Sponsored

New Jeep Wrangler to include gasoline, diesel, mild hybrid, full hybrid

sportcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars? A Jeep isn't a "car"
Take a closer look at the chart in post #1, some folks are reading it wrong.
The chart is just the hard line CO2 requirements and their set dates 2015, 2018 and 2022. FCA just places dots on the various models it produces or will produce to meet these dates. There is no scale in between the CO2 hard dates do I read the diesel wrangler as sometime before 2022.

The new generation Land Rover Discovery has a TDV6 diesel for NAS coming this year 2017. It's looking very appealing.
Sponsored

Milous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
The chart is just the hard line CO2 requirements and their set dates 2015, 2018 and 2022. FCA just places dots on the various models it produces or will produce to meet these dates. There is no scale in between the CO2 hard dates do I read the diesel wrangler as sometime before 2022.
Correct, CO2 requirements. There are no launch dates given for any of the vehicles listed.

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Correct, CO2 requirements. There are no launch dates given for any of the vehicles listed.
Ah thank you for the clarification. The chart makes more sense now. So it is just saying the diesel wrangler will come before the 2022 CO2 requirements. I hope the mules sighting means it will be much sooner than that.

sportcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars? A Jeep isn't a "car"
Ah thank you for the clarification. The chart makes more sense now. So it is just saying the diesel wrangler will come before the 2022 CO2 requirements. I hope the mules sighting means it will be much sooner than that.
The JL diesel will have to meet the 2022 CO2 requirements I believe.

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
It's too bad they couldn't get it out in time for 2018. Less strict CO2 requirements to meet until 2022 too. Guess it just won't be ready or they are waiting to debut it on the pickup Wrangler.

Sponsored

CrashBurn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
I am a bit worried about cities in the us planning to ban diesels in the next 5-8 years. Then what?
Ford doesn't seem worried. They just announced the F150 is getting a 3.0 Power Stroke Diesel and a hyrid later on in 2020. Good news for the JL and JT diesel, which seems to be following the same path.

doh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler
I am a bit worried about cities in the us planning to ban diesels in the next 5-8 years. Then what?
id be worried too. with the VW dieselgate and low gas prices diesel plans could be tabled or scrapped completely. it's taken them long enough and now the timing couldnt be worse.

FiftyFive0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Chevy Tahoe
Ford doesn't seem worried. They just announced the F150 is getting a 3.0 Power Stroke Diesel and a hyrid later on in 2020. Good news for the JL and JT diesel, which seems to be following the same path.
GM too. Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain both just added diesel options.

I’ve driven many EcoDiesel Rams and been impressed with the way they feel, but I have to say it’s not an engine I would get for that application. I don’t really trust their longevity. The dealership I worked at usually had about 10 of them (including Grand Cherokees) getting repaired at any given time, and several had to have the whole engine replaced.

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Hybrid really makes a lot of sense. You get the immediate power and efficiency of electric motors paired with the quick refill and sounds/rumble of the gasoline engine. The technology has a negative reputation among auto enthusiasts because its become synonymous with cars like the Prius. So when most people think hybrid, they think of weird appliances on wheels lacking performance and fun. I think that'll change over time as you see hybrid technology being used more and more for performance. It's already started with the hybrid hypercars.

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Hybrid really makes a lot of sense. You get the immediate power and efficiency of electric motors paired with the quick refill and sounds/rumble of the gasoline engine. The technology has a negative reputation among auto enthusiasts because its become synonymous with cars like the Prius. So when most people think hybrid, they think of weird appliances on wheels lacking performance and fun. I think that'll change over time as you see hybrid technology being used more and more for performance. It's already started with the hybrid hypercars.
I recall reading an article a number of years ago, about a company that fitted old Series Land Rovers with electric motors and a bunch of batteries. The low end torque was real nice off-road. Of course the problem was getting the Rovers to the test site in Moab - they had to be towed due to lack of range. Hybrid would take care of that range issue. Still, cost and added complexity would be a concern of mine, bashing it around off-road and having things break. Would have to be a rugged setup with the electric component providing an advantage on the trail before I would pay extra for hybrid in a Wrangler.

Swanky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA Miata
there are a couple of fully electric samurais out there that seem pretty good. Battery life is also the issue

Emoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Camaro SS
I always wonder about crossing a creek with electric motors.

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
I always wonder about crossing a creek with electric motors.
Concerns about anything new are legit. I love my '64 Willys Wagon, but electrics are coming. Sealing for water crossing would be a solvable challenge. Electric powertrains are so much simpler than the gas ones we are all used to. And the performance - wow. Two words: instant torque!

What would be cool is a plug-in hybrid Jeep. You drive it to the trailhead in hybrid-electric mode (many EVs now have an "EV later" button) and then switch over to EV mode for the trail.

CrashBurn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
there are a couple of fully electric samurais out there that seem pretty good. Battery life is also the issue
That's the main thing for me. I love the idea of instant torque but the fear of getting stuck on a trail would be a big one for a full EV. In some parts you won't be able to find a recharging station for a long ways out even after you reach pavement. I think Manley already hinted that they would only go hybrid with the Wrangler. Switching over to electric when you need the extra mpg and while offroad is a great combination. Sure beats any supposed savings from ESS.
Sponsored