Sponsored

New Jeep Wrangler to include gasoline, diesel, mild hybrid, full hybrid

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
Was hoping the diesel would be available at launch with the first model year. Any idea why they're waiting until 2020 to bring it considering this diesel engine is already being used in the U.S.?
Probably good that they plan to roll it out in 3-4 years. EPA testing standards for diesels are currently in flux. Would suck to bring a diesel out now for example, only to have emission standards changed and have to reeingineer the Diesel engine to comply. Better to see where the EPA standards settle and then bring out a diesel that complies for the duration of its model life.
Sponsored

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
Probably good that they plan to roll it out in 3-4 years. EPA testing standards for diesels are currently in flux. Would suck to bring a diesel out now for example, only to have emission standards changed and have to reeingineer the Diesel engine to comply. Better to see where the EPA standards settle and then bring out a diesel that complies for the duration of its model life.
But EPA could decide to change their standards again anytime, even after the Wrangler diesel is released, so manufacturers are never fully guaranteed that they won't have to re-engineer their diesels for the entire life of the car.

Jeepero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK 2dr. 2012
Living in Switzerland i own a 2.8 CRD Wrangler JK. I would love to see a 3.0L V6 Diesel like in the Grand Cherokee.

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
Living in Switzerland i own a 2.8 CRD Wrangler JK. I would love to see a 3.0L V6 Diesel like in the Grand Cherokee.
Sounds like you'll get your V6 diesel wish! All the reports are pointing to the diesel being the EcoDiesel V6 engine.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
2020 for the Diesel Wrangler? Ugg ... I really dont want to wait that long. I'm getting that 3 year itch with my 2013 JKU already so that would mean another 3.2 years for the diesel, plus if takes even longer with the pick up.

I might end up sucking it up and getting a Raptor instead.

Also waiting that long seems like a bad idea as the Ford Bronco should be out around then if rumors are correct.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
2020 for the Diesel Wrangler? Ugg ... I really dont want to wait that long. I'm getting that 3 year itch with my 2013 JKU already so that would mean another 3.2 years for the diesel, plus if takes even longer with the pick up.

I might end up sucking it up and getting a Raptor instead.

Also waiting that long seems like a bad idea as the Ford Bronco should be out around then if rumors are correct.
Me neither. Might just spring for the V6 JL and trade in when the time comes.

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Why the long wait for the diesel anyway... I'm hoping it's because the "next gen diesel" listed on the map means it should be significant improvements on the small diesel that's being used by FCA in Europe. That thing's not too impressive IMO

This recently released chart by FCA (see full business plan) shows the different JL Wrangler drivetrains that will be offered throughout its model life.

The next generation Wrangler JL will receive:
  • at launch, gasoline engines from FCA's current crop of engines.
  • sometime after 2018, next generation powertrains, which includes a 'mild hybrid' system utilizing regenerative braking (which recaptures energy to help charge the car's battery used for car's electrical systems)
  • next gen diesel, around 2020
  • full hybrid, comes after 2022

Besides the new drivetrains, the JL Wrangler's platform architecture also focuses on reduced energy demand through:

• extensive use of high strength steel and alternative materials
  • active aero system to reduce drag
  • advanced electronic systems such as axle disconnect and electric steering systems

As this chart shows, increased efficiency is clearly an important part of the next generation of Wranglers.

jl-wrangler-engines.jpg

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
Why the long wait for the diesel anyway... I'm hoping it's because the "next gen diesel" listed on the map means it should be significant improvements on the small diesel that's being used by FCA in Europe. That thing's not too impressive IMO
Let's just hope that the diesel Wrangler even makes it to the US. German regulators have discovered that FCA's diesel engines were cheating on emissions testing by "illegal use of a device to switch off exhaust treatment systems."

link - FCA accused by Germany of using emissions cheat - Automotive News

Worst case scenario is they follow in VW's footsteps and nix all future plans for selling diesels in the US.

Sponsored

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
The pickup will be out in 2019 so once the diesel engine comes in 2020 it can just be dropped into the pickup. Shouldn't be any reason for FCA to wait and hold back the diesel pickup.

sportcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars? A Jeep isn't a "car"
We have been waiting for a diesel wrangler for a long, long time. Promises have been made and dates slipped over and over. It will never happen.

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
We have been waiting for a diesel wrangler for a long, long time. Promises have been made and dates slipped over and over. It will never happen.
Did you miss these photos of a mule spotted with the DEF tank and skid plate?

http://jlwranglerforums.com/forum/t...-rubicon-diesel-mule-spied-with-def-tank.116/

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Wrangler to include gasoline, diesel, mild hybrid, full hybrid {filename}

I agree with the skepticism but until now it's all been rumors. This is solid evidence it's coming and with a new platform changeover it's the perfect time to introduce it.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Gawd I sure hope they find a better location for that!

sportcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars? A Jeep isn't a "car"
Did you miss these photos of a mule spotted with the DEF tank and skid plate?

I agree with the skepticism but until now it's all been rumors. This is solid evidence it's coming and with a new platform changeover it's the perfect time to introduce it.
A mule is one thing. A production vehicle is complete another.
Sponsored