Sponsored

New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP?

miguelroboso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Last car was a Mazda3. Decent car, but I wanted something that does more than taking me from A to B.

I wanted to go farther.

I got a 2020 Rubicon, so far I love it, and then Coronavirus...
Sponsored

bzjeep

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My first vehicle and first Jeep was a 1993 Wrangler with the 4.0L and a 5-speed. My dad and I modified it together and I drove it until I graduated high school. After graduation, I found a fun little Mazda3 hatchback with a 5-speed and rocked that for about 6 months until I was hit head-on which totaled it.

After that, I was having trouble finding affordable Jeep Wranglers that weren't already heavily modified or had extremely high miles, so I opted for a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited with the V8. Unfortunately, that turned into an electrical AND mechanical nightmare (at 97k, threw a rod while out of state on vacation and numerous electronics failures after that) for me and my wife being newly-weds, so we traded it in on the lease of a new Mazda3 sedan. We drove that until we had our first kid at which point, we traded that in on a 2006 Nissan Maxima which also became an electrical and mechanical nightmare (transmission failure at 61k and repeated CEL after that).

After that, we found a great deal on a 2005 4Runner SR5 V8 and I loved having an SUV again; however, with this one, the vehicle itself didn't have any issues, but the small dealership we bought it from did and turns out they didn't have the title themselves so I rode on temp tags for over a year. After owning that for a couple of years, we had another kid and decided it was time for something with better mileage and more room and I did the thing I never thought I'd do... purchase a minivan. We leased a 2014 Honda Odyssey and still own it today. Meanwhile, I had leased a 2013 Honda Accord as my commuter and after that, a 2016 Mazda6.

After the lease was up on the Mazda, I decided it was time for another Jeep and after searching numerous used listings for months, I finally convinced my wife that a lease of a new JLUR was the best overall option to get my Jeep fix and I've been loving having a Jeep again for the past two years! Aside from about a dozen trips to the dealership for minor issues, it's never left me stranded anywhere and since I now have a short commute, I'm still able to make a tank of gas last an entire pay period :CWL: I'd say my only regret at this point is that I don't get to wheel it often enough!

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Just shy of a year ago it was a 2007 JK 2 door. Why a Jeep? Why Not! I traded it for a 2019 JLU, still miss the 07 but it's still on the road that makes me happy!

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Ford Mustang GT/CS. I bought that car when I didn't hunt, fish, mountain bike, hike, etc. My lifestyle changed, and I spend a lot of time on rough fire roads and in the backwoods. I wanted a vehicle that supported that lifestyle and the mustang wouldn't make it a lot of places I wanted to go (literally). Well and it had to have a manual- that pretty much left the taco and JL. JL won by a mile in comparison, so that's what I bought. No regrets at all (JLU Sport S with rubi suspension and rock rails).

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
Keep the sports car - you'll regret getting rid of it even with all the fun you will have in your Jeep. They are the two extremes of awesomeness! I have a 2003 Porsche Boxster that I am so glad I still have for those sunny days on the twisty roads or trip to the track...

On the off-road front, I recently acquired a used 2018 JLUR to replace the '89 Nissan Hard Body Pickup, and '94 and '03 Explorers I have gone through over the years that aside from the Nissan were never really off road vehicles. I wanted to finally get back to the old off road days with my '66 Ford Bronco I had back in the early 80's (blew the motor on that one, started to rebuild it, then went into the military and my parents made me sell it so it wasn't their lawn ornament any longer). Flash forward to last year and I was torn between building an older vehicle (Bronco or FJ40) or buying the new Jeep that could do it all right out of the box. I'm in my 50's now and just don't have the time with kids and work to do a build (nor a wife with the patience), the cost would probably end up above the cost of the used JLUR I found , and then after doing the build I probably wouldn't want to risk destroying it anyway!

I don't regret it for a minute and had in in 4-low the second day I owned it up in the Tahoe National Forest. I LOVE my Jeep! Just wonder why it took so long...

Porsche Boxster 1.jpg
Jeep Verdi Peak 1.jpg

Sponsored

Eric200mph

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler rubicon 4dr
Hey all! New to this forum and excited to join the community. I have decided to get a 2020 JLU Rubicon or Recon as my next car and am curious what you new Jeep owners owned before.

Coming from a 2016 Mazda Miata ND, it will definitely be a big change. I have absolutely loved owning and driving this car. 2300 lbs, short gears, and no top just create a perfect storm of fun. Having such fun car created quite a dilemma for me. After driving this, every sports/performance car I looked at within a reasonable price range has been a disappointment.

This got me thinking--if I can't get more fun out of a sports car than what I already had, what about a different KIND of fun? Enter the Wrangler. I have always deeply loved the design of Wranglers, and with the improved interior and engine options of the JL, it was a really compelling thought. I love camping and the outdoors, and all of the romantic thoughts of adventure and accessing remote places got me excited. I then rented a 2.0T Rubicon on Turo, and turns out, the driving experience wasn't as bad as I imagined. The 2.0T was surprisingly quick and responsive, and steering wasn't the mess I expected. I took it on a curvy road to Malibu, and it was actually kinda fun hustling this brick along! All that said, I am sold on the idea.

These two cars are incredibly different, but I find a lot of "philosophical" similarities to the approach to them. Both of them:
-have a storied heritage
-are relatively affordable, with millions sold over the years
-were designed with a clear priority, with other car things falling suit after. The Mazda: fun to drive. The Jeep: Go anywhere.
-look AMAZING inside and out.
-have an incredible top down experience

Ultimately, I realized that the cars I fall in love with are masters of their trade. Before my Miata, I had a 2015 VW GTI MK7. It did everything well--was fun to drive, incredibly comfortable, practical with the hatch, and had great fuel economy. But I didn't love it like I love my Mazda, with all of its compromises.

What cars have you owned before getting into a Jeep, and what made you switch? Any regrets?
traded my 2017 C7 Vette for jeep,I have 2018 CTS V and my 2019 Rubicon, ,I still like taking the jeep to work it just more fun to drive, and taking off top and all doors makes it a blast to drive but it gets lot of attention , and you can do a lot of stuff to them making them all different and your own but iIam fortunate to have sports car and jeep

IMG_0844.jpg

NickL

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB
Hey all! New to this forum and excited to join the community. I have decided to get a 2020 JLU Rubicon or Recon as my next car and am curious what you new Jeep owners owned before.

Coming from a 2016 Mazda Miata ND, it will definitely be a big change. I have absolutely loved owning and driving this car. 2300 lbs, short gears, and no top just create a perfect storm of fun. Having such fun car created quite a dilemma for me. After driving this, every sports/performance car I looked at within a reasonable price range has been a disappointment.

This got me thinking--if I can't get more fun out of a sports car than what I already had, what about a different KIND of fun? Enter the Wrangler. I have always deeply loved the design of Wranglers, and with the improved interior and engine options of the JL, it was a really compelling thought. I love camping and the outdoors, and all of the romantic thoughts of adventure and accessing remote places got me excited. I then rented a 2.0T Rubicon on Turo, and turns out, the driving experience wasn't as bad as I imagined. The 2.0T was surprisingly quick and responsive, and steering wasn't the mess I expected. I took it on a curvy road to Malibu, and it was actually kinda fun hustling this brick along! All that said, I am sold on the idea.

These two cars are incredibly different, but I find a lot of "philosophical" similarities to the approach to them. Both of them:
-have a storied heritage
-were designed with a clear priority, with other car things falling suit after. The Mazda: fun to drive. The Jeep: Go anywhere.

Ultimately, I realized that the cars I fall in love with are masters of their trade. Before my Miata, I had a 2015 VW GTI MK7. It did everything well--was fun to drive, incredibly comfortable, practical with the hatch, and had great fuel economy. But I didn't love it like I love my Mazda, with all of its compromises.

What cars have you owned before getting into a Jeep, and what made you switch? Any regrets?
I traded in my HUMMER H2 after 15 years. If they were still made I’d have another H2. I chose the JLU because it was the most comparable go anywhere, do anything vehicle.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
I got rid of a 1997 Dodge Viper and got a new 2019 punk'n Rubicon Unlimited. The Viper was awesome in many ways but its rarity (only 112 built in 97) comes with a price as parts and Viper techs for the gen 2's are getting hard to come by and a 20+ yr old car will have problems. The Rubi and the Viper share one thing in common, they both offer unique driving experiences just in different ways. I have one big regret out of the trade, I wish I would have bought a Jeep years ago!!!! I've owned it 7 months now, it fits my lifestyle way better and just absolutely love this thing!!!

ipizzaipizza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Last vehicle before Rubi Sky 1 Touch was Mercedes G550. Had 2 over the past decade and wanted something similar that had a better open air driving experience. Also the cheap upgrade ability with Jeeps is a bonus. Limited after market support on the G unless you were willing to spend 5-10X.
Still love the Gs and will return to another in 2-3 years.

Raven99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Clubs

meburn3 copy.jpg

Fun thread! Here's my story: I had a '99 Formula WS6. Loved it! Sold it in 2012 with the intention of getting a new fun/project car. My daily driver was (and still is) a 2006 Scion xB. Love my Scion as well. So I started saving back in 2012 .... and then life got in the way.

....Fast forward 7 years and last summer I finally was in position again to buy another fun second car.

My finalists were 1) Miata Club 2) Camaro SS 3) Mini Cooper JCW and 4) Jeep Wrangler Sport S. All very different vehicles from each other with different reasons for and against making a purchase. After agonizing about things for months I went with the Jeep. Going on 8 months in, I could not be happier. Just waiting for warmer weather so that I can enjoy the Freedom tops more.

One thing that has changed though is that once my Scion gives up the ghost (I figure it has another 2-3 yrs left in her), my Wrangler will transition to being my daily driver and I will then get one of the remaining finalists from last summer as my second/fun/project car. Gonna keep my Wrangler relatively stock and concentrate on paying it off in 2 and a half to three years. Then I will agonize again over getting a Miata or Camaro or Mini Cooper as my next project car. ... or something else if a new car comes around that interests me in 2022 (2023 model yr) ..

Sponsored

ZA-RIG

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Eco-Diesel
Been waiting 20 years for a diesel Jeep. As soon as they came out I bought one. The engine is fantastic with as much power as you could ever want. It feels solid and is one of my most favorite vehicles I have owned among the 40 or so in my past. That includes Mercedes, Porsche, Land Rover, BMW, etc.

72BF3FF3-7682-4DE8-A56D-DEE11B640FE1.png

Mainiac

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S, 2017 Ridgeline, 2003 Corvette, 2005 S2000, 1931 Model A truck
Occupation
Retired
We primarily drive Honda's... I'm on my third Ridgeline and wife has her second CRV... as well as her pristine 2005 S2000 with 22K on it. I've always had a Jeep as an extra vehicle dating back to my first which was a 72 CJ5 Renegade V8.. most were fix-up's and toys. I gave up on Jeeps with my last TJ about 6 or 7 years ago. I was getting a little old for getting stuck I figured :) always been a muscle car guy as well, turbo Buicks etc. and my last one was a 2003 50th Anniv. Special Edition Corvette convertible Pace Car edition .. It was in like new or better condition with every option that was available, even the Museum delivery package.. problem was it only had 12K on it when I got it and I hated putting miles on so it was a garage queen for the most part. No fun... So I found it a good home with a collector and given my my age category I went out and ordered what will be my last Jeep, a Punkn 2dr Sport S 3.6 automatic with most of the toys, upgraded rear end and premium soft top and I figured I would go from there with some tasteful mods. Last summer was it's first and I put 2500 miles on it and enjoyed them all before putting it to bed for the winter. Just getting ready to break it out and browsing the catalogues right now... I'm thinking a set of nice rims and some tires that will not fill up with small stones then fling them out when I get up to speed.. nothing tall because no lift in spite of what my grandsons and sons say... I want it easy for my much used and abused body to get in and out of :) Two of the grandkids already have their license and I know this summer it will be "Papa! can I use the Jeep?" which sounds scary but I got hardened into it letting my kids use some of my cars that you wouldn't dream of... I sometimes wondered seeing them drive off but always told them you are only doing this because you have shown me that I can trust you as they leave..

cainblue49

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jl unlimited Orange on 35"
I hung on to an 03 4wd Ranger 4:10 for 280k over 12 years. Jumped in to Real Estate got a TDI Passat, 45-50MPG at 80mph sold it during TDI buyback, actually made money on the car. I loved both of those vehicles. That ranger was quick and unstoppable. TDI owned two years and 60k miles, loved the economy, liked the car. Bought a 17 Tacoma OR4wd. Cap[able but I hated the motor/drive-train, it was severely under powered. The motor was like an old 2stroke engine - all or nothing and the power didn't come in until 3500+Rpm, red light to red light it was either a drag race or driving like a grandma. Had a tune from Orange Virus tunes and it helped. Saved up for a lift and tires and an 18JLU Pumpkin Orange showed up. Always wanted a CJ/Wrangler, any of them except the square headlights. Traded the Toyota in with 65k miles that I had to baby with a 30" tire to get 20+MPG now I consistently get 20-21mpg and can baby it and hit 22-23 with a Mopar lift and 35" BFG's. For the smart arses that will comment about me worry9ing about mileage - 2500 miles/month 14MPG @$2.50/gal = ~$450/month for fuel vs 20mpg @~315/month or having and extra $135/mo or 1620/year so yes it matters to me.

Shannon

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited rubicon

-have a storied heritage

Well, I’ve owned many. In college...a long time ago...I had a CJ5 with a V-8 with no accessories. Loved it but started a family and moved on to larger more comfortable cars and SUVs. After the kids grew up, I too drove miatas, great fun, and moved from them to a 2008 jk rubicon 2 door. Loved it but the wife wouldn’t go out of the county in it due to the Rock and roll ride. Moved on to a 2015 Grand Cherokee, which is probably the best travel vehicle I’ve ever owned. Bought a second home in Colorado and missed my rubicon. Hence, I now have a 2019 rubicon JLU and love it. Wife is good with it too. So many improvements! (I still have the grand Cherokee)

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic

-have a storied heritage

Traded in a Kia Sorento SXL V6. Traded in a Range Rover Evoque for that. Traded in a Mini Cooper Countryman and a Corvetter Grand Sport before that. A VW Tiguan before that. A Honda Ridgeline before that. A Mazda B4000 4wd pickup before that. A Toyota Four Runner, Nissan Pathfinder, Ford F-150, Suzuki Sidekicks, Samurai's and a couple Land Rover Discoveries. A Willy's Jeep I learned to drive on, 84 Jeep CJ-7, a 90 Wrangler, 92 Wrangler, 95 Wrangler, 97 Wrangler, 2019 Wrangler, 19 Cherokee. 4 Harley's. A dozen or so others. No, I was never wealthy. I just worked a lot of overtime as a Paramedic and Respiratory Therapist and enjoy life and vehicles. All these vehicles were purchased new. I'm just obsessed with trucks and SUV's. What I learned from my vehicles: Don't buy any Land Rover product regardless of year new or used. Period. Consumer Reports is handy and can be helpful but has limited value overall when it comes to much of their reliability data. Everything Consumer Reports rated as highly unreliable was only true with Land Rover vehicles and that's it. My Jeeps have always been extremely reliable. As good or better then any of the Japanese makes I've had. My favorite vehicles of all time were my Wranglers. My current 2019 Sahara JLE is my favorite vehicle of all time period. I love driving it every minute I'm in it. Not so much as a squeak or rattle or anything in my first 17,000 miles. My wife's Cherokee is very comfortable and very reliable as well. Jeeps all the way. I Love love love them.
Sponsored