Sponsored

New Jeep owner how soon can you use synthetic oils.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
The problem of people simply asking for basic information that could be found in the owners manual (or the shorter users guide) is that they show they just want instant gratification.

Encouraging people to teach themselves is a good thing, that millions of parents have clearly failed at.
I work for a large defense contractor and am an SME for some of our mechanical engineering tools. I am called by less experience users of the tool with off the wall questions or questions I haven't had to answer in years. I always screen share and then let them know I am going to Google or Duck Duck Go to search for the answer to their question, unless I know it off the top of my head.

I am always amazed when the same person calls me two days later and I ask them if they did any research themselves, they say "No". If I am in a meeting I will ask over instant message if they have looked themselves. If they say no again I let them know I won't be able to help them until the meeting I am on is over. Miraculously they found the answer or got real close using .... the internet.

I have no issue helping people and letting them know where I found the information so that they have a point of reference in the future. An old boss said "we are done spending 80% of our time on 20% of the people! They can either get on the bus or watch it leave. We are spending 80% of our time on the 80%"!
Sponsored

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
My salesman said they put “the cheap shit in at the factory,” when I asked if it came with synthetic. Lol.
Salesmen rarely know anything and make up things to seem like they’re knowledgeable. They’re glorified order takers.

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
@Rubidozer

Yeah, I am a troll .... 8-) and know you are wrong about break in engine oil being put in at engine assembly time. Pure BS. I'm sure some here will believe you. :LOL:
Troll with no knowledge. But stellar use of the rofl emoji. Congratulations on learning a skill. Now get under your Jeep and do something productive. Stop hating on others for constructive comments on a discussion that aids in furthering knowledge. Too many words?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
For a modern refined engine, as a former competitive engine builder, and with the sensitive emissions equipment I don’t see the need for them to add a special oil at whatever stage of the assembly line before startup. Especially if an assembly lube was used in engine assembly. One could compare the first oil analysis to a second I suppose.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
My 3.6L came with synthetic and I dumped it 800 miles and again at 2,000, and again at 5,000, then settled into 5,000 mile OCI.

I have UOA'ed every OC and while the factory fill had more moly than other oils I have used, I attribute that to assembly lube. Special break-in oils have not been needed since the transition from API SM to API SN oil and the move from flat tappet camshafts to roller and OHC systems.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Machine process and metal composition have changed drastically over time as well. I always laugh when people with modern motors think they have a “factory freak” with more HP because of a strict break in period.
Agreed. If I was to make a guess I’d put the variance in the ballpark of 1-2% disregarding outlying mechanical factors and the same conditions.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
The problem of people simply asking for basic information that could be found in the owners manual (or the shorter users guide) is that they show they just want instant gratification.

Encouraging people to teach themselves is a good thing, that millions of parents have clearly failed at.

Or they are using it as a way to break the ice on their new forum registration. :)

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I always leave room for a cup of Olive oil , which I add with every 5000 mile oil change. I use extra virgin oil. I have driven several vehicles over 700k miles ,throwing olive oil in with a splash of windshield wash. Maybe you clowns can learn something here !!
Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep owner how soon can you use synthetic oils. IMG_0939.JPG

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I always leave room for a cup of Olive oil , which I add with every oil change every 5000 miles. I use extra virgin oil. I have driven several vehicles over 700k miles ,throwing olive oil in with a splash of windshield wash. Maybe you clowns can learn something here !!
Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep owner how soon can you use synthetic oils. IMG_0939.JPG
That’s horrible. Why does this exist