Sponsored

New Jeep Owners: What was your last car, and WHY JEEP?

Yngwie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sarge Green JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Where the hell is that thing parked ?
Looks like at the mall
I guess youre right. Not many people have a need for a pallet jack at their house !

What? Isn't that what everyone's garage looks like?

Actually, it was at the dealer's service department at Loeber Motors. I have all my maintenance done there, they wash it after every service, and the lighting is so nice for a photo.
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I have loved jeeps my whole life...this one is my 6th...In the past I have traded from sports car to jeep then back to sports car then to jeep etc....hoping this is the last. I really love this one and it fits all that I need and want.
my last trade 2 door for my newest 2 door!

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_2942.jpeg

IMG_2950.jpeg

Mall Crawler

First Name
James and Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Never had a Jeep but wanted one for over 15 years now. Almost bought one on multiple occasions and finally pulled the trigger. The civic got me loving mods and the challenger introduced me to mopar. Wish I had to money and space for all three! Loved both these cars but not as much as the Jeep!!!!!!

21354FE9-E11B-4FB6-8C9C-B4E0966D7CB3.jpeg

3F16EE0B-A17A-47D4-A34C-D3FC4C540B8B.jpeg

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
About 1980 I was dating a girl who drove a 1967 VW bug. The only problem with it was that the clutch slipped as she went through the gears. First was fine. Go to second gear..... no power then BANG ...... your head snapped back as the clutch grabbed...... same with third gear...... made for some “lively” driving.
I've dated a lot of girls where third was really hard to get to. Oh, wait, you said "gear", not "base"...

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
first car was a used 1986 ford tempo in 1996 for $1500. that car was a beast. tranny took a $hit somewhere at 130k miles. would of cost me $1600 to fix. so scrap it and got a new 1999 chevy cavalier for $15k. great car. sold it to my brother in 2007 with 78k miles. he still has it and running with 210k miles. picked up a 2007 jeep grand cherokee new for $25k. needed a 4wd for work. great truck. wished i got the hemi vs 3.7 v6 because v6 was getting tired and sucking a lot of gas. in 2019 the motor took a dump at 91k miles. sold that for $1500 may of 19 got a 2019 jl sport 2 door. decided on a small, simpler, nothing fancy vehicle that was a 4x4. the wrangler was prefect because it a 4x4 with solid axles and striped down model with 4 options that i wanted, plus plenty of aftermarket to build it the way i want it.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
My 2019 JLUR replaced my 2008 Infiniti FX35. It had 170K trouble free miles and was donated to the California Make a Wish Foundation.

I have previously owned 3 other 4x4 vehicles, but none were a Jeep. In searching for a new vehicle, I felt that it was time for another 4x4 after a long time being without one. Long story short, I purchased a 2019 JLUR. Some 17 months and 27,xxx perfect and fun filled miles later, I love this Jeep.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I had an absolute base Cherokee Sport when they did the redesign back in 2014. Kept it for three years. Was a trustworthy little suv, but started wanting a bit more (and was able to afford a bit more).

Strangely enough, moved "down" to a Renegade Trailhawk, and I've gotta say, that little thing was a beast in the snow. I would put that sucker in the simulated low gear they have on those trailhawks and it would plow through deep snow, even up steep hills. I would see trucks and other suvs sliding everywhere, and that thing would just keep on steady.

Had some other issues with the Renegade, though. One time was really scary. Pulling out of a shopping center on a busy highway, the entire thing just shut off on me. Not low on gas or anything like that. Right underneath the stoplight in the middle of a highway intersection and it just shut off. Thankfully it started right back up and nobody was hurt, but I won't stay with a car that does something like that to me.

And now I'm here. This is kind of Jeep's last shot in my mind, and my dad keeps telling me I should've started with a wrangler all along. I have an early '18, and so far so good. I've taken it off road a few times and everything, so if I make the 3-year mark next March with no issues, I'll probably stick with it for a long time.

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
I had an absolute base Cherokee Sport when they did the redesign back in 2014. Kept it for three years. Was a trustworthy little suv, but started wanting a bit more (and was able to afford a bit more).

Strangely enough, moved "down" to a Renegade Trailhawk, and I've gotta say, that little thing was a beast in the snow. I would put that sucker in the simulated low gear they have on those trailhawks and it would plow through deep snow, even up steep hills. I would see trucks and other suvs sliding everywhere, and that thing would just keep on steady.

Had some other issues with the Renegade, though. One time was really scary. Pulling out of a shopping center on a busy highway, the entire thing just shut off on me. Not low on gas or anything like that. Right underneath the stoplight in the middle of a highway intersection and it just shut off. Thankfully it started right back up and nobody was hurt, but I won't stay with a car that does something like that to me.

And now I'm here. This is kind of Jeep's last shot in my mind, and my dad keeps telling me I should've started with a wrangler all along. I have an early '18, and so far so good. I've taken it off road a few times and everything, so if I make the 3-year mark next March with no issues, I'll probably stick with it for a long time.
Hey rallydefault, having an early 2018 I suggest you make yourself a fused jumper and read up on the aux battery issue if you haven't so far.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/
I keep my autos for years if not decades, and before I bought my first Jeep ever, a 2019 JL, I made sure I was ready for any simple reliability shortcomings.

OP
OP
Reefed

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Sarge Green/Tan, '16 Mazda Miata BBS
Occupation
E-Commerce
Miatas and Wranglers are right up there in my all time favorite top 10 vehicles. Both are bucket list experiences.

There is something special about knowing you can go where 75% of other vehicles can't. Being able to go on a trail enjoying nature. The first time on a trail with the roof and doors off is a truly memorable life experience. It's like that first drive with the top down in a Miata on a winding canyon road. It's addictive.

I predict you will enjoy your new Wrangler immensely.
Agreed. These are cars that change your life! I really can't wait to make all these awesome memories in it. The capability of this car just gives you so much freedom, feels like there's an unlimited number of things I can do with it and places to go.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Reefed

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
E-Commerce
There's one in San Jose: https://www.stevenscreekchryslerjee...San-Jose-24d8993d0a0e0a6b2d842c1fb847df75.htm

I *LOVE* the Punk'n color! It's great.

Just be sure to give a Jeep a good test drive first. My '19 was horrible in that it pulled, wandered, and had around 3" of play in the steering wheel. My Recon has none of those issues.

My husband has a 981 Boxster and I love it–such an awesome car that we like to take on drives to the coast.
Thanks for the tip! It's been a dilemma for me because I fell in love with the idea of the Sky One-Touch top too; the ease of opening and closing it promised more top down time for me. I live in an apartment and don't have anywhere convenient to put the top(s). Only Punk'n Recon with that option I've found is down in Naples. I also don't love the black grille but that could easily be remedied! I would also be getting the car early just for Punk'n. But it is SUCH an awesome color, really is the top choice for me...

Love the 981 Boxster! Considered one before my Miata, such a sweet sounding engine.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
My last car was another Jeep. In fact my last two vehicles were Jeeps because, before that, I made a mistake and bought a Nissan Xterra. The Xterra was actually fine for what it was; it was rugged, roomy and drove well, but I had a Wrangler before the Xterra and as soon as I bought it I felt some serious buyer's remorse. I am just a Jeep guy at heart.

OP
OP
Reefed

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
E-Commerce
Congrats on the Wrangler! The Miata is indeed fun, and, as you mentioned, the Wrangler is a different kind of fun.

Over the past 25 years, I've owned two types of cars: soft top Wranglers and convertible Porsches. (Keep in mind that I often hold on to cars for 10 years and my current 911 is an '07 and well overdue for an upgrade, so its not like I drop tons of $ on cars). I only gave up the Wrangler and kept a 911 Cabriolet for the past decade after moving to Chicago and only having one parking spot.

Fortunately, my wife's Z4 was dying and she always wanted a Wrangler, so I surprised her with a JLUR when Sarge Green came out. So good to have both back in the family again. I personally have always said exactly what you mentioned that a Wrangler is just as fun as a high performance sports car, it is only a different kind of fun.

IMG_4766.JPG
Thank you! Stunning 997. The 911 is my favorite car of all time. Waiting for the right moment to get into one. Right now seems like the right moment in my life for a Wrangler and for some adventure! I absolutely love Sarge Green and originally Green/Tan was going to be my spec, but started falling for the brighter colors with all of the exposed paintwork. I do need to see more Sarge Green pics, still so few out there right now. Might end up with it though as green is my favorite color, my ultimate color on this car would be a lighter Sage Green...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefed

Reefed

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
E-Commerce
I have loved jeeps my whole life...this one is my 6th...In the past I have traded from sports car to jeep then back to sports car then to jeep etc....hoping this is the last. I really love this one and it fits all that I need and want.
my last trade 2 door for my newest 2 door!

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_2942.jpeg

IMG_2950.jpeg
That Silver/Red is my favorite combo on the boxsters! Beautiful spec on both cars!

Yngwie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sarge Green JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! Stunning 997. The 911 is my favorite car of all time. Waiting for the right moment to get into one. Right now seems like the right moment in my life for a Wrangler and for some adventure! I absolutely love Sarge Green and originally Green/Tan was going to be my spec, but started falling for the brighter colors with all of the exposed paintwork. I do need to see more Sarge Green pics, still so few out there right now. Might end up with it though as green is my favorite color, my ultimate color on this car would be a lighter Sage Green...
Glad you like it and good eye recognizing the 997 version. Between the 911 and the Wrangler, I think either one is a great choice, and you will be just as happy with your Wrangler, if not more, based on your desire for adventure at this moment in your life.

I'm sure you've seen the Sarge Green picture thread, but if you haven't there are lots of great pics of Sarge Green JL's in different lighting for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sarge-green-wrangler-jl-club.46200/
Sponsored