Sponsored

New Jeep Wrangler Needs a Retro Model to Revive the Stale Styling

ddorrer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JK
Jeep really need to expand its true "Jeep" models and get away from the Italian design and highway styling. Look at other manufacturer models that are serious offroaders and will attract buyers. Bring on the VM 4 cyl diesel already. Take the Jeep Africa into production and import the "Tally" Iveco Massif under the Jeep Gladiator logo.

landscape-1426796424-africa2.jpg
iveco-massif-4x4-sw-frontetrequarti.jpg
Sponsored

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
To me that is an example of different is not always better. I agree the design should evolve a bit and the JL should give us that. Change it too much and you're messing with a good thing that sells in big numbers. After all who would buy an over styled Wrangler?

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
I thought the Wrangler was "retro?" :)

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

More special editions that are truly different and special would be nice but like XXL said, if the basic look and formula work so well why change it up radically and risk alienating fans. There's been cars that have tanked sales from a bad redesign.

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
At first I didn't like the idea of a more angled grille and windshield which I attribute to the Italians giving the car some more flair.

But after seeing it in some renderings I think it could work as long as they keep the rest of the car tough and utility looking. I think the new European bumpers actually make the car look tougher too.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
If I had the keys to the Jeep kingdom, I'd offer a small, retro, playful, simple, hardcore homage to the flat-fendered Willys jeep. I know the market says the compass and the patriot are what the people want, but a genuine Jeep, sized like the Samurai would absolutely KILL the youth and entry level off road market. Put a torky little diesel in it and minimal amenities for a low price point and I don't think they could keep up with demand. This lil thing would absolutely SLAY emerging markets as well!

PSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
If I had the keys to the Jeep kingdom, I'd offer a small, retro, playful, simple, hardcore homage to the flat-fendered Willys jeep. I know the market says the compass and the patriot are what the people want, but a genuine Jeep, sized like the Samurai would absolutely KILL the youth and entry level off road market. Put a torky little diesel in it and minimal amenities for a low price point and I don't think they could keep up with demand. This lil thing would absolutely SLAY emerging markets as well!
I could see something like that being successful. It could take on the popular small crossover segment with something that it's missing - a tough off-road capable option.

Some might say the Renegade is supposed to fill that niche but I don't think it's tough enough, hardcore enough, nor very stylish. Like you I'd love to see a small Wilys Jeep type of model. I could see it stealing sales from the many wannabe sport "activity" vehicles out there that can't do much more than carry people and groceries.

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Totally down with this idea. I just dont think it will ever happen as SUV's and trucks just keep getting bigger and bigger. Even if it didn't encroach on the 2 door Wrangler territory you see how skewed sales are for the Unlimiteds. The bean counters would never let an even smaller hardcore version of the Willys jeep unfortunately.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Totally down with this idea. I just dont think it will ever happen as SUV's and trucks just keep getting bigger and bigger. Even if it didn't encroach on the 2 door Wrangler territory you see how skewed sales are for the Unlimiteds. The bean counters would never let an even smaller hardcore version of the Willys jeep unfortunately.
Heck, the bean counters won’t even all a “hardcore” version of a base JL. You want lockers ya gotta go luxo Rubicon. I would buy a remake of an old TJ or CJ in a heartbeat, heck, I’d have bought one of the first generation of imported Mahindra Roxor’s with the diesel if getting one street legal wasn’t such a hassle. That little beast was far more “jeep” than todays luxo barge’s wearing the brand are. I’d bet a reborn “Commando” or “Jeepster” would sell. Reinvesting in the brands heritage seems to me to make a lot more sense than building Renegade, Compasses, Patriots and similar cars with a Jeep Badge
Sponsored