Sponsored

New Jeep owner how soon can you use synthetic oils.

bamchenry

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, '18 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
As the son of a retired Castrol R&D chemist of nearly 40 years, I find this whole thread hilarious.
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
As the son of a retired Castrol R&D chemist of nearly 40 years, I find this whole thread hilarious.
Please enlighten us from an experienced position. I'm serious!

Thanks

bamchenry

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, '18 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Please enlighten us from an experienced position. I'm serious!

Thanks
No special wisdom from me (by osmosis; thanks Dad) that hasn't already been said.

I grew up with my dad and his brother the mechanic arguing over these topics. My uncle always citing his direct experience and dismissing my dad as an egghead scientist. My uncle was big on the "damage" you could do by switching to synthetic on a car that had too many miles with conventional oil. Meanwhile, my dad is named on patents for Castrol Syntec, what does he know? That's probably why I chuckle because these heated debates are reminiscent of my teenage years sitting around the table after a day of wrenching on my first car 30 years ago.

There isn't anything meaningful that can be added to the motor oil for "break-in". The notion of break-in has been more or less dead for 40+ years because manufacturing, materials, and engineering tolerances are far, far better than they were years ago.

Change the oil at mile 0 to any good quality motor oil, and you won't notice anything different about your engine's longevity.

You can go synthetic to conventional and back as many times in whichever direction you like. There is no chemical interaction between the two types of oil.

Always change your filters. Clean oil is more important than any other attribute of the oil (aside from proper viscosity and weight, of course).

You can run your motor oil to 20K or 30K miles with a modern synthetic because it doesn't break down like old conventional did, but you are probably still well-advised to change at 15K or sooner (or whatever the manufacturer recommends) because the oil still gets dirty (see re: filters and clean oil above).

I ran a motor in my first car (a 1982 Ford Mustang) that was used for engine block tests by Castrol engineers. You know the tests from commercials where they ran them with oil drained? I put 100K miles on it.

Take care of your car. If you have habits that err on the side of extra frequent, all the better. But most people - running on highways and paved roads on not extra dirty and dusty off-road conditions - are fine changing oil when the owner's manual suggests.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
My salesman said they put “the cheap shit in at the factory,” when I asked if it came with synthetic. Lol.
Now theres a version I can believe. I put the Synthetic in first oil change ~3K miles. I am almost there...

Sponsored

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
No special wisdom from me (by osmosis; thanks Dad) that hasn't already been said.

I grew up with my dad and his brother the mechanic arguing over these topics. My uncle always citing his direct experience and dismissing my dad as an egghead scientist. My uncle was big on the "damage" you could do by switching to synthetic on a car that had too many miles with conventional oil. Meanwhile, my dad is named on patents for Castrol Syntec, what does he know? That's probably why I chuckle because these heated debates are reminiscent of my teenage years sitting around the table after a day of wrenching on my first car 30 years ago.

There isn't anything meaningful that can be added to the motor oil for "break-in". The notion of break-in has been more or less dead for 40+ years because manufacturing, materials, and engineering tolerances are far, far better than they were years ago.

Change the oil at mile 0 to any good quality motor oil, and you won't notice anything different about your engine's longevity.

You can go synthetic to conventional and back as many times in whichever direction you like. There is no chemical interaction between the two types of oil.

Always change your filters. Clean oil is more important than any other attribute of the oil (aside from proper viscosity and weight, of course).

You can run your motor oil to 20K or 30K miles with a modern synthetic because it doesn't break down like old conventional did, but you are probably still well-advised to change at 15K or sooner (or whatever the manufacturer recommends) because the oil still gets dirty (see re: filters and clean oil above).

I ran a motor in my first car (a 1982 Ford Mustang) that was used for engine block tests by Castrol engineers. You know the tests from commercials where they ran them with oil drained? I put 100K miles on it.

Take care of your car. If you have habits that err on the side of extra frequent, all the better. But most people - running on highways and paved roads on not extra dirty and dusty off-road conditions - are fine changing oil when the owner's manual suggests.
Thanks you for this info. It is very informative.

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
ON a related topic. Has anyone used "Z-Max oil treatment in their 3.6?

Is it worth the cost or just marketing hype?

BTW: I'm not a mechanic or a chemical engineer so this is a legit question.
But I am a retired Brewmaster, so there's a field I can intelligently discourse with the best.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I have a friend that used Z-max and had great things to say. That's the limit of my experience with it.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I have a friend that used Z-max and had great things to say. That's the limit of my experience with it.
ON a related topic. Has anyone used "Z-Max oil treatment in their 3.6?

Is it worth the cost or just marketing hype?

BTW: I'm not a mechanic or a chemical engineer so this is a legit question.
But I am a retired Brewmaster, so there's a field I can intelligently discourse with the best.
Zmax is 99% mineral oil according to its SDS (safety data sheet). Its flash point is 270*F - it won't do anything for you.

Don't add any of this crap to your oil. It's all bullshit.

Use the type and grade of engine oil that your owner's manual specifies, change it on schedule with a filter, and don't worry about it any more than that.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Am personally a big Mobil 1 fan. I overheated a Trans Am with it and never did any damage.
I run it in all my vehicles.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Nah, see, if you haven't replaced your Jeep's oil before the 1000 mile mark with amsoil premium, it's hopeless and you might as well trade it in for a new one. :P

On a more serious note, as long as you change your oil SOMETIME I think you'll be ok. Whether that's 3k, 5k, or 10k? Up to you. But change it at some point lol. At least once a year. Unless you want your jeep to get posted in /r/justrolledintotheshop

One of my friends forgot to change the oil in his honda civic for 20k miles. I'm.. not sure what the heck he was thinking.
Probably thinking "Why the hell does that light keep coming on when I start my car" Ha Ha How did it run?

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I worked for Jeep for years and know what I’m saying is true.
Surprise, a negative response on a forum.
What knowledge do you offer to back up your interjection?... or are you a Troll?
I changed mine after 2K . I always do in new cars. Regular brand name silicon oil run engines of racing cars and that's all I need to know.
Sponsored