Sponsored

New Jeep Wrangler Wrangler article about global market

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Found this article and it confused me. Seeing how the Wrangler outsells the Mustang by a lot I guess they are talking about international sales.

They mention "changes to production" that could double sales and lower prices overseas. What are they talking about?

2018 Jeep Wrangler Could Rival Mustang Success

As vehicles, the Jeep Wrangler and Ford Mustang couldn’t be any different, but they share two glaring similarities that help predict the Wrangler’s success in the global market. They are both purely American nameplates that are well-known around the world.

By pure American, it means that they scantly have any presence outside North American borders. Through pop culture, both are familiar to non-US consumers, who unfortunately don’t have much access to these rides.

However, the Mustang is not that exclusive to US buyers anymore as Ford started producing right-hand drive (RHD) models of its iconic pony and released it to over 80 countries in late 2014.

Since then, the Dearborn stallion has quickly enjoyed explosive success abroad, so much so that it became the best-selling sports coupe worldwide last year. Plus the first eight months of this year has seen the Mustang become the sales leading sports car in the UK and Germany.

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Wrangler Wrangler article about global market {filename}

Although the Wrangler has as much international recognition as the Mustang, it’s not as successful commercially due to supply constraints. Close to 80 percent of the 250,000 units of the 4×4 sold last year were confined within the US, while another 10 percent or so went to Canada and Mexico.

Some changes to production would see the next-gen Wrangler in 2018 double its sales, and when that happens it could rival the immediate success of the Mustang, seeing that like the pony, it already possesses international recognition.

In markets like India, where the Wrangler costs an equivalent of over $105,000, sales may be hard to come by, but in other regions where gas guzzlers aren’t taxed as heavily, the off-roader wouldn’t be any more expensive than the Mustang. After all, they’re within the same price range in the US.

There are off-road enthusiasts waiting for their chance to get their hands on Jeep’s most distinct nameplate, particularly those who are keen on customizations. Since other mid-size or half tonne off-roaders like the Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger are so popular internationally, the Wrangler would enjoy plenty of fanfare as well.

http://dailysunknoxville.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-could-rival-mustang-success/920011219
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Found this article and it confused me. Seeing how the Wrangler outsells the Mustang by a lot I guess they are talking about international sales.

They mention "changes to production" that could double sales and lower prices overseas. What are they talking about?
They have been at max capacity in the current factory, due to sharing with one of the smaller cross-overs. They are moving everything but JL production elsewhere and increasing capacity for the JL with international markets in mind.

OP
OP

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
They have been at max capacity in the current factory, due to sharing with one of the smaller cross-overs. They are moving everything but JL production elsewhere and increasing capacity for the JL with international markets in mind.
Interesting. Are they increasing countries its being sold in? I can't say i even know which ones it is officially sold now. That and I have never seen a Wrangler elsewhere but here.
Sponsored