Sponsored

New Jeep owner ... how capable is my jl sport unlimited ?

First Name
antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl wrangler unlimited sport
I don’t plan on going rock climbing or anything crazy but how capable is my stock Jeep .. i like Going to the woods and shooting and sometimes there some ugly dirt / rock logging roads
Sponsored

albatross

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 1993 YJ
The sport is more capable than you may realize, or ever need. I made a similar comment in a different thread. I think folks are so accustomed to hearing about the Rubicon that they sometimes forget how capable sports are/can be. You may need to install more aggressive tires or a small lift but for the most part, the sport will do everything you ask and more.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
With the right tires, you can go just about anywhere. Absolutely ditch the highway tires if that's what came on it.

Sponsored

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
The OP stated that no rock crawling will be done. Just about any m/s tire will be fine for most conditions. Learn the features that the vehicle is equipped with and you wiill be pleasantly surprised. The crappy general tires that came with an Xterra I once owned were surprisingly capable. Don't drink the Kool aid.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
You do not need the Rubicon for what you are doing. The Sport is a great Wrangler.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
As stated by others- it’s all you need, other than maybe more aggressive tires. It’s not like base models from other makers where you have to upgrade to get any function. Out of the box, you start at a spot where you’ll be fully functional for most things your end up using it for.

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I can't find the video I wanted to show, which was some Utah rock climbing in a stock JKU, but here is another one. It's a JKU and JKU upgraded on the same hill. This is likely way more than you're ever going to do, and you can tell that driver proficiency has way more to do with anything than the vehicle itself.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys i took my doors off this weekend took 45 mins to take off 27 to put on lol i love this thing

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
My un-modded Sport S with AT tires and LSD had no problems getting over these rocks. However, that Outback didn't do so well. He got 40 feet and had to back out.

29706538628_6853d17e0a_b.jpg

OP
OP
First Name
antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My un-modded Sport S with AT tires and LSD had no problems getting over these rocks. However, that Outback didn't do so well. He got 40 feet and had to back out.

29706538628_6853d17e0a_b.jpg
Wow that don’t even look that bad.

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
TFL car took a Sahara (which doesn't have all the Rubi extras either) to Moab. That was enough to convince me I didn't need a Rubicon for what I was interested in. There are several other videos showing stock JK Sports doing very well. I did get some Rubi takeoffs as I do photography and really like doing photos in and around storms, so mud was my concern.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Wow that don’t even look that bad.
I got it on video too. He drove up one of the larger rocks, his tire slipped and the body slammed hard onto the rock. I need to edit the video and get it up on Youtube..
Sponsored