Sponsored

New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 3.6 Auto
Owned nothing but Jeeps. Last one was a JKU Rubicon Diesel with the stupid eurospec 2.8liter inline four cylinder, coupled to the 5speed auto. First one was a 4.0liter XJ Low Output and now a 3.6l JLU Rubi automatic.

Why Jeep: The first ride I ever took after coming into this world in '85, was home from the hospital in my dads naked CJ7 V8.
To no ones suprise, I lost the fight against my family genes just like my brother did before me...

And yes, my dad still owns that CJ.

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP? Untitled
Sponsored

violar

First Name
Viola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
No owner but thinking about buying .
We rented one for a week on vacation this summer. Found there to be ample space for 2 adults, 2 kids, and a week's worth of luggage for all of us. I love the 6 speed and how it makes you feel like you're driving a truck. Short wheelbase makes for good parking lot maneuverability.

Last edited:

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
I should find pics but I sold my '21 Toyota Tacoma OR and ordered a '21 4xe Rubicon. I miss the truck and it was my first truck but I really wasn't happy with the gas mileage. I've had sports cars pretty much all my life and just bought a truck on a whim and used it for 22k miles in 10 months. Sold it for $1k less than what I bought it for and now I'm waiting for my Gecko Green 4xe.
The wife asks if we made the right decision ordering the green one versus a granite grey or hydro blue but oh well too late now. It should be ready in about 2-3 weeks so we'll see how it goes.
The wife wants a convertible like vehicle to have fun and I don't mind better gas mileage/electric ability and still be able to go off roading.

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP? 20210804_190728

RoadRouge

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Traded my 2019 Honda Civic Si in for the 2021 Sahara. Why? Well I have a 2017 Honda Civic Type R and I have a 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster, so it made sense to get rid of a "like" another car and get something different. Why Jeep? I've driven and ridden in Jeeps for years, just never owned one. Several folks at work have them and I had the opportunity to check them out more closely and talk to other owners. We have a RV so the Jeep is ideal for a toad vehicle. I liked the idea of dragging the Jeep with us RVing and using it to explore the areas. Being a 4x4 it made more sense. Now that I have the Sahara I am liking it alot. Ergonomically it is incredible. I love the ACC! Plus, I have all these Jeep owners waiving to me now. Whoever thinks the Jeep waive is not a cool thing is a stick in the mud! I love it.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
My previous vehicle is still here, a 2007 Cadillac CTS-V. I do/did most of my driving on pavement and liked driving sports sedans. I wanted to reduce my work hours and do more camping in Utah. As this plan came together in my mind I realized I needed a vehicle adequate to do some pretty significant trails. I'm still more on the side of using the Jeep to do the trails that take me to the areas I want to go, rather than doing the trails for trails sake.
I've driven sports sedans most of my life but my wife owned a Grand Cherokee WJ at one time and we did a lot of trails with that.

Sponsored

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
driven 94 suburban, 2001 tahoe, 2007 Yukon denali, 2015 Yukon denali. You see the pattern. enter 2021 and we realize we can get almost what we paid for the 15 yukon. factor in gas - almost $100 a fill and going to get worse. We start researching ALL plugin hybrids that are a step down from the Yukon in size, all kids grown so down size. Issue is my wife likes to SEE when she drives. THEN I saw that Jeep has a hybrid and I suggested it to the wife. She is like...whaaat. But has always wanted a jeep. Perfect for our daily trip into town life style. Compared to all other SUV hybrids (yes, not a SUV, Jeep nailed it for us in that category. Figured around $1500-1600 annual fuel savings using one 'charge' a day. We love it. will go off road but not anywhere where the belly pans are required.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Drove an '07 GMC Sierra since.....well....2007. Had been shopping/building new full-sized pickups, but rented a Jeep on a trip in 2019 and it planted the seed. Taking an honest look at my usage, I've never once towed anything with my truck, and had a bed cover on for 99.9% of the time. Kids are bigger so almost done with boosters, figured I'd look harder at Jeeps.

Hemmed and hawed over trims and such for months, finally pulled the trigger on my Sahara Altitude and I love it. Fits better in the garage with more room, gets ~2x the mpg that my truck did, and it's one of the most fun vehicles I've driven.

Coming from a truck, the way the seat "sits" was of the utmost importance. My wife has a Lexus RX350 and while it's nice, it doesn't sit like a truck. It sits like an SUV/car. The Jeep sits like a truck.

Taken it to the local offroad park a few times already, had a blast. REALLY looking forward to gearing up for some camping trips and getting into overlanding - more my style vs rock crawling, but it's fun to have options.

Revs2ninegrand

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I just sold my 18 Ram Rebel for a JLUR because it saved garage space and it's a more "fun" vehicle for the weekends. Didn't drive the truck much anymore due to having a company vehicle and my wife drives her Tahoe so the truck just sat.

Fast Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willis
I traded my 2020 Ranger for My 2021 JLUR WIILIS.

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
The Jeep that I ordered and have yet to receive is replacing my 2017 RZR 1000 XP-4

Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I had a `15 Ford Edge before I got the Rubicon 4Xe. I didn't look back at my Ford when I parked somewhere. I didn't go out to the garage at random times to look at my Ford. I didn't smile every time I walked up to my Ford. I didn't get people waving at me in the Ford. I didn't get people asking me about my Ford when I was at traffic light.
I'm able to carry two kayaks on the roof. I can pull our boat on our trailer. I've gone place I would never have taken our Ford. It's all good.

The Jeep is a hoot!

son-of-odin

First Name
Thorvald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Rubicon 392 XR, '11 Ford F350 Super Duty
What cars have you owned before getting into a Jeep, and what made you switch? Any regrets?
I sold my 2016 Dodge Charger 392 for the 2021 Jeep Rubicon 392. I bought the Charger with the intent of keeping her for a long, long time. I loved her and took great care of her. 33,000 miles on her was all. She was a fun car to drive, but there were times I had to be super careful, in lots of ways.

When I saw Jeep had the Rubicon 392, it was a "sign from heaven." Not really, but kind of. I've always loved Jeeps. Back in the early 90s I had a 1972 CJ5 that got totaled. I didn't have the time or the resources to get it fixed up properly. Ever since then I've wanted another one. Now, at the age of 50, it's about time I get what I'll have the most fun in, right? While the Charger was fun, the Jeep will be even more fun. I just got mine (after ordering it in September) a week ago and haven't gone off-road yet and haven't taken the top off yet, either (it's cold in Utah...). Going off-road will happen very soon--later today, in fact--but I'm going to have to be patient to take the top off. I'm okay with that!

No regrets, with any of it. My wife drives a 2020 Audi Q7 that I love, as well, but the Jeep is my top choice. I love the option of going anywhere and anytime, and with the 392, I can do that pretty darned fast. "It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

IMG-3318.jpg

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
My last car was a Jeep TJ bought new in 2000. I tend to keep autos a long time, if I like them, and the way I decided on the TJ back then: I asked myself what auto will I still want to own 10 years from now? 20 years from now? The TJ still passes that test today. There are a couple sports cars that might have passed that test back then too, but I needed a back seat for my daughters, and the TJ just barely qualified (much better than the YJ for keeping an ex happy about kid safety). The reason for the JLR today is that I needed a (new) auto that can do what a Jeep does (explore national parks offroad, crawl trails, etc.), and didn't need an auto that does regular car stuff (efficient road trips, town run-about, although the JLR does those things well too). 20+ years ago in 2000, I thought there might eventually be a better alternative than a Jeep, but there really is not, and with the JL they kept everything that is good about the TJ and they fixed everything that isn't. Meanwhile, having it keeps me from buying a sports car, or yet another motorcycle. It's a good win.

son-of-odin

First Name
Thorvald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Rubicon 392 XR, '11 Ford F350 Super Duty
My last car was a Jeep TJ bought new in 2000. I tend to keep autos a long time, if I like them, and the way I decided on the TJ back then: I asked myself what auto will I still want to own 10 years from now? 20 years from now? The TJ still passes that test today. There are a couple sports cars that might have passed that test back then too, but I needed a back seat for my daughters, and the TJ just barely qualified (much better than the YJ for keeping an ex happy about kid safety). The reason for the JLR today is that I needed a (new) auto that can do what a Jeep does (explore national parks offroad, crawl trails, etc.), and didn't need an auto that does regular car stuff (efficient road trips, town run-about, although the JLR does those things well too). 20+ years ago in 2000, I thought there might eventually be a better alternative than a Jeep, but there really is not, and with the JL they kept everything that is good about the TJ and they fixed everything that isn't. Meanwhile, having it keeps me from buying a sports car, or yet another motorcycle. It's a good win.
Speaking of motorcycles...I miss riding, but I stopped trusting other drivers a long time ago so haven't owned a motorcycle in 10 years. I miss it, but I hope the Jeep will help scratch that itch a bit.

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
We had an 08 Jeep Liberty that we loved, sadly had to sell it off for a minivan to be able to transport 3 kids and her mom for cancer treatments. She’s been longing for a wrangler ever since and about to pull the trigger on one in the coming weeks!
Sponsored