Sponsored

New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP?

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Sarge Green/Tan, '16 Mazda Miata BBS
Occupation
E-Commerce
Hey all! New to this forum and excited to join the community. I have decided to get a 2020 JLU Rubicon or Recon as my next car and am curious what you new Jeep owners owned before.

Coming from a 2016 Mazda Miata ND, it will definitely be a big change. I have absolutely loved owning and driving this car. 2300 lbs, short gears, and no top just create a perfect storm of fun. Having such fun car created quite a dilemma for me. After driving this, every sports/performance car I looked at within a reasonable price range has been a disappointment.

This got me thinking--if I can't get more fun out of a sports car than what I already had, what about a different KIND of fun? Enter the Wrangler. I have always deeply loved the design of Wranglers, and with the improved interior and engine options of the JL, it was a really compelling thought. I love camping and the outdoors, and all of the romantic thoughts of adventure and accessing remote places got me excited. I then rented a 2.0T Rubicon on Turo, and turns out, the driving experience wasn't as bad as I imagined. The 2.0T was surprisingly quick and responsive, and steering wasn't the mess I expected. I took it on a curvy road to Malibu, and it was actually kinda fun hustling this brick along! All that said, I am sold on the idea.

These two cars are incredibly different, but I find a lot of "philosophical" similarities to the approach to them. Both of them:
-have a storied heritage
-are relatively affordable, with millions sold over the years
-were designed with a clear priority, with other car things falling suit after. The Mazda: fun to drive. The Jeep: Go anywhere.
-look AMAZING inside and out.
-have an incredible top down experience

Ultimately, I realized that the cars I fall in love with are masters of their trade. Before my Miata, I had a 2015 VW GTI MK7. It did everything well--was fun to drive, incredibly comfortable, practical with the hatch, and had great fuel economy. But I didn't love it like I love my Mazda, with all of its compromises.

What cars have you owned before getting into a Jeep, and what made you switch? Any regrets?
Sponsored

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
I picked up my 2020 JLR almost a month ago, I came from a 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road and a 2011 VW GTI. The GTI was retired with 286K on it and the Taco was a weekend ride. My reasons for buying the Jeep were simple, I wanted a vehicle capable of going anywhere and a V6 engine that wasn't direct injected.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
No switch. Jeep is a 3rd vehicle, toy.
I have a truck, wife has a Durango for daily's. I actually didn't want the jeep, I wanted a street rod, or build a restomod.
But her dad has a Jeep JK that I drove around in the Rocky mountains. I was amazed at what I could go through with it. I was breaking trail for a UTV and a atv in 18" of snow offroad, off trail. I could easily go farther than those 2.
So I went along with the getting a Jeep thing. I love driving it locally. I still think it sucks on the freeway, but it abilities offroad make up for it.

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
After 21 years driving Corvettes I decided I wanted a change to something fun I could drive year round. I have always wanted a Jeep since my teen years experience one summer fishing, wheeling, and cruising with a buddy who's dad let him drive his new CJ5 all summer long during the week while his dad was at work. I went from a 1999 FRC Hardtop Corvette to a discounted 2019 JL Sport in January 2020. I have loved driving it here in Colorado through sunny days and even snow, That is until the pandemic lock down. Now it sits in the garage for the most part with only 800 miles on it and occasional jaunts to the grocery or liquor store. At least I have that.
From this

My 1999 C5 FRC Corvette.jpg

to this
100_5053.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

BigKahuna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon, 2015 Challenger Hellcat
Vehicle Showcase
Came from a 2015 Challenger Hellcat. Our first child was born last June, and a 2 door 700hp car just wasn't practical anymore. Loved the car, even looked for the charger version, but couldn't find one with the options I wanted for a reasonable price withing driving distance to me. So if I couldn't have 700hp I wanted to go the complete opposite direction. Enter the wrangler. So I sold the Hellcat in August and bought a 2019 unlimited Rubicon. Now my whole family can fit and it has been a blast. Just like OP, completely different kind of vehicle, I miss my hellcat everyday, but the wrangler has been a lot of fun and so worth it. My first offroad vehicle and it has been a lot to learn. Its been fun learning something new and hitting a few trails in the short time I've had it

B25pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, WWII North American Aviation T6 advanced combat trainer, 2017 Jaguar f type R
Occupation
WWII aircraft restorer/pilot
Hey all! New to this forum and excited to join the community. I have decided to get a 2020 JLU Rubicon or Recon as my next car and am curious what you new Jeep owners owned before.

Coming from a 2016 Mazda Miata ND, it will definitely be a big change. I have absolutely loved owning and driving this car. 2300 lbs, short gears, and no top just create a perfect storm of fun. Having such fun car created quite a dilemma for me. After driving this, every sports/performance car I looked at within a reasonable price range has been a disappointment.

This got me thinking--if I can't get more fun out of a sports car than what I already had, what about a different KIND of fun? Enter the Wrangler. I have always deeply loved the design of Wranglers, and with the improved interior and engine options of the JL, it was a really compelling thought. I love camping and the outdoors, and all of the romantic thoughts of adventure and accessing remote places got me excited. I then rented a 2.0T Rubicon on Turo, and turns out, the driving experience wasn't as bad as I imagined. The 2.0T was surprisingly quick and responsive, and steering wasn't the mess I expected. I took it on a curvy road to Malibu, and it was actually kinda fun hustling this brick along! All that said, I am sold on the idea.

These two cars are incredibly different, but I find a lot of "philosophical" similarities to the approach to them. Both of them:
-have a storied heritage
-were designed with a clear priority, with other car things falling suit after. The Mazda: fun to drive. The Jeep: Go anywhere.

Ultimately, I realized that the cars I fall in love with are masters of their trade. Before my Miata, I had a 2015 VW GTI MK7. It did everything well--was fun to drive, incredibly comfortable, practical with the hatch, and had great fuel economy. But I didn't love it like I love my Mazda, with all of its compromises.

What cars have you owned before getting into a Jeep, and what made you switch? Any regrets?
I was never a Wrangler fan until now. I always thought they were cheaply built, poorly assembled, and crudely designed. After years of owning Land Rover series and Defenders I was pretty much sold on that brand for off road use. the Defenders were also excellent airplane tugs, easily able to tow 23,000 lb B-25s or 44,000 lb. B-17s (work). Since the Rover days my wife owned three mini coopers and I owned several Lotus and my current Jaguar f type R. My wife decided she wanted to try the Jeep after driving a JL, and ordered one. While not quite the extreme airline tug the Defenders were, the Jeep moves our personal T6 around just fine and is a great companion on fire trails or hauling mountain bikes down to the Keys. I’m surprised by the build quality and its performance on or off road. Yes the steering is like a 1930s car but what do you expect from straight axles.

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology
Mine I have on order is a replacement for the '13 JKUR I sold last August to put solar on the new house. Now with no elect. bill, I'm ready for my diesel! My first car (in 1980) was a 1963 Willys CJ5 with a Buick V8 (wish I still had it). Since had a CJ7, TJ. '07 JK then the '13 JKUR. From '07 on, this was a 3rd vehicle as I have a company truck.

Can't wait for my Sarge Green JLURD with the one touch top!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

-have a storied heritage

The Miata is a really fun car. You will probably miss the ND a little every once in a while but I think the JL will more then keep you entertained. I owned different sports cars my entire life. including Miatas and VWs. I also have owned 3 different Wranglers, a TJ, JK and a JLR now. I still own a couple of other sports cars including a 911. The problem with high performance cars in Chicago is I can't drive them most of the time due to bumper to bumper traffic. The only real time I enjoy them is at a race track or on a road trip. I also worry about where I park, dings and wheel damage. 80% of the time I rather drive the JLR.. It makes me kind of question why I have all my other cars. The Wrangler is different experience. I never worry about where I park it. I don't worry about pot holes. It's a really fun, stress free, driving experience. There is nothing quite like driving around with the top off and doors off. I think you will love driving a Wrangler.

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Been a drop top owner for 20 years last two where Chevrolet Camaro's. Bought a house out on a Hill side in Scottsdale, AZ A mile and a half of dirt roads with 35 series tires wasn't cutting it. I couldn't keep the Camaro clean and thought 33's would look weird on Camaro. The new Blazer was a non starter. So I bought a Jeep, A dirty Jeep is a Happy Jeep!

front.jpg

4 peaks 1080.jpg

Sponsored

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
I've always had jeep for myself...just different models. My wife has always had a sportscar...just different models. So, I get the best of both worlds, but have always preferred my jeeps to her sportcars. It just doesn't feel right for me when I drive her car (which is 1-3 times per year). Maybe when she trades in her 370Z Nismo on a GTR, I might become interested, but for now this Rubicon is my project, and frankly...I just love driving the darn thing. lol

IMG_0399.jpeg

IMG_0427.jpg

Last edited:

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Until I bought2019 JLUR last year, I always had two vehicles one being the 99 Toyota Landcruiser I owned for 21+ years, ( it is now with one of my so-in-laws ) and some type of fun to drive fast cars, the last three being a highly modified Subaru STI, The a Nissan GTR and the last one was a BMW M3. I occasionally miss the hp, but I love driving only the jeep, now.
5-15-11smallsideBlaBLsm.JPG
Firstshotsm_zps5ebb4cb4.JPG
M3%20snake%201sm_zpslkg9mvba.JPG
Toy%203_zpsuzxn5nko.JPG

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I had a 2016 Miata as well and traded it in for a 2019 JLR. I had to give up my ND because it wasn’t agreeing with my bionic knee and repaired shoulder (had the 6 speed). My husband had the JKUR in my avatar and I loved the adventures we had in it. He sold it and I was really missing it. So when it became clear that I couldn’t drive the ND (I had the 30th Anniversary Edition reserved), I ordered a Punk’n JLR.

070809C7-0108-4F6E-BF5D-603675ADB7AF-X3.jpg

The trade:
IMG_5989-X3.jpg

However, my JLR had defective steering and was bought back via lemon law arbitration. On Monday I got my Recon as a replacement. The Recon steers amazingly well and I’m thrilled with it.
IMG_1404-X3.jpg

I loved my Miatas (had an NC, too) but also love my Jeep.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
2018 Tacoma TRDOR. Looked at the JLU, looked at the Gladiator, decided I still really wanted a truck for a daily. Wife still wants a red 2-door JL so I figure one of each is a good strategy.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I've owned a Jeep Wrangler of some sort for over 25 years.

Before I bought my 2019 JL Rubicon I had a 2012 JK Rubicon, and before that was a 2009 JK Rubicon, and before that was a 2006 TJ Rubicon, and before that was a plain old 1995 YJ, and the one that got me started in the Jeep life was a 1988 YJ with the 4.2L and Carter Carb.

To go along with the Jeep, I've pretty much always had an F-Body as well........1979 WS6 T/A, 1988 GTA, 1997 T/A, 2002 Firehawk, and my current fair weather vehicle, a 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro.

Some might say I'm a Redneck! LOL

Callaway_Camaro_08_2.jpg

Callaway_Camaro_09.jpg

SJ_Callaway_02.jpg
Sponsored