ajbrutico

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Hello everyone,

I’m new to the jeep line, it had a couple of quick questions. It seems like this forum tends to be very helpful for jeep owners.

These questions correspond to the 2020 jeep. I assume the 2019 and 2021 maybe the same.

1. Does anyone know if the wiper controls should have a light in them at night? They don’t seem to be illuminated at all. Makes it impossible to see anything at night on the wiper controls.

2. I have the car set to turn on heated steering wheel and heated seats when remote start is active. When I remote start my car, it only seems to turn on the seat or wheel heaters about 50% of the time. Has anyone else seen an issue like this?

3. Have you guys found any way to increase the illumination in the jeep at night? Is there any aftermarket lights that can be purchased to brighten it up? It seems very dark. The internal lighting from what I’m reading tends to be very dim, almost unnoticeable. And then when is turned up all the way, it seems the dimming knob for the interior lights stops functioning.

I just bought the jeep, and it only has 2700 miles on it. So hopefully these are not mechanical problems.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Congrats on the new Jeep!!! I will try to answer these questions, but please realize there are so many options/packages on Jeeps what I say may not apply to yours (I have a sport with several optional packages).

1. I don't believe the wiper controls have lighting.
2. I'm pretty sure the heated steering wheel and seats don't turn on automatically when you remote start if the outside temperature is above a certain level which makes sense as if you start it in 90 degree weather you don't want the heated stuff to turn on. Not sure what the temperature was outside when you remote started but that could be the issue.
3. The interior lighting isn't great, I'm guessing in part to the location they have to mount the lights due to the flexible roof options. It doesn't bother me in particular, but there are multiple after market solutions to this along with several home made solutions I've seen on this forum. With very limited effort/funds, you can make it as bright as you want in there.

I hope this helps. You are correct this forum is a great source for questions. If you search around it you should be able to find answers to most of your questions. Again, congrats on the new Jeep.

OP
OP
ajbrutico

ajbrutico

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats on the new Jeep!!! I will try to answer these questions, but please realize there are so many options/packages on Jeeps what I say may not apply to yours (I have a sport with several optional packages).

1. I don't believe the wiper controls have lighting.
2. I'm pretty sure the heated steering wheel and seats don't turn on automatically when you remote start if the outside temperature is above a certain level which makes sense as if you start it in 90 degree weather you don't want the heated stuff to turn on. Not sure what the temperature was outside when you remote started but that could be the issue.
3. The interior lighting isn't great, I'm guessing in part to the location they have to mount the lights due to the flexible roof options. It doesn't bother me in particular, but there are multiple after market solutions to this along with several home made solutions I've seen on this forum. With very limited effort/funds, you can make it as bright as you want in there.

I hope this helps. You are correct this forum is a great source for questions. If you search around it you should be able to find answers to most of your questions. Again, congrats on the new Jeep.
Hi Dan, thank you for the well wishes. OK, that kind of makes sense. I thought this morning the temperature was below freezing, so it should have gone on in my opinion but maybe the garage was insulated enough for the temperature was a little higher so they didn’t activate. I’ll keep an eye on it.

I’m gonna have to look for aftermarket solutions to increase the lighting in the jeep. I’m used to having some mood lighting in the car at night, and I certainly miss it. If you know any, please let me know otherwise I’ll search.

Thanks,

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome!

First and foremost, picture of the new Jeep or it never happened!

1. No dice.

2. Your Jeep needs to register the outside temperature at 40°F or lower to kick on automatic heated seat and steering wheel. That’s for both remote start and regular start. I can confirm my 2020 JLUR won’t activate the feature at 41° and will at 40° based on the outside temp shown on the display.

3. There are a ton of aftermarket lights. There are also two light dials to the right of your headlight control: one for instrument cluster brightness (right dial) and one that’s an ambient lighting dimmer (left dial).

Cheers!

OP
OP
ajbrutico

ajbrutico

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome!

First and foremost, picture of the new Jeep or it never happened!

1. No dice.

2. Your Jeep needs to register the outside temperature at 40°F or lower to kick on automatic heated seat and steering wheel. That’s for both remote start and regular start. I can confirm my 2020 JLUR won’t activate the feature at 41° and will at 40° based on the outside temp shown on the display.

3. There are a ton of aftermarket lights. There are also two light dials to the right of your headlight control: one for instrument cluster brightness (right dial) and one that’s an ambient lighting dimmer (left dial).

Cheers!
Done!! Love the retractable roof! Can’t wait to enjoy this in the summer!

Do you have any leads on brighter interior lights?
Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owner (2020 Sahara) C7EA4840-2586-4F0E-90A7-058F5AAEBA7A

Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Anthony congrats on your purchase and welcome aboard.

I also have a ‘20 Sahara. I love it.

concerning your inquiry about ‘19 and ‘21 Wrangler. The short answer is yes. This is a forum concerning JL’s.

Wrangler went through a major model change in ‘18. So there are some 18’s that are JK’s and there are some that are JL’s. Essentially your ‘20 is the same configuration as those early ‘18 JL’s and the current ‘21 JL’s coming out of Toledo. With the exception of some component engineering changes (hopefully corrections) and the engine and color mods.

again congrats and welcome aboard. Enjoy the journey.

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Done!! Love the retractable roof! Can’t wait to enjoy this in the summer!

Do you have any leads on brighter interior lights?
Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owner (2020 Sahara) C7EA4840-2586-4F0E-90A7-058F5AAEBA7A
Nice looking Jeep!

I’ve used both Oracle Lighting and Diode Dynamics for exterior lighting needs but they both make interior lighting options. So far, they have been great companies to work with and have quality products. In fact, I’ve been so happy with both that I decided to buy more and I currently have new reverse lights from Oracle arriving any day now as well as some DD amber fog lights on order to replace the factory fogs.

The only somewhat interior light I’ve installed is the Brawlee LED light bar for the tailgate. This greatly improved the lighting when camping, cooking, and yes, loading groceries.

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owner (2020 Sahara) 1608995416630

OP
OP
ajbrutico

ajbrutico

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh wow that’s cool and functional. Do you have to turn it on yourself, or is there an accelerometer in the light that comes on when the Window was lifted? It looks like it attaches with the cigarette lighter and put in the back? And thank you for the info!

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Oh wow that’s cool and functional. Do you have to turn it on yourself, or is there an accelerometer in the light that comes on when the Window was lifted? It looks like it attaches with the cigarette lighter and put in the back? And thank you for the info!
Congrats on your purchase. How are you finding the Halogens head lamps at night? I have LED and love them but they are horrible in the snow as they don't heat up as much as halogens.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Sahara owner. Congrats on the handsome Jeep!

You will get used to operating the wiper stalk. I don’t even have to look any more; I just touch and know what to do with it.

I have no idea about brighter interior lights, but this might help...
Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owner (2020 Sahara) 1609001853488

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wired mine to a dimmer switch dial that I installed in the back because I wanted to be able to control how bright it got. The light won't come on automatically when opening the tailgate but you could easily wire it to the interior lighting so that it does.

Here's the thread that got me inspired on it:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tailgate-brawlee-led-light.12969/

JPajot

First Name
Jean-Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I just recently installed a set of Oracle ambient footwell lights in my 2018 Jeep JLU. Placement of the LED light strips is simple for the front footwell as well as for the rear passenger compartment. Front strips were placed along the rail that runs along the dashboard trim and the rear were mounted on the metal rail of the front driver's and passenger's seats. The hardest part was the wiring as the wires used for the ambient lighting is very thin and prone to breaking if using a T-tap. I would suggest exposing just enough of the insulation to attach a pigtail where all of your Oracle wires will connect to. $50 and a couple of hours to do the job right.
Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owner (2020 Sahara) IMG_1453.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owner (2020 Sahara) IMG_1461 2.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owner (2020 Sahara) IMG_1459 2.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owner (2020 Sahara) IMG_1454 2.JPG

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I don't know if a Tazer will solve the problem of the seats and wheels not coming on. It tends to remember the settings other buttons were at when you shut the jeep off.

In reality your jeep is probably just mad at you and messing with you because you call it a car. Never call it a car. Also, this is by far the most luxurious and well equipped jeep ever made. You only get so much. Heck, I am still fascinated that I have power windows....

As for lighted wiper controls, pppffft. Be glad you don't have this....

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owner (2020 Sahara) windshield-wiper-assembly-manual-1941-45-mb-gpw-23

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
I just recently installed a set of Oracle ambient footwell lights in my 2018 Jeep JLU. Placement of the LED light strips is simple for the front footwell as well as for the rear passenger compartment. Front strips were placed along the rail that runs along the dashboard trim and the rear were mounted on the metal rail of the front driver's and passenger's seats. The hardest part was the wiring as the wires used for the ambient lighting is very thin and prone to breaking if using a T-tap. I would suggest exposing just enough of the insulation to attach a pigtail where all of your Oracle wires will connect to. $50 and a couple of hours to do the job right.
Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Owner (2020 Sahara) windshield-wiper-assembly-manual-1941-45-mb-gpw-23
These look great! Thanks for sharing your experience. Here's the link to our footwell kit for anyone interested; it comes in single-color and ColorSHIFT.
Sponsored