Sponsored

New Jeep Wrangler will have Apple Carplay and 4th gen Uconnect?

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
Saw that the 2018 Wranglers will get the upgraded 8.4 inch nav screen units. Hoping these feature Apple Carplay?
Sponsored

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Saw that the 2018 Wranglers will get the upgraded 8.4 inch nav screen units. Hoping these feature Apple Carplay?
I assume it will based on this press release posted by FCA in January. It talks about the 4th gen Uconnect 8.4" nav system getting Apple Carplay and Android Auto:

Fourth-generation Uconnect systems
In 2016, FCA will introduce a portfolio of Uconnect systems that include capacitive touchscreens, performance improvements of faster startup time, enhanced processing power, heightened touchscreen responsiveness, vivid touchscreens with improved resolution and brightness, the Uconnect 8.4 NAV system, and select others within the global portfolio, will include Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

• Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay provides drivers with a smarter, safer way to use an iPhone inside a car. Apple CarPlay seamlessly integrates an iPhone with the car's built-in display and controls in addition to featuring Siri voice control. Now drivers can make phone calls, access music, send and receive messages, get directions optimized for traffic conditions, and more while staying focused on the road.

• Android Auto: Android Auto automatically provides drivers with a safer way to use Android while driving. The system will share useful information while you drive and makes it easy to access the best of Google. It features: Google Maps with free voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance; on-demand access to 30 million songs with Google Play Music; the ability to place phone calls or send and receive messages while keeping your hands on the wheel; and ask Google search any question. Android Auto also makes it easy to access popular apps and content from the Uconnect system's touchscreen.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/04/fca-uconnect-apple-carplay-and-android-auto-ces/

OP
OP
MrDinkMan

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
I assume it will based on this press release posted by FCA in January. It talks about the 4th gen Uconnect 8.4" nav system getting Apple Carplay and Android Auto:
Sweet thanks! Searched youtube to see how Apple Carplay will look and function on Uconnect but didn't even see a demo or anything yet.

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

FCA just announced the first application of Uconnect 4.0 coming in the Challenger T/A Plus. From the press release announcing the Challenger T/A Plus:

Adding to the Challenger T/A model's standard equipment, the new 2017 Challenger T/A Plus includes unique heated and ventilated Nappa leather performance seats in Black with Tungsten accent stitching and embroidered "T/A" logo; all-new fourth-generation Uconnect 8.4 system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integrations, faster startup time, enhanced processing power, vivid imagery, plus higher resolution and sharper graphics; Dodge Performance leather-wrapped steering wheel with power tilt-and-telescoping column; six premium speakers and 276-watt digital amplifier.

Expanding on the Super Track Pak's capability, the Challenger T/A Plus adds a shortcut button to the Dodge Performance Pages embedded in the class-exclusive and all-new Uconnect 8.4-inch touchscreen fourth-generation radio, which provides visible performance information, such as a programmable shift light indicator, reaction time, 0-60 times, G-force indicator and lap times in the 7-inch thin-film transistor (TFT) customizable cluster display. This new Uconnect system also includes Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to further smartphone integration.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Adding to the Challenger T/A model's standard equipment, the new 2017 Challenger T/A Plus includes unique heated and ventilated Nappa leather performance seats in Black with Tungsten accent stitching and embroidered "T/A" logo; all-new fourth-generation Uconnect 8.4 system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integrations, faster startup time, enhanced processing power, vivid imagery, plus higher resolution and sharper graphics; Dodge Performance leather-wrapped steering wheel with power tilt-and-telescoping column; six premium speakers and 276-watt digital amplifier.

Expanding on the Super Track Pak's capability, the Challenger T/A Plus adds a shortcut button to the Dodge Performance Pages embedded in the class-exclusive and all-new Uconnect 8.4-inch touchscreen fourth-generation radio, which provides visible performance information, such as a programmable shift light indicator, reaction time, 0-60 times, G-force indicator and lap times in the 7-inch thin-film transistor (TFT) customizable cluster display. This new Uconnect system also includes Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to further smartphone integration.
Wow the Dodge Performance Pages for the Challenger T/A sounds super useful with all those performance indicators and displays. Lots of those data wouldn't apply to a Wrangler (0-60, G force, lap time) but I'd love to see them give us something custom for the Wrangler - incline/decline angle, current torque output, % weight on each corner, etc.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love to see them give us something custom for the Wrangler - incline/decline angle, current torque output, % weight on each corner, etc.
This. :cool:

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
Wow the Dodge Performance Pages for the Challenger T/A sounds super useful with all those performance indicators and displays. Lots of those data wouldn't apply to a Wrangler (0-60, G force, lap time) but I'd love to see them give us something custom for the Wrangler - incline/decline angle, current torque output, % weight on each corner, etc.
Since we're making a wish list, I'd love to see the system be even more advanced and have an onboard video recorder with telematics superimposed like they have on the Corvettes. Would be fun to capture off roading jaunts that way.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I think the zr2 has apple car play and frankly I was disappointed. It would run all the apps that my iPhone has on it just a few and the ones I really want to run like topo maps for iPhone were not included. Big turn off. I wonder if android will be better of it there will be a way to "unlock" the unit to accept to get it to use the other apps? I wish it was going to be like insane audio Jeep jk radio I don't store music on my phone I store on the my gig in my jeep. so it has thousands of songs on it already .I don't really like the idea of haven to plug in a external flash drive or something.I don't want to use the apace on my iPhone.. At this point I might have to switch phones to an android base. I wonder what to do,. wait until the JL get here I guess

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Just curious why plugging in an external flash is an issue?

If you get a high-speed low profile memory stick then it will be barely noticeable, and considering 64GB costs less than $20, you can buy 2 and keep swapping / updating your playlist easily versus the lengthy procress of loading them onto the head unit and deleting old songs manually. Particullarly handy for podcasts and online compilations (especially if you don't keep those on your phone as you already stated).

Also if you want more space for tunes, you just buy a bigger drive vs being stuck with the one incorporated with the unit.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
can the apple car play link with an android system at least for the basics? and vice versa? does this mean the if you have an iPhone you have to buy a jeep with apple car play? and vice versa? talk about brand wars!!!

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
can the apple car play link with an android system at least for the basics? and vice versa? does this mean the if you have an iPhone you have to buy a jeep with apple car play? and vice versa? talk about brand wars!!!
There will still be the Uconnect layer that will connect to everything for the messaging, music, phone, etc stuff, kinda like now only more robust, and it will work across platforms including Blackberry, Windows and also ‘dumb’ phones.

Then ontop of that is the added Android and Apple environments that provide an additional experience for those devices, but the features of each of those are currently restricted to just their own platforms & devices.

UN4GTBL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are both available. (you get both, or none, depending on the radio)

Dennis Hopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon
2018 Wrangler's will have three uconnect systems. The 3.0 and two 4.0 systems. The lcd screen sizes are 5", 7" and 8.4". The new 4.0 is the 4th gen systems. My company just release sat tuner integration for the 7" lcd screen, as standard this unit doesn't come with SiriusXM. We completed it on a Grand Cherokee last week.

RubiconGaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon granite, 2006 Rubicon beige, 1995 green Sahara, 1995 Sport aqua with splash (hers), 1995 Sahara beige (his). 2005 liberty and 2006 grand Cherokee limited
Vehicle Showcase
Does your screen get hot to the touch? Mine does.
Sponsored