from MORryde, a JLU version of their Overhead/Swing-Down Molle panel. Mounts to the roll bars and fits in the space above the roll bars - out of sight when stowed but swings down for quick access. JK version shown in these photos, but the JL version is in engineering right now and they tell me will be available this fall. The JK version has been out for a while: https://www.quadratec.com/p/morryde/fold-down-molle-panel-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jk.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yesterday I met with the RV window company that's doing slider windows for JL factory hardtops for Retrofit Offroad. I left the meeting with a preproduction sample JLU slider window frame to test fit, the frame looks good and fits perfectly in the retrofit kit for the factory hardtop. We discussed a few minor changes to the frame so I expect they'll make a few more prototypes before they're ready for production.

We also discussed cargo hatch windows, this photo shows one they manufacture for pickup caps. Over the next few weeks they'll be making prototypes of these for testing in JK hardtops. The one in this photo has glass in it; we also discussed doing solid panels instead of glass. if there's interest I'm sure Retrofit will consider producing these for the JL and JLU as well.

SideAccessDoor_zps1krxi2ls.jpg

Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Proper steering gearbox that works with factory electronic pump.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Retrofit Offroad posted this photo of a preproduction JLU slider frame on Instagram the other day. It's not installed, it's just being held in place for the photo.

JLRetrofitKit2a_zpsgl8ecwam.jpg

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These showed up today...

CargoWindows1_zpsh47nvcv0.jpg

This pair is intended for the factory JK 2dr hardtop, but that's just because I had that window profile handy to give to the window company that made these samples. I'll be installing them in a JK 2dr hardtop for testing. If there's demand these can be made to fit for any of the JK or JL factory hardtops.

For the record: I'm just the designer, I don't sell anything, so if these are to come to market it won't be me selling them.
Sponsored