Sponsored

New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP?

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
In the past 5 years I have owned:

2020 JLUR
2019 JLUR
2019 RAM Big Horn Crew Cab
2018 JLU
2018 Grand Cherokee
2017 JLU
2016 JLU
2015 JLU

I like the Wrangler for my fun project vehicle. I build them up then sell at the end of the year to start over. They historically held their value so the loss wasn't bad. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case so I don't believe I'll be doing it anymore. Resale value is horrible on the JL.

The GC and Ram are smooth luxury rides. When you take a look at what you get in the RAM compared to the JL there is no comparison. If you do a considerable amount of highway driving skip the JL.
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Would miss it too! Stunning cars and great taste. Punk'n Recon is my top choice, it's too bad they discontinued it :( Hoping I get lucky with the steering too.
There's one in San Jose: https://www.stevenscreekchryslerjee...San-Jose-24d8993d0a0e0a6b2d842c1fb847df75.htm

I *LOVE* the Punk'n color! It's great.

Just be sure to give a Jeep a good test drive first. My '19 was horrible in that it pulled, wandered, and had around 3" of play in the steering wheel. My Recon has none of those issues.

My husband has a 981 Boxster and I love it–such an awesome car that we like to take on drives to the coast.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Julie,

I know that you had all sorts of issues with your prior JL. I am thrilled for you that your new JL drives well and I wish you many great adventures in it.
Thank you!

The difference in how this one steers and handles is remarkable and I am so happy with it. We can't really go anywhere, so I go in the garage to say HI :CWL:.

SCOFF44

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
My last vehicle was a '14 SVT Raptor SuperCab. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss it, but I definitely don't regret buying the Rubicon!

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
This is my other toy, bought it new but never drive it now. Probably sell it next year.
JeffsCarpics052.jpg

Wanted something I could drive year round and fun so went Jeep. I don't get you Miata owners. My parents have one and I feel like I am driving a coffin....lol.

The Miata is a heck of a lot safer than my first car, a '65 MGB with no seatbelts and minimal brakes :) (goodness, I loved that car).

You do learn to drive like you're invisible.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
I switched from a 2015 Ford Explorer. We used to have a Mustang convertible and after my wife had surgery on her hip she could no longer comfortably drive/ride in it. She ended up getting a Ford F-150 (we were definitely a Ford family). She missed having a vehicle we could ride with the top down. I've secretly wanted a Jeep for years so now (one week ago) was the time to pull the trigger. Now my upgrade wish list is growing longer and my determination to not rack up credit card debt is growing weaker.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Prior to my current '20 JLU, I had a '15 JKU. Before that I drove a 2010 Subaru Impreza Sport. Before that, I owned or leased different vehicles depending on my mood and what I was into at the time. My wife has always owned or leased a Jeep of one model or another, so when it was time to move on from my Subaru, I made the move to the JKU.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
This is my other toy, bought it new but never drive it now. Probably sell it next year.
JeffsCarpics052.jpg

Wanted something I could drive year round and fun so went Jeep. I don't get you Miata owners. My parents have one and I feel like I am driving a coffin....lol.

Nice T/A BrntWS6, I love that colour!

I almost wish I held onto my '02 Firehawk, but I couldn't pass up the chance to buy the 2010 Callaway SC572. Here's a pic of my old Firehawk (Car #C026)......

DSC01184.JPG

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
The Miata is a heck of a lot safer than my first car, a '65 MGB with no seatbelts and minimal brakes :) (goodness, I loved that car).

You do learn to drive like you're invisible.
My dad had an MGB. He never misses a chance to tell me how he liked to drive it on the sidewalks.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Nice T/A BrntWS6, I love that colour!

I almost wish I held onto my '02 Firehawk, but I couldn't pass up the chance to buy the 2010 Callaway SC572. Here's a pic of my old Firehawk (Car #C026)......

DSC01184.JPG
Thanks!

Nice....I almost bought a Firehawk. Went back and forth but found a WS6 SOM on the lot with a 6 speed. I would have loved to grab a Carl Black blackbird car but would have been too afraid to modify it.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
My dad had an MGB. He never misses a chance to tell me how he liked to drive it on the sidewalks.
hahahahhaaa!

Mine broke down all the time (it was already 20 years old when I had it), the carbs needed constant adjustment, and the top was so fiddly and required duct tape that I never bothered. For a 16 year-old it was heaven on earth despite the issues. I loved it.

I'd love to get another one someday, especially a white over red like mine.

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
Love the orange for both!

I own a Rubicon but would have probably bought a WILLYS if it were available when I bought. Only thing I might change would the MT tires for ATs like the K02s. Tons of cheap take-off Rubicon wheels and tires so that is a easy fix.

Congrats on your Willys!
Thanks, I do miss the mustang but have to admit even just driving the Jeep to work, when I could, was more fun than I expected. I have plans to change the wheels and tires and the other norms of owning a Jeep. Now that orange is no longer a color you can get I may just build this on a rubicons level. We'll see how all this craziness plays out, but at this point, I just want to take it down a nice trail and get a feel for what these things can do.

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
JeffsCarpics052.jpg

Dreamed of owning that car when I was 16. Still love the styling and miss seeing the T-tops of old. My last car was an Audi A4. As most have said, fun car to drive but I have never loved driving as much as I do this Wrangler.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
2005 GMC Crew Cab SLT Z71 loaded. 15 mpg all day long. It was handy but at 220K, time to move on. Previous vehicle was a 2000 Grand Cherokee that I drove everywhere. 245K and still strong when I sold it.

Daily driver is a '19 JLU Sahara 2.0 Turbo with the HD brakes, towing package, cold weather group, LSD. Command-Trac, too. Monday marks a full year of ownership and it's all been great. None of the issues that others have reported except I had to replace the windshield at 6 months (rock at 80 mph on the KS Turnpike). There's that. :D Average mpg on 91 octane is 23.

I originally had planned to wait for a Gladiator but have no regrets. Just bought a 3 rail motorcycle trailer and called it good. I'd buy another JLU in a heartbeat, too. Cheers!
Sponsored