Sponsored

New Jeep owner ... how capable is my jl sport unlimited ?

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Moab has extreme traction, probably too much for much of it while in 4wd. I think a non-ruby would be fine for most of it but to be sure there are some tuff stuff out there where it wouldnt be. Probably tuff on a non-modded ruby too.

If one is doing moderate wheeling a non-ruby would be fine. You'll save a ton of cash over a doofus like me who wouldnt own anything but a ruby with mods galore. lol
Sponsored

drewloving

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Thanks guys i took my doors off this weekend took 45 mins to take off 27 to put on lol i love this thing
That will get faster with experience - my only lesson was to remove it fully open so the catch is extended from the door (apparently it's a big problem if you remove the door and it is recessed into the door cavity) and put them back on in good lighting. The first time I tried was in my garage which was pretty dark - very difficult to see the hangars and hit the hinges!

I'm probably at 15 minutes to remove and replace.

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Technology & part-time Google mechanic
Clubs

I took mine out last weekend to an off road park here in Texas. I did put a 2" lift and all terrain 35's on it, but it took everything I threw at it. A 4' mud "puddle" call the double dipper, short steep hills, and some steep major hills with rocks and ledges. I was impressed with its handling ability and, for most of us, we don't really need a Rubicon although their great rigs.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Very capable. Especially if you got a Limited Slip Upgrade.

Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
My advice is to find a local Jeep or off-road group. Most organize regular trail rides, and have various levels of rides. One will be “stock” or “unmodified”, which is perfect for you. The advantage of joining them is that you’ll likely be surrounded by experienced off-roaders who can teach you things like airing down, how to view approach angles, and are there to pull you out if you get in trouble. And pretty much all Jeep owners are not at all pretensious and eager to welcome a new owner to our ranks and help educate you. We remember that we were all new at some point and someone took the time to teach us, so we are happy to pay it forward.

I promise your Sport is way more capable than you think. But if you’re new to off-roading, the limiting factor will be your inexperience. A local group can definitely help you bridge this gap and get the most out of your new toy!

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Most of us leave the T50 door post nuts off, roll windows down, disconnect, remove, 10min job
I leave my bolts out too. Much faster, I usually only take front doors off. Put the soft top up with with windows and front doors in 10 min. It does get faster.

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
TFL car took a Sahara (which doesn't have all the Rubi extras either) to Moab. That was enough to convince me I didn't need a Rubicon for what I was interested in. There are several other videos showing stock JK Sports doing very well. I did get some Rubi takeoffs as I do photography and really like doing photos in and around storms, so mud was my concern.

Lol. That is way more than I would do with my current Sahara.

Sponsored

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
I don't have an unlimited, but it's a Sport with 33" ATs, and a LSD. Here are some images from the last 2 months. And for the usual statement: These trails are tougher than the images look.

This one was taken while I was climbing an off camber rock ledge. The hill ahead is loose dirt and gravel. It is also tougher than it appears.

20181004_161342-X2.jpg

The next one shows the trail going up over a ledge, splitting 2 large rocks, make a hard right turn to split 2 more large rocks and drop down a ledge onto the trail again.

20181004_164108-X2.jpg

Is it as good as a Rubicon......nope, but they are very capable when you learn to drive them

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
I don’t plan on going rock climbing or anything crazy but how capable is my stock Jeep .. i like Going to the woods and shooting and sometimes there some ugly dirt / rock logging roads
I've been wheeling since 1978. Started with an FJ40 which had more capability than I had skills or brains. Over the next 20 years I built my skills and forgot my youthful testosterone. My first Jeep was a 2003 2 door Sahara. Using my learned skills, I found it very capable out of the box only limited by the street tires and ground clearance. Our JLUR is absolutely amazing off road in dirt, mud and rocks. It makes moderate wheeling just plain stupid easy.

For any first timer who will just be playing in the woods and dirt, any JL will have more capability than a beginner has skills. Your biggest limitation will be the tires unless you buy a JLUR or dump the street tires. Just be patient and build you skill set. Wheel with experienced Jeepers, learn to use a spotter and don't let your testosterone get ahead of your skills or brain.
Sponsored