Sponsored

New Jeeper (Jeep-ee? Jeepite?) - is this normal (drivetrain/trim questions)?

SuedeGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport
Howdy! Second time poster, long time reader.

I was hoping y'all could brain trust a bit more and shine your wisdom down on some things that are new to me or are semi-unexpected. Some exposition first: I'm brand new to Jeep and with the COVIDs and what not, got no download from the dealer that so graciously accepted my money as to interesting quirks and features. I am also dumb.

So far the Jeep (2 door, base model, no mods, a stick shift, and gray...I'm assuming the gray piece will be important later) has been lovely! I've taken it on a couple of trails and it performed admirably. I even had an opportunity to go in 4L to rumble over some rocks, and that went very well. I took the time to break it in first, though I picked it up with 70 hard miles of folks presumably beating on it to hear what a Jeep with a stick shift sounds like when it cries. We're now at 750 miles.

I should mention again that I am also very dumb.

Bearing all that in mind:

• Precisely at 80 indicated, there's a drivetrain whine that starts up. Bug or feature? It's nice and quiet up until that point. Discovered post break in because I'm a good boy.
  • Dust seems to infiltrate through the tailgate...potentially the doors, too, but definitely the tailgate. It's a soft top because that's what MacGyver drives. Anyway, is that a thing? It's kind of a lot and the car was otherwise sealed as I explored some dusty roads.
  • Car gets a bit squeaky on bumps post an adventure on washboards. Not in the interior, sounds much more primal and impressive in the rear/driver side. Should I be concerned?
  • 1st to 2nd shift incurs a heavy 'clunk' that's not on other shifts. It goes into gear fine but definitely feels like more of an event than every other shift. 2nd just trying to get some attention?

Thanks for any and all wisdom you are interested in sharing. I've been enjoying learning by reading through the forums and hope to tell other dumb people stuff when I am slightly less dumb.
Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Don't sweat it. You've only got 750 on it that leaves over 35000 worth of warranty. Run that baby.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I like your style. Jeep dealers generally cool about repairs for unmodified Wranglers?
dont take it in covered top to bottom in mud, but if there is an issue that clearly should be covered under warranty, you shouldn’t have a problem getting it taken care of.

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Howdy! Second time poster, long time reader.

I was hoping y'all could brain trust a bit more and shine your wisdom down on some things that are new to me or are semi-unexpected. Some exposition first: I'm brand new to Jeep and with the COVIDs and what not, got no download from the dealer that so graciously accepted my money as to interesting quirks and features. I am also dumb.

So far the Jeep (2 door, base model, no mods, a stick shift, and gray...I'm assuming the gray piece will be important later) has been lovely! I've taken it on a couple of trails and it performed admirably. I even had an opportunity to go in 4L to rumble over some rocks, and that went very well. I took the time to break it in first, though I picked it up with 70 hard miles of folks presumably beating on it to hear what a Jeep with a stick shift sounds like when it cries. We're now at 750 miles.

I should mention again that I am also very dumb.

Bearing all that in mind:

• Precisely at 80 indicated, there's a drivetrain whine that starts up. Bug or feature? It's nice and quiet up until that point. Discovered post break in because I'm a good boy.
  • Dust seems to infiltrate through the tailgate...potentially the doors, too, but definitely the tailgate. It's a soft top because that's what MacGyver drives. Anyway, is that a thing? It's kind of a lot and the car was otherwise sealed as I explored some dusty roads.
  • Car gets a bit squeaky on bumps post an adventure on washboards. Not in the interior, sounds much more primal and impressive in the rear/driver side. Should I be concerned?
  • 1st to 2nd shift incurs a heavy 'clunk' that's not on other shifts. It goes into gear fine but definitely feels like more of an event than every other shift. 2nd just trying to get some attention?

Thanks for any and all wisdom you are interested in sharing. I've been enjoying learning by reading through the forums and hope to tell other dumb people stuff when I am slightly less dumb.
All sounds about right especially for a soft top......Its a Jeep thing!

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
SuedeGopher, Mine has been modified a bit and I've only dealt with two dealers. Both have been very good at addressing and fixing any issues. Not sure where in Az you are but I've been happy with Fishers in Yuma. Seat your fuses and make the N1 to N2 jumper and go have fun.
Sponsored