Sponsored

New Jeep Wrangler to Lose Weight, Confirmed 1st Half 2017, Jeep Pickup in Early 2018

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Jeep CEO Michael Manley has confirmed that the 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler is "on schedule and on track" to be be introduced in the first half of 2017 with the pickup version to follow in Early 2018, in an interview with Automotive News yesterday.

The Jeep boss also revealed that the next generation Jeep Wrangler will be lighter and feature several design changes to greatly increase its fuel economy:

"To be honest with you, I'm delighted in the way it's turning out, not just from a styling point of view, but from an overall point of what Wrangler stands for, I'm very pleased.

We've made a large number of changes in terms of fuel economy, both enablers in terms of weight, with the aero[dynamics] of Wrangler, because at the end of the day, it needs to be recognized as Wrangler.

With weight [reductions] and a number of changes that we've made, you're going to see that we've really pushed the vehicle forward in terms of fuel economy," Manley said.
As for the Jeep (JP) pickup truck, Manley has confirmed it will be introduced in early 2018, stating:

"Anything Jeep does have to have an inherent level of capability... that drives some extent both the positioning of the vehicle and the cost of the vehicle. I have no desire today to do a stripped-down Jeep pickup."
Sponsored

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
Will they launch the 2 and 4 door together when it comes in 2017?

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
It'll be interesting to see how much weight they managed to save while being conservative with the aluminum use and possibly an increased wheelbase.

Many times when a new smaller displacement engine is offered they use that to claim "more fuel efficient" while the other (existing) engines stay basically the same in terms of MPG.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Sounds like Jeep officials starting to pump up the crowd for the next JL Wrangler :)

Also sounds like the pickup will be slotted pretty high in the range and priced accordingly. But good to hear it'll also have proper Jeep capabilities too. Would hate to see them enter into the pickup space with a purely 'lifestyle' vehicle.

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Yea that sounds like it's going to be optioned to the 9's with a price tag to match. Maybe this will be a limited edition version only to go after the Raptor?

Sponsored

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Man that's exciting news! Looking forward to seeing (and hopefully buying) one almost a full year ahead of what I was planning on!

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Man that's exciting news! Looking forward to seeing (and hopefully buying) one almost a full year ahead of what I was planning on!
Me too. This is gonna be a long tease period until next year! I just hope at the end of it they deliver something that'll make it worthwhile to upgrade from the JK. So far so good and the only thing I think might be a *possible* downgrade might be the rumored roof structure. But I'll wait to see what its design is actually like before passing judgment on it. Could even be an upgrade (?)

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Me too. This is gonna be a long tease period until next year! I just hope at the end of it they deliver something that'll make it worthwhile to upgrade from the JK. So far so good and the only thing I think might be a *possible* downgrade might be the rumored roof structure. But I'll wait to see what its design is actually like before passing judgment on it. Could even be an upgrade (?)
For me at least, I see many different upgrades I'm looking forward to. The new, more powerful engine choices, the new 8 speed, LED/HID lighting, and other improvements.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

For me at least, I see many different upgrades I'm looking forward to. The new, more powerful engine choices, the new 8 speed, LED/HID lighting, and other improvements.
For sure it should be a better vehicle in every respect or they wouldn't bother with a new platform. Better off road and on road, better MPG, more power/tq, updated transmissions, more engine choices. But i know it's also what they didn't change that some people really want to know. The Wrangler design seems safe.

Hopefully the convertible feel and ruggedness follow!

Doyles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Wrangler
Let's get down to the important question then - when will order bank open for the JL?

Sponsored

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
Let's get down to the important question then - when will order bank open for the JL?
A good estimate would probably be in Spring 2017. They can debut the Wrangler JL at Detroit auto show in Jan. or NY show in April and open order banks right after to capitalize on the attention and buzz. Plus in past model years the order bank for JK has opened around May-June, so this timing would remain consistent.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I wish they would show the Wrangler and PickUp at the same time even if the pick up wont be out till 6 months after. This would at least help us decide if its worth waiting for.

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
I wish they would show the Wrangler and PickUp at the same time even if the pick up wont be out till 6 months after. This would at least help us decide if its worth waiting for.
IIRC they have said that the design and everything is done on both the pickup and regular JL. They just need to build it. So they could show it at the same time? Probably wont just to draw out interest and hype tho.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea my issue is that I would sell my JKU for the new new pick up as long as it looks good and is offered in a 4 door version, but if not then I would probably pick up the new Wrangler instead. Just hate to wait an extra 6 months or so, when I could have ordered when the JL order banks first opened.

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
Yea my issue is that I would sell my JKU for the new new pick up as long as it looks good and is offered in a 4 door version, but if not then I would probably pick up the new Wrangler instead. Just hate to wait an extra 6 months or so, when I could have ordered when the JL order banks first opened.
It'll be interesting what they price it at too. I'm sure you wont be the only one deciding between the JKU and pickup.

Judging by "won't be stripped down" comment I could see it being in the $35-40 territory, priced similarly to the current JKU Rubicon. Here's to hoping for > $35K.
Sponsored