Sponsored

New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP?

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP? E569239A-D35D-4633-8ECE-F11C99EB694C
Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP? 9D1593B8-5B52-4712-AAEC-2CC69012C0E6

Loved my RAM 1500, but no longer needed the big truck capability any longer. Always wanted a Jeep…
Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I’ve had two JKs. A very well built 2012 4dr then a moderate built 2dr. The 2dr was fun but I liked the extra space of a 4dr more. Well I traded the 2dr on a 2019 Ram Rebel. I loved that truck. Powerful and capable of needed. But I realized I was never going to trail ride it anywhere around where I live. I was just vain enough to not want trail pin strips On it lol. A problem I don’t seem to have with my jeeps. Lol. Wel I traded the Ram on a 2021 JLUR last June. Lifting it this weekend and putting on 37” tires. I missed jeeps more than I wanted to admit. I got a great trade price on the Ram and paid way less than msrp on the Jeep. Not as good as from one of the 8% below invoice dealerships. But still got a good deal on a Jeep set up close to what I’d have ordered.

I couldn’t find a picture of my 2015 silver jk on my phone.

8229182B-AD06-43AD-9229-2F0DF2B9E268.jpeg

E915CD69-00F5-4A76-95D1-0ADAA5E7E3A0.jpeg

516187F9-4707-4D7C-814F-E954E4AAED3E.jpeg

RLC2020

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
The JLU is my wife's car, before that she had a 2010 Liberty which she loved, traded that for a 2017 Cherokee with the 2.4L. That thing was a dog, but it was comfortable at least. We decided to go bigger with the new baby on the way and got a 2017 Buick Enclave which was gorgeous and huge and everything you would want for a mom mobile. Except, she kept going back to how much she loved her Liberty. She liked the boxy, body on frame look and ride, hated the bubble enclave and Cherokee look. She also always wanted Bikini Pearl, so we decided to throw comfort and practicality out the window and get her the BP JLU that she really wants. So far, she's in love with it and I am too.

I nearly bought a Gladiator for myself last year. I had a Ram 1500 at the time and really wanted a truck with a stick shift. I ended up with a 2021 Titan XD because I wanted the towing capacity, otherwise I'd be driving a gladiator for sure. I still have one saved in the build configurator and maybe someday when I don't need the full size truck I'll grab one.

Last edited:

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
My last "car" was a truck.

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP? 20170615_105715

We did the RV thing for a long time. After retiring, and moving to Arizona, storage of the RV became an expensive issue. Plus the costs to insure & maintain it were increasing. So, with the retirement came a lifestyle change...no more RVs and we decided we'd rather get into the great outdoors in a different fashion. So, the Ram was traded in on the Willys and we are having a blast with it.

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP? 07

Last edited:

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
My last cars were a 14' C63 AMG (stock) and an 18' JLUR, moderately built out.
Enjoyed driving the jeep, but was slow as balls. The car was fast but in many ways less fun.
Sold both to get a Wrangler 392 - best of both worlds. About 1400 miles in, very happy, "no ragrets."

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
F150 and Mini Cooper S Clubman, the older one hidden 3rd door. I always wanted a Jeep and don’t need a vehicle.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
2012 F-150 for me. I friggin' loved that truck but we drove the hell out of it and it had 150k+ miles on it. The stuff was starting to break on it was taking a substantial percentage of its resale value. That and I'm approaching a time where we'll have another driver in the family and third car in the driveway. The truck took up an entire side of the driveway all by itself.

I always told my wife my mid-life crisis would not be another woman; it would be a car. All my life I've only ever had "practical" cars. I'd like Jeeps well enough but when they released the One-Touch roof, I fell in love. When the pandemic hit, I said, "f*** it!" and pulled the trigger. Figured off-roading was something safe to learn while the world is one lockdown.

Now, my Rubicon makes me happier than any car I've ever been in, let alone owned. I saw someone on this forum awhile back call it a "mental health machine." I couldn't agree more with that sentiment.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
In the last year and a half I went from a 2018 wrx to a 2009 sienna to a 2021 type r to a 2021 wrangler.

Bought the WRX brand new, loved it, wanted to get a house, can only afford fixer-uppers near me. Can't fix up a house with a WRX.

Figured a van would be plenty, about to buy a house I'd save some money and buy used, got the 2009 sienna.

C-virus comes right as I'm starting to go see houses, don't end up buying one. Keep van all of 2020 as prices skyrocket. By 2021 I'm convinced I'm not buying a house any time soon.

No reason to be driving van anymore I figure I'd get another sporty car, found a type r at MSRP and went for it. 8 months of it and I'm too old, tall, fat to daily that thing, Im 6'5" with a 28" inseam, I have to have one of the tallest torsos mankind has ever seen.

My quest for maximum headroom begins and wranglers are quickly on my radar. I start reading forums and find a mod by desert does it that drops the seat 2" lower than stock and decide that's my best bet. Bought a wrangler a month ago and 3 days after picking it up I'm cutting the seat up with a grinder.

Lowered down seat took getting used to but I love this wrangler. I can walk right out of it without having to jump like I did with the civic. My head can touch the roof still but I'm really stretching to make that happen now.

Looking forward to testing snow performance and pulling cute girls out of ditches, usual wrangler things.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
My Fiancé had 2007 Toyota Highlander which is the vehicle that her Jeep replaced.

Why a Jeep Wrangler? My fiancé came from a relationship where she never had a say in what vehicle she drove, her ex would just come home with a new leased SUV, she didn't even get to pick out the color. She bought the used Highlander after her divorce, paid it off and was saving up for a new vehicle. We started talking about a new vehicle last summer and we looked at Wranglers in the summer of 2020.

My family has a cottage on Cape Cod and I plan to move and eventually retiring there. I had planned to get a Jeep at some point when I move to the cape. The Jeep works for towing my small boat as well. It will start off a daily driver and eventually become a beach vehicle. I also had a Corvette convertible in my 20's and 30's, so between the car and boat, I really enjoy open air driving.

My fiancé's birthday is February, I discussed terms with the dealer beforehand and made an appointment to visit the dealer. On her birthday weekend this year, I told her I would put a down payment on a new car ad asked her if still wanted a Jeep Wrangler (I already knew the answer). We visited the dealer and ordered her Jeep.

MissRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I was driving a 2019 Subaru Outback. Honestly, I liked it, I have nothing bad to say about it. It was dependable, drove like a dream even in the rain and snow, and had plenty of cargo space. It was the ultimate practical car.

But that's just it - it was PRACTICAL.

Before that we drove a whole parade of Toyotas. We had two Tacomas, two FJ Cruisers, an Avalon Hybrid, a Prius, and a Camry (not all at the same time!). Same thing there - they were all great cars and super dependable, but oh so practical.

So why Jeep? I've always loved the way Wranglers look, but I also considered them... well, impractical. I had concerns about Chrysler longevity, worried that they were going to be junk heaps that fell apart after 50k miles, plus I easily put about 130 miles in every day on my commute, so gas and wear on the vehicle was an issue as well.

What finally got me to purchase was COVID. Remote work meant that I wouldn't be paying as much in gas or putting as much wear on it, so it seemed like a safer bet. Plus I figured that I'm not getting any younger, and between age and disease and everything else in this world, life is too short to drive a boring vehicle. Don't regret it one bit - it's so incredibly fun to drive, and I don't think I'll ever look back.

Sponsored

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited
Traded in my 2014 Focus ST last October for a 2020 JLUS. I enjoyed 5 years with that car and miss it sometimes.
Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP? 07
just handed down my 13' ST in performance blue to my son. That was my last vehicle as well. 2018 JLRU now.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
just handed down my 13' ST in performance blue to my son. That was my last vehicle as well. 2018 JLRU now.
I miss my FoST some days. I had a lot of fun for 5 years ripping around town. I ran the stock turbo with an e30 tune with full bolt on’s. I miss that 280 Hp and 390 ft lbs. That car never gave me any trouble.

Rugradu8

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ
Sold the green one for $18000 and silver one for $14500. Used the money to order a Gecko Green Willys.

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP? IMG_20210809_154044416_HDR

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP? IMG_20200725_140423184_HDR

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My last “car” is a 2018 Fiat 124 Spider, which I still own.

The Fiat and the Jeep complement each other perfectly: the Fiat is light, nimble, stylish and fun to drive; the Jeep is tough, rugged, capable and fun to drive.

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP? 2316BE0E-85EE-4E01-B3B1-B5D824816ECB
Sponsored