New Jeep Owner Questions - Moab versus Sahara

pamhut

First Name
Pam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
Hi everyone - I'm in the process of purchasing my first Jeep Wrangler and would like some advice from the experts here. I have absolutely no experience with the Wrangler's and will be using the car for everyday use and not taking it off road. I've been trying to narrow down my must-have options and ran across the Moab special edition. I see that it has nearly everything that I want, but I'm a little concerned about the wheels/tires. If I want the smoothest ride possible with a Wrangler...am I correct in assuming I will not get that with the wheels/tires that come standard with the Moab? And if that's true, what are the best tires to have for a smooth pavement ride? And if it's not too much to ask, I'd love to hear input on the following as well:
1. 4 cylinder turbo versus 6: Is there a noticeable difference?
2. Selectrac 4wd: Pros and Cons of this versus standard option
3. Active Noise Control System: Does this really help?
Rock Slider with Step Assist versus regular running boards: I think I really want/need these in my life...would love to hear from those with experience.

Thank you all in advance for your insight!
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
1. Yes, probably, you should test drive both.
2. Get the Sahara, with selec-trac “full time” 4WD transfer case for the smoothest ride.
3. Probably not, you can’t tell.
4?. No, you don’t need those, or any other step, for an unmodified DD wrangler. However, the terrible plastic running boards come stock on the Sahara, so you may WANT the sliders with electric step. They’re pricy though.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
The sliders on the Moab are useful for smaller kids and maybe really small adults. My 11 y/o daughter uses them to get in, my 14 y/o does not. They are definitely not flimsy and they look nice.

I'd recommend the selec-trac for anyone who lives where it snows/gets icy. It's very nice in the winter time, just leave it in 4H auto and you're all set.

I wouldn't say the tires aren't a smooth ride, they're just kinda noisy. KO2's (like what the Rubicons come with) are better on pavement and are easy to get (lots of Rubicon owners sell theirs).

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
The MOAB comes with mud terrains and are NOT the most comfortable tire out there. That being said lots of folks don't find them too obtrusive and keep them even though they planned on switching out. Other than that the decision between the Sahara and MOAB come mainly down to aesthetics (since you won't be taking it off-road). Which to you like better? The MOAB looks more rugged, while the Sahara will be a bit more luxurious and street friendly.

I REALLY like the Selec-Trac full time 4WD in the Sahara... best for snowy/slippery roads as opposed to standard part-time 4WD.

As far as engines go, unless you are in the mountains a lot it's really your call, both are good. The turbo 2.0 does do a bit better at altitude though.

I'f you're not going offroad, the side steps of the Sahara would do great.

So it really comes down to what you want your jeep to be. If you want the rugged look the MOAB might be the better choice. If you like luxury a bit more and the option of the full time 4WD than go Sahara. Hard to go wrong either way.

If you DO decide to go on trails and such, either vehicle will do more than what most owners want to do.

Good luck on your decision!!!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone - I'm in the process of purchasing my first Jeep Wrangler and would like some advice from the experts here. I have absolutely no experience with the Wrangler's and will be using the car for everyday use and not taking it off road. I've been trying to narrow down my must-have options and ran across the Moab special edition. I see that it has nearly everything that I want, but I'm a little concerned about the wheels/tires. If I want the smoothest ride possible with a Wrangler...am I correct in assuming I will not get that with the wheels/tires that come standard with the Moab? And if that's true, what are the best tires to have for a smooth pavement ride? And if it's not too much to ask, I'd love to hear input on the following as well:
1. 4 cylinder turbo versus 6: Is there a noticeable difference?
2. Selectrac 4wd: Pros and Cons of this versus standard option
3. Active Noise Control System: Does this really help?
Rock Slider with Step Assist versus regular running boards: I think I really want/need these in my life...would love to hear from those with experience.

Thank you all in advance for your insight!
1. The 4 cylinder will get you somewhat better mileage and a much better execution of the Start/Stop than the V6. V6 is less expensive and isn't bad on gas itself if driven properly. As far as performance goes, they've both got a similar output and you'd really have to stomp on the gas to tell the difference by the seat of your pants.
2. Selectrac would be great for snowy conditions I believe, but the Standard Commandtrac goes in and out of 4Hi easily enough once youve done it a few times to get the stiffness out. If you want to put the extra money into a selectrac it would work well enough, just make sure you put it in 4Hi instead of auto when you're on a trail.

Edit: A few weeks ago I took a MOAB on a test drive and you DEFINITELY know you're on Mud Terrain tires. That being said they're not too rough but its really noticeable after driving my Sahara on the factory Goodyear All Terrains.

Sponsored

McG

First Name
McKenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB, 2018 Toyota Tundra XP CrewMax
I purchased a Moab a couple of months ago and I love it. Here's my two cents:

- It is my daily driver and the mud tires honestly don't bother me in terms of smoothness, and this is coming from someone who drove a Porsche prior to the Moab. I'm sure the Sahara's tires are smoother. The Moab tires are loud, but I got used to it pretty quickly and don't really notice it anymore. I'll keep these tires until it's time to replace them, and then most likely get some Continental all-terrains.
- I love having the Selec-Trac. It doesn't snow much here in the winter, but we do get a lot of ice (and mud).
- I think the rock sliders look better, but if you are short, you might prefer the steps. I'm tall enough to where I don't need them. If you have small feet, there might be enough space on the sliders to give you a quick boost up.
- I do some light off-roading, but I think all of the Jeeps are capable of that. I know you said you wouldn't be doing any of that, but you never know ;)
- Overall I prefer the look of the Moab vs. the Sahara, but you can make a Jeep look like anything you want with a few modifications!

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
If you have no intention of going off-road, then the MOAB is the Jeep for you. :CWL:

Last edited:

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
I really don’t understand the decision on tires for the Moab. It would have made more sense to me to put the KM2s (or KM3) on the Rubicon and the KM2 on the Moab. Then again, Jeeps defy logic so I should just shut up...

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
If you're not going off road, and this will be your DD then the Sahara makes more since to me. Heck, depending on your must have options a Sport would fit the bill. My Sahara with the A/T tires is smooth, and quiet (as far as a Jeep can be quiet). We can tell you what we like and why, But, the main thing is get what you want. You don't want to be driving down the road saying "I wish". Good luck on your decision, I know it's a hard one to make. I went back, and forth for quite awhile before I settled on the Sahara.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
If you have Moab money to spend, another option would be to get the Sahara with some nice options, including Select-trac, and add the Sky power top. It's amazing how much that gets used on ours.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Well, the sky one touch is only $1900 with the MOAB :like:

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
1 - I have the 6 cylinder on my Moab. My dad has the 4 cylinder on his Sahara. The sound of the engine is about the only thing I've noticed when driving either of them.

2 - I don't think you can go wrong by getting the Selecttrac option.

3 - I haven't noticed a difference between the two. The main reason being is the KM2's are fairly noisy. The noise doesn't bother me but it would some. I'd make sure to test drive the Moab first at 50+ MPH to see if it would bug you. I believe some on here have had the dealer to agree to change out to to the KO2's to seal the deal. Depending on your dealer, that may be an option.

4 - I'm 5'6" and don't use the running boards to get in... but I like the ones that came with the Moab vs. Sahara. Either work fine but I have my preference.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
1. Yes, probably, you should test drive both.
2. Get the Sahara, with selec-trac “full time” 4WD transfer case for the smoothest ride.
3. Probably not, you can’t tell.
4?. No, you don’t need those, or any other step, for an unmodified DD wrangler. However, the terrible plastic running boards come stock on the Sahara, so you may WANT the sliders with electric step. They’re pricy though.
What’s wrong with the stock Sahara steps? I love mine :) they’re the widest and thus the most functional for my wife and kids.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What’s wrong with the stock Sahara steps? I love mine :) they’re the widest and thus the most functional for my wife and kids.
They’re made of that damn plastic that fades really bad after a few years, and is easily damaged. On the JK they had that weird lump in the middle that looked pretty bad, at least the JL has a better aesthetic.

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I got a heavily optioned Sahara before the Moab came out. Most of the items on the Moab can be optioned on the Sahara. The Moab comes with the Rubicon suspension and the mud tires. Both seem counter to your stated desire of the smoothest ride.
Sponsored