New Jeep Owner

Andyyy

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Hello all! I recently purchased a 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited(2.0t). This is my first jeep and I just wanted some input on the parts list that I would need to run 35" tires with no issues on or off the trail. I am not sure If I need anything else besides just the lift and wheels/tires.

Was also wondering what all I would need to upgrade to run 37s, or if that would even be a good idea in general on this model.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Sorry I am pretty clueless about your questions, but just wanted to say congrats on the purchase! Welcome to the most fun vehicle you can own and one of the very few that still has any kind of personality .. at least in my opinion.

OP
OP
Andyyy

Andyyy

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Sorry I am pretty clueless about your questions, but just wanted to say congrats on the purchase! Welcome to the most fun vehicle you can own and one of the very few that still has any kind of personality .. at least in my opinion.
Thanks! Seems like a very cool aftermarket for these.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I am fairly new as well but from what I have seen a lot of the answer to your question may be dependent on how aggressive you plan to be on the trails. At least from many threads that I have seen about Mods.

I would recommend using the search function with something like mods recommended for moderate trail use. At least that will be a start. Get ready for your head to spin. There are about a many opinions on this topic as there are different looking Wranglers in the road.

But never the less..... I have found that many will jump in the discussion and provide their thoughts.

Btw.... congrats. I myself am waiting on delivery of my first Jeep. Target ETA 9/13.....

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Hello all! I recently purchased a 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited(2.0t). This is my first jeep and I just wanted some input on the parts list that I would need to run 35" tires with no issues on or off the trail. I am not sure If I need anything else besides just the lift and wheels/tires.

Was also wondering what all I would need to upgrade to run 37s, or if that would even be a good idea in general on this model.

Thanks in advance!
For 35ā€™s you will need a quality lift of likely 2ā€ or more.

If you are going to run 315/70/17s, some tire shops will mount those on your existing 7.5ā€ rims. If you go this route, work with your tire shop to make sure that you can do this on a sport or if you will need wheel spacers. Searching the boards here for folks with sports and 315s will also help.

If you want new rims, make sure that you take into account the rimā€™s backspacing/offset as those numbers will push or pull the tire out or in relative to its current position on your Jeep now.

To run 37ā€™s on a sport, many would suggest that you will also need to re-gear. Some would even suggest that you should consider re-gearing for the 35s. For 37ā€™s you will likely need to modify your rear bumper and spare tire carrier for clearance and weight.

Personally, I wouldnā€™t put 37s on a sport, but thatā€™s just me. I am quite sure that you can find several sport owners on this board with 37s who can tell you exactly what they did, why they did it, and how itā€™s working for them.

Good luck!

Sponsored

Wrangler-NS

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
35's will require a lift of 2" (or more) and wheels with the backspace / offset so there is no rubbing when you turn. You also need to think about adjusting your speedo for accuracy. On 35's you are going to lose 8th gear if you are running an automatic. Off road, you will need to be careful with the skinny pedal rolling on 35's.

I would not recommend 37's on a Sport. If you do, it would require a much bigger lift and I would swap axles with proper gearing. The Dana M186/200's are not going to last long with 37's rolling on them if you go off road.

Last edited:

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Welcome. Nice ride in your avatar.

OP
OP
Andyyy

Andyyy

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Awesome info, I will most likely end up going with 35s. It will not see trails all that often and when it does nothing too serious. If I understand correctly, if you use a Mopar lift you will retain the warranty?

IMG_20190824_141156.jpg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome info, I will most likely end up going with 35s. It will not see trails all that often and when it does nothing too serious. If I understand correctly, if you use a Mopar lift you will retain the warranty?

IMG_20190824_141156.jpg
Looking good!

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase

img_20190824_141156-jpg.jpg
Nice! We took almost identical picture when we bought ours :like:

I've heard conflicting reports on whether the Mopar lift affects the warranty. If installed by a dealer that would improve your chances. There are other threads on here that go into that topic. But as a general rule of thumb any modification can affect the warranty (especially if the mod could have caused the failure); such as larger tires could affect the drivetrain warranty. Even Mopar parts aren't covered by warranty unless installed by the dealer.

Great color choice! This is our "fresh off the lot" pic :)

56237990002__E53A8E29-CFAD-4378-9D6E-E3B6468A44B4.JPG

OP
OP
Andyyy

Andyyy

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Nice! We took almost identical picture when we bought ours :like:

I've heard conflicting reports on whether the Mopar lift affects the warranty. If installed by a dealer that would improve your chances. There are other threads on here that go into that topic. But as a general rule of thumb any modification can affect the warranty (especially if the mod could have caused the failure); such as larger tires could affect the drivetrain warranty. Even Mopar parts aren't covered by warranty unless installed by the dealer.

Great color choice! This is our "fresh off the lot" pic :)

56237990002__E53A8E29-CFAD-4378-9D6E-E3B6468A44B4.JPG
That rubi looks awesome!

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_20190824_141156.jpg
I'm obviously no expert, but I think the overwhelming consensus is that aftermarket parts are ok and will not void warranty unless they directly lead to the failure of other parts. So for example, if your lift was the direct result for a failure of something different, that may not be covered, but if your UConnect randomly failed, it would have no relation and should be covered. I think that makes sense and there is some legislation that protects us, but I would at least get your dealer's opinion on it.

As far as the other questions, for 35's, you'll want a 2" or greater lift. That can be a budget boost like the RC one, or it can be a full suspension one, but you just need the higher clearance. The Rubi comes with higher fenders, so it doesn't have the same requirements. I think you can technically fit 35's without the lift, but they will really be stuffed in there and will likely rub. I would also try to get those Euro fenders out of there regardless because that's where a lot of people feel the rub.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE

Thanks in advance!
Mopar or other brand 2" lift - this will allow you to run 35s without replacing the fenders
For 37s you'll need to recalibrate your transmission to work with increased tire size. This means either having a dealer do it or buying a programmer. Gearing may be something to look at too since on your Sport the ratio is 3:45. Some complain that 4.10s in the Rubicon need swapping but that could be they've not recalibrated the transmission.