Sponsored

New Jeep owner how soon can you use synthetic oils.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Splitting hairs and completely unnecessary And doesn’t help anyone. Original question was, when should he change his first oil, and all you addressed was your opportunity to respond negatively, and ignored the question
That wasn't the original question at all.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Spinrite

Spinrite

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's
Here's some good info on oils. His testing is pretty good....

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
That wasn't the original question at all.
Really? “Jeep Wrangler JL 2L turbo engine. Can it be done on my next oil change, is this enough. How long should I wait?”

how long should I wait, was the original question.

Ok, let’s go with the title. When can he use synthetic oil. same question. next regular oil change. not “fake news”

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Here's some good info on oils. His testing is pretty good....

25,000 miles on the Amsoil? That’s absurd. That’s the kind of thing that gets people to lock a motor up because they fail to pull the dipstick in between oil changes. I don’t know of a single oil filter that can reliably last that long either.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Really? “Jeep Wrangler JL 2L turbo engine. Can it be done on my next oil change, is this enough. How long should I wait?”

how long should I wait, was the original question.

Ok, let’s go with the title. When can he use synthetic oil. same question. next regular oil change. not “fake news”
Surely you can feel how wrong it is for you to make that claim, the OP was obviously asking about swapping over to synthetic oil, which is unnecessary as the JL factory fill is full synthetic.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This is why I love this place and it's the ultimate Jeep forum. Nobody here truly goes apeshit about Trump this or Democrat that, but when it to comes Broncos, 392s, and now to synthetic oil, shit gets fucking real.
You forgot to mention 20" wheels :)

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Surely you can feel how wrong it is for you to make that claim, the OP was obviously asking about swapping over to synthetic oil, which is unnecessary as the JL factory fill is full synthetic.
My claim, is that only the first person answered the question. The rest of this banger, about splitting hairs about extra additive to the oil, or extra lining of the engine parts, and this “fake news”, is about nothing to the OP’s question. how am I wrong exactly?

i quoted the original question exactly, I can’t be wrong. Yes, the answer is that it comes with, synthetic from the start, but all this other banter and “fake news” is not answering The original question. I said Rhinebeck offered nothing to the original question, plain and simple.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Nah, see, if you haven't replaced your Jeep's oil before the 1000 mile mark with amsoil premium, it's hopeless and you might as well trade it in for a new one. :P

On a more serious note, as long as you change your oil SOMETIME I think you'll be ok. Whether that's 3k, 5k, or 10k? Up to you. But change it at some point lol. At least once a year. Unless you want your jeep to get posted in /r/justrolledintotheshop

One of my friends forgot to change the oil in his honda civic for 20k miles. I'm.. not sure what the heck he was thinking.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 3.6. Changed oil at 1500 and now at 5100 today. I didn't change the filter with this oil change and will do that after another 5k. Using the fram XG.

I did change the rear diff fluid today at 5100 with Valvoline 75w140. The diff fluid was already super black and lots of metal on the bottom magnetic drain plug. I'm glad I did that early as others have done. Just over 1qt needed for rear diff on my jlu sport S.

I don't think waiting 5k to change original oil or changing earlier is going to affect the life of the motor that much. But I'm not an expert, just my opinion.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spinrite

Spinrite

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's
Oil discussions always bring out interesting debates. I started a war on this thread.

breakerbaker

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.0 JLU Sport S, 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650, 2003 100th Anniversary Harley-Davidson Softtail
Occupation
Navy Doc
Just to get back on topic, for me (once my new Jeep is here) I will change the oil out at 500 miles with full synthetic then oil changes every 5,000 miles. That's just me, everyone is different.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is true. During the mid 2000's Jeeps with the 4.0 were experiencing abnormal cam and lifter wear due to the newer oils not containing enough zinc. Most oils by then had been reformulated for modern roller cams, yet Jeep was still using the tractor engine known as the 4.0. Too much zinc is also bad for catalytic converters, another reason it has been reduced in modern engine oils. The popular oil to use at the time was a synthetic with an ACEA A3 rating (followed by ACEA A1 or A5) as these oils did contain more zinc to help flat tappet cams and lifters live a longer life.