Sponsored

New Jeep Registration Ordeal

Griz711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I've debated for several days as to whether I should post this or not. Hopefully someone may find this useful.

I'm a first time Jeep owner/buyer. I spent some time doing my research and talking with other owners and figuring out the pros and cons of new/used and different models. I spoke with a number of dealers throughout the Midwest, and I finally found what appeared to be a fair deal from AutoNation Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram North Fort Worth in June.

The salesman I dealt with was fantastic! We had all the details worked out, model, options, etc. I had to fly down to Ft Worth and drive back to Kansas. The salesman met me at the airport first thing in the morning in what would soon be my new 2019 Rubicon and got us coffee on the way to the dealership.

The paperwork went quickly and from what I could tell, correctly. We were heading back to Kansas inside of two hours.

In July I went to try and register the vehicle, but was unable to do so because I did not have the manufacturers statement of origin. I contacted my salesman, but he was unavailable, and I was told one of the finance people would help (Mr. P). After about 6 attempts over the course of a week to contact him via email and phone (none of which were returned), I finally spoke to him. I was told that the dealership had made an error in collecting the taxes for the sale.

I was out of state and they calculated the sales taxes for an in-state purchase. I asked them to send me the MSO, and I would pay the remaining taxes here in Kansas. This was refused. They wanted me to put the outstanding balance on a credit card. At this time, there was still no documentation provided to show any error.

I was not comfortable with this demand for additional payment,without documentation, and again asked about just paying the difference in Kansas. Mr. P said he would check on this and get back with me.

Two days later I received a message stating that I had to pay the difference and they could take a credit card over the phone. I called back and spoke with Mr. P and confirmed the following details.

AutoNation would not provide MSO to me, and allow me to pay difference in taxes
Johnson County, Ks. required MSO to register vehicle.
AutoNation miscalculated taxes, wanted payment by credit card.
No documentation provided showing this error. All statements were verbal.
Even though they had made the mistake, and had not sent the MSO to Kansas, they had not made any attempt to contact me about the problem.

Mr. P had been the finance officer working my sale, and he was the one who had made the error. At no time did I receive any apology about this.

Initial contact was made with AutoNation on July 26. On August 8, I finally had to contact the General Manager at the dealership, Mr. B. We spoke and he said he would look into it. On Aug. 9 he left me message stating he thought he had a solution and would sent out the MSO. He wanted to confirm my email address first though. I replied to Mr. B. on Aug 11 or Aug 12 and left him my email address and phone number.

On Aug 14, I went to the Johnson County Ks, DMV to finish everything. After waiting over an hour, I found they had no record of the MSO, again...

I called Mr. B back again that day and was told they had another miscommunication and would get that MSO out that day. I will say that my temp tags had expired, but AutoNation did issue me another temp tag for the Jeep.

Today, August 16, I verified that the MSO had been delivered. Not to the DMV, but to a titling company. OK, fine. I went in to the office to see about getting the MSO document. Once the document was found, the lady I spoke with said that she would have to contact the dealership again and sent it back, because they had not filled out the document completely! She said that it would be at least 3-4 more days before anything could be done, that is if AutoNation turned the document around quickly!

So now I am once again waiting on AutoNation to try an fix this. I'm not hopeful. I've spoken with Jeep about this and they were going to open a formal complaint, but I don't know if that will do much good.
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Unfortunately, this is common dealership BS. You just have to keep on them about it. They will make it feel like you are inconveniencing them when it was their mistake l.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Holy Crap Griz! Maybe them paying the difference in the sales tax would be a way to START to make up for your frustration and for your time. How sad when the sale is the most important thing, the almighty buck is made, and then "see ya' later, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out." Sad, sad, sad. And all too common.

yardsale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I too had a bad experience with AutoNation, but in California. I would never buy from them again. They seem too big to care.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I had a bad experience with one in Denver but an awesome one with another. They are not all the same I promise you. I didn’t purchase from the bad one fortunately. I got ahold of another and explained the situation and they more than redeemed the Autonation name so far.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
That's why I'm glad dealers in Nebraska don't factor sales tax into the deal. They leave it up to the buyer to pay sales tax when its registered.
Sponsored