First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
I bet your glad you have a 60,000 mile warranty. Maybe you can get a Chrysler powertrain warranty to cover to 150k miles or a lifetime. The cost on those are reasonable.

If they traded you a new Jeep the next one could have the same issue. Why take that chance? This issue has been around since this engine was introduced in 2011.
Sponsored

OP
OP

cSquared

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Fair point. Jeep customer care should have offered up an extended warranty at their expense

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I would push for extended warranty. If you don’t get it, trade that sucker in before warranty is up. It’s only a mechanical object that can be easily replaced. Not worth losing sleep over it. At least Wranglers hold their value so far. Who knows with the JL. They could be producing turds.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Why should Jeep even offer a warranty if everybody that has a problem just wants a new vehicle? It sucks to be "that guy" but everything has a failure rate where something is going to fail early, later or anywhere between during the life cycle of the vehicle.

If FCA is covering it under warranty, they have meet their obligations. If you can swing an extend warranty out of it, great but it is not an entitlement for just being unlucky.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Why should Jeep even offer a warranty if everybody that has a problem just wants a new vehicle? It sucks to be "that guy" but everything has a failure rate where something is going to fail early, later or anywhere between during the life cycle of the vehicle.

If FCA is covering it under warranty, they have meet their obligations. If you can swing an extend warranty out of it, great but it is not an entitlement for just being unlucky.
I agree with your statement. Since the dealer is replacing rocker arms, I would be concerned there might be other internal damage to the cams, valves, valve seats, pistons? If something is faulty with the transmission and the dealer gives me a replacement factory fresh transmission then great. But if the dealer says they will replace some internal parts in my engine, well no thank you. Give me a factory fresh engine as well (or new heads). I didn’t pay a ton of money on a new Jeep so the dealer can rebuild my engine at 1,000 miles. Although maybe the dealer’s rebuilt engine might be better than a factory fresh FCA Mexican built 3.6.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
I agree with your statement. Since the dealer is replacing rocker arms, I would be concerned there might be other internal damage to the cams, valves, valve seats, pistons? If something is faulty with the transmission and the dealer gives me a replacement factory fresh transmission then great. But if the dealer says they will replace some internal parts in my engine, well no thank you. Give me a factory fresh engine as well (or new heads). I didn’t pay a ton of money on a new Jeep so the dealer can rebuild my engine at 1,000 miles. Although maybe the dealer’s rebuilt engine might be better than a factory fresh FCA Mexican built 3.6.
They didn't rebuild your engine, the most likely failure was the lash adjusters. If there was no noise then it's unlikely the rollers on the rocker arm failed. When your there you replace it all. To have that job done is alot less intrusive than an engine replacement.

OP
OP

cSquared

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Just picked it up last night and so far so good. Jeep contacted me this week and offered me the lifetime max extended warranty with 200 deductible. I'm glad they are standing behind their product.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
My jeep is in right now for cylinder misfires,....I'm hopeful it's something small, and not as intrusive as yours

Sponsored

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Good luck.
Looks like I have the same issue as you. Originally diagnosed at one dealer to be the cylinder deer head, but it didn't sound right to me, so getting second opinion. They're in the process of inspecting rocker arms now, as this dealer actually called FCA.

Jeep Canada customer service also offered me nothing, though said if she escalated this, she might be able to get me a free oil change!

I don't like the idea of ripping the engine apart before it's even been broken in, let alone if it was 100,000km down the road.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I blame the craptastic 0W20 water that they call "oil". In a quest to squeeze every MPG they can out of these things to make the EPA happy, we're seeing engine longevity decrease on these modern engines. This thread is yet another reason why my JL will never see 0W20 oil again once my free service visits are used up.
Sponsored