New Jeep Willys in Shop 5 Weeks Now

Tuckdawg

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep willy's jlu
Serv 4wd light came on after less than 2000 miles. Never put it in 4wd. No obvious problems but took to dealer to check it out to be on safe side. Dealer seems to be at a loss but thinks it's an electrical issue. Latest thing they're going to try is to replace wiring harness. That part is backordered and can't get an ETA on part. Got Jeep Cares involved. Staying positive and trying to stay out of dealers service dept way so they can fix it as that is what they do. Jeep Cares is doing what they can to get part to service dept ASAP. I love the Jeep, it's my first, but this has not been a good experience so far. I drive my vehicles till wheels fall off and take good care of them via routine maintenance. Have always been a RAM 1500 man, but have always wanted a Jeep so I pulled the trigger last summer. Has anybody else had a similar experience that can offer advise as I've never had a vehicle in a shop for this long. Should I go get my Jeep and inhale whatever new car smell is left or just leave it with service dept indefinitely till the wiring harness comes in?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Jeep service departments are absolutely horrible. Communication is severely lacking and they don't have the technical skills necessary to work on complex systems. It sounds like they are guessing. What wiring harness are they replacing? Have they even told you?

OP
OP

Tuckdawg

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep willy's jlu
Jeep service departments are absolutely horrible. Communication is severely lacking and they don't have the technical skills necessary to work on complex systems. It sounds like they are guessing. What wiring harness are they replacing? Have they even told you?
They hooked to computer and first changed transfer case module then something near fuse box and neither fixed. Then they said they would "change wiring harness." I asked which one and they told me and it was over my head. You're right I think they may have hoped I would just accept that explanation and move on. I got part number 68441268AC from them and forwarded to Jeep Cares. I did ask if wiring harness didn't fix it then what was the next step to which they said they didn't know.

This service dept has followed up with me once in 5wks to give me an update. I have to call them to get an update, usually on Fridays, after I start getting worried that they forgot about me. Glad I got Jeep Cares involved as they say they contact them every 2 days.

I've never had a vehicle in a shop this long and don't know if this is all normal. I recognize and appreciate good customer service but I'm starting to smell a rat here.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
They hooked to computer and first changed transfer case module then something near fuse box and neither fixed. Then they said they would "change wiring harness." I asked which one and they told me and it was over my head. You're right I think they may have hoped I would just accept that explanation and move on. I got part number 68441268AC from them and forwarded to Jeep Cares. I did ask if wiring harness didn't fix it then what was the next step to which they said they didn't know.

This service dept has followed up with me once in 5wks to give me an update. I have to call them to get an update, usually on Fridays, after I start getting worried that they forgot about me. Glad I got Jeep Cares involved as they say they contact them every 2 days.

I've never had a vehicle in a shop this long and don't know if this is all normal. I recognize and appreciate good customer service but I'm starting to smell a rat here.
I would take my Jeep out of there immediately. "Over your head" means the service advisor has no f'ing clue what is going on.

It's not normal and it's not okay.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
They probably know what needs to be done, but canā€™t get authorization to do it. There was a thread awhile back about a guy who had to have an entire Rubicon axle replaced because a small, inexpensive part inside of it broke and there was no replacement for it. Jeep didnā€™t want to replace a $3500 axle assembly but had to in the end due to the way they specify assemblies from outside suppliers.

Talk to the general manager for the dealer. If you get no answer, contact an attorney that handles these type of issues. Donā€™t mention lawyer or attorney to anyone in the dealer because then they no longer have to talk directly to you and will move your Jeep out to the storage row.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tuckdawg

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep willy's jlu
Thanks for the response. Again I'm trying to stay positive about it and will give Jeep a chance to make good on their product, but there is a limit. This has got to be an easy fix I would think.

OP
OP

Tuckdawg

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep willy's jlu
Why would you think that?
Just a loose connection or bad wire I would think is the problem which should be a case of tracing connections which shouldn't take this long. But I've never worked in an auto service center before.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Given all of this, I would definitely consider lemoning it. EFF Jeep, FCA and this dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tuckdawg

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep willy's jlu
5 weeks?

have you considered the Lemon Law process?
Yes I've considered it but giving service department a chance to fix. Hoping to avoid making mountain out of a molehill.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Just a loose connection or bad wire I would think is the problem which should be a case of tracing connections which shouldn't take this long. But I've never worked in an auto service center before.
So what you're saying is you have no idea what's wrong, but hope it is something small. What you've just described is one of the hardest problems to solve, an intermittent connection problem.

Reactions: GtX

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Yes I've considered it but giving service department a chance to fix. Hoping to avoid making mountain out of a molehill.
ā€œA chance to fixā€? A ā€molehillā€?

FCA and the Dealer and JeepCares have had 5 weeks of chances. YOU have been without your vehicle for 5 weeks. Will 5 turn to 10 and 10 to 20?

there is only one party here who actually gives a crap about anything...... and that is you. FCA and this dealer do not care about you. They simply donā€™t care. You are trying to play nice with a dealer who insults your intelligence (ā€˜over your headā€), never calls to give you updates, and just leaves your Jeep on the back lot to rust. I would be raising holy hell as of 4 weeks ago..... and at this point, I would be telling FCA and the dealer that they have 5 days left to fix it before you lemon it.

BTW, that part number that you mention has been replaced with a new harness and is available to ship on the internet right now...... so much for the ā€œback orderā€ bullshit.

https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/WIRING-BODY/14828259/68441268AD.html

if they wanted to fix your problem, they could.

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Just lemon it, this shouldn't be your problem and its been in the shop way too long. I lemoned a 2015 VW GTI after it was in the shop for 32 days and the process was painless. The DSG broke due to a manufacturing error and VW kept shipping a new unit in cardboard packaging so they got damaged in transit, twice. And this was a $8500 transmission, morons. After it had been over 30 days, I told the dealer that they need to buy it back or I'll be contacting a lawyer. VW authorized the buyback and I went and picked up an identical one the next day. Then the replacement started misfiring and going into limp mode randomly a month later, so I said good riddance and sold it for a Camaro with a reliable LS3 but that's another story.

OP
OP

Tuckdawg

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep willy's jlu
Thanks for the input. I'll ponder on this.
Sponsored