New Jeep Owner, few questions/observations after 3 days of ownership

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Also do you have any pics? Would love to see stance with 35x12.5’s with no lift and rubicon rims!
Oh awesome. I had toyo RTs on my truck before getting this jeep. I do like the ko2’s. What 35x12.5s did you put on yours?
Here is pic with the 35 inch Nitto Trail Grapplers on aftermarket rims. Stock Rubicon suspension.

_ND54685.jpg
Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
The issues I had in my main post were using an Apple branded cable as well. Probably port issue.

If anyone has any insight into the steering questions I had I’d love to hear it.
When I bought my first '21 JL, I immediately noticed the need to micromanage the steering. I'm used to it now to the point that it feels weird to drive my wife's CX-5. Almost like I am micromanaging for no reason.

OP
OP
SmoothOperation156

SmoothOperation156

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
When I bought my first '21 JL, I immediately noticed the need to micromanage the steering. I'm used to it now to the point that it feels weird to drive my wife's CX-5. Almost like I am micromanaging for no reason.
Yeah, I'm starting to get used to it as well. 4 days in and I'm sure I'll only get more used to it as time goes on. I did air down my tires to 32 cold, 34/35 while driving around, and it has helped a bit with the firmness but might take it back up to recommended psi just for wear and MPG. Possibly upgrading the steering stabilizer when it's time for new (maybe bigger) tires.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
TLDR:
  • Brand new Jeep owner, 2021 JLUR 17k mi (just barely more than half of 3/36 warranty left)
  • Noticeable wandering issues (steering micromanagement)
    • First step was airing down tires which did noticeably help with steering "firmness". Will this cause any issues with wear or MPG since factory sticker is saying 37psi?
    • What are the upgraded LCA's doing specifically to improve steering/wandering issue?
    • Has anyone upgraded the steering stabilizer in a stock setting on a Rubicon? Not wanting to make too many modifications (yet lol).
  • Electronic Question
    • Center console USB port issues
    • Has anyone else experienced this and have had success with getting a dealer to replace it/wiring?
  • Has anyone put 35x12.5 tires on the stock Rubicon rims with no lift? See some threads on it but can't find any definitive answers.

Hi there,

This might be a bit long so I hope I don't bore anyone, and I hope I'm in the right place!

I am a complete Jeep newbie. I purchased a pre-owned 2021 JLUR 3 days ago and love driving it so far. I never knew how fun they were to drive. Coming from a 2015 Silverado WT its a completely different world. However, there were a few observations I made after these first 3 days that kind of caught me "off-guard" for lack of a better term.

The first thing I noticed off the bat was the steering. I see on the forums here that this is a pretty common "issue" (or nature of the vehicle itself). From my 3 days of driving this particular vehicle I've noticed myself constantly micromanaging the steering, "wandering" as some say,.....highway and local road driving. I haven't noticed any bump steering issues as some videos and forum threads have mentioned, but I'm not exactly sure what to look for in that situation when driving...(what the characteristics are, etc.)

I understand the concept of why the steering is so "loose" for off-roading purposes but coming from a basic work truck (which I lifted myself and put tires on etc.) the steering wheel feels so light and potentially dangerous especially getting whipped around at highway speeds. I know getting whipped around on the highway in a Jeep is a characteristic of the aerodynamics of the vehicle itself, nothing can be done about it, but the micromanaging of the steering on top of that creates a different ball game from my limited experience with this Jeep. And I have seen people on here say try driving a CJ and come back to your JL, really just want to get some of my questions answered and not get beraded for my opinion on the steering.

The first (and free) solution I found was airing down the tires. From the dealer I purchased the vehicle from all tires were sitting at around 36psi cold, up to 38 driving around. I dropped them down to 32 cold (up to 34 driving) and did notice an improvement in the "looseness" of the steering. Is this going to cause any issues in terms of MPG or wear since the factory sticker is saying 37psi?

I did see previous threads about the 18-20 JL's having steering box issues which was fixed from dealers upgrading the steering box from aluminum to steel but the 21's came factory with the upgraded steel steering box from what I can see.

I came across this video about adjusting the steering box itself to reduce play in the steering wheel, I haven't noticed too much play so I don't really want to go this route (nor do I think many people recommend it).

The next thing I came across was replacing the LCA's to the Mopar 2" lift kit LCAs. I saw many people complaining about how the Rubicon's didn't come with these from the factory. Now the question I had regarding this was what and how are these improving the steering/wandering issue? Is it improving the suspension geometry for alignment purposes? I have no knowledge of the Jeep suspension and it's all very confusing coming from a simple Silverado suspension. I have dealt with suspension geometry issues and alignment issues with my truck so I am well versed in suspension, just not Jeeps.

Final question with regards to the steering, I have seen people upgrade the factory steering stabilizer. I forget the name of the most recommended but it had the three firmness settings which you could change on the fly. I see most of the people who recommended it are putting them on lifted Jeeps, but has anyone done this to improve stock steering? I'm not really wanting to make too many modifications from stock (yet lol).

The next topic I wanted to touch on was a weird issue I was facing. So the first day I got my Jeep, I plugged my iPhone and USB into the console port expecting everything to work flawlessly. And it did....until I noticed calls and audio dropping, screen freezing, and a lack of responsiveness. I swapped to the front USB port, as recommended by someone in a thread, and voila...everything has been working perfectly for the past 2 days, leading me to believe it's a power delivery issue with the console port(s). Has anyone experienced this too? Did you take it into the dealer for a new port?

Finally, has anyone put 35x12.5 tires on the stock Rubicon rims with no lift? Seen some threads on here regarding it but can't find any definitive answers.

For anyone that reads this whole thing and can help me out with my Jeep knowledge, I will be forever in your debt!

Thank you!
Taking it from the top: Yes airing down your tires will have an effect on your mpg, tire wear etc.

Tires may be the most misunderstood item on a vehicle.

What is IMPORTANT is the CONTACT PATCH. You want an optimized contact patch for the mission. There is street and off-road.

As you lower the psi the first reaction by the tire is to get wider, but this only works to a point and then as psi goes lower the tire gets longer in the contact patch.

Too wide = sidewalls touch the pavement, premature failure

Too narrow and the tire wears toward the center and this results in less braking, and handling ability.

Goldilocks: Street driving you can drive your Jeep thru some thin water on a driveway or any flat surface, or dust from a dirt road.

Water test:

Look at the tires on my truck. Black is WET, white is dry. As a result, I had to lower the PSI to get full wet side to side.

You need to confirm this on your tires.

YES the OEM wheels will work with 35 x 12:50 tires, however, it will change the contact patch a bit by pulling in the sidewalls thus lifting the outer edges. You should be able to adjust the psi to compensate.

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owner, few questions/observations after 3 days of ownership IMG_2687.JPG

The longer LCAs are to change the caster as a result of tires/lift of about 2 in.

NOTE: Bigger tires change your wheelbase, its gets longer and as a result, you need to readjust caster slightly when going from 33-35 more when going to 37s. The longer LCA do this.

Wondering Why Wandering? Well been driving Jeeps since '65 and they all , like my X wife wander. Its a Jeep thing and you will come to understand unlike me NOT understanding my X.

Things to consider: Bigger, taller, wider tires wander because they are more affected by road surfaces and the curvature of the road. Wide tires nibble at if the psi is too low and it lets the outer edges nibble at the road. Adjust with psi to insure the outer edge is off the pavement slightly.

Also you have a front axle and it weighs a lot, which also affect your steering.

Every Jeep owner should understand Newton's 3rd law: For every Action there is and Equal and Opposite Reaction.

NOTE: my other vehicle: F 450 4x4 truck, it too wanders, and goes with the 4x4 solid axle territory.

Strongly suggest you leave the steering box alone, you have very little wear in it and unless you know what you are doing you can make a mistake you don't want leave it to pros!

WELCOME to the world of Jeeps and if like most of us men, our Jeeps are our mistresses.
Sponsored