Sponsored

New Jeep Manual Sport 2020 JL break in period

Jeepgurl2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport
Hi all,

I am a brand new Jeeper, have recently purchased a 2020 JL Sport. I have driven 700 miles on it and the clutch seems to have 'loosened' up a bit but I still feel a bit of drag/resistance when shifting gears (especially from first to second). I raised the issue with the dealership and they said that the break-in period is 2500 miles and it should become smooth after that. I just want to know if this is how it is supposed to be. Are Jeep manuals supposed to be smooth like other manual cars (I have driven a Mazda and Ford manuals before)? Is there anything I should be careful about during the break in period?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
I have 18 with 27k miles on it, it gets better. The clutch was tight when I first got and hard 1 to 2 shifts but now it is smooth, I think it's mostly just breaking it in

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Same with my '19. Very tight clutch with hard 1-2 shifts. Took it to the dealer as well and they told me it was normal.

Things didn't start to smooth out on mine until about 10k. I'm at 14k now and shifts seem to be a lot more forgiving. 1-2 shift can still a bit sticky when temps are low but over all its much smoother.

OP
OP

Jeepgurl2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport
I have 18 with 27k miles on it, it gets better. The clutch was tight when I first got and hard 1 to 2 shifts but now it is smooth, I think it's mostly just breaking it in
thanks a lot. good to know I am not the only one.

OP
OP

Jeepgurl2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport
Same with my '19. Very tight clutch with hard 1-2 shifts. Took it to the dealer as well and they told me it was normal.

Things didn't start to smooth out on mine until about 10k. I'm at 14k now and shifts seem to be a lot more forgiving. 1-2 shift can still a bit sticky when temps are low but over all its much smoother.
thanks.

Sponsored

rickyrobert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 2016 Toyota Venza, 2005 Nissan Sentra, 1972 Jeep CJ5
Sounds pretty normal to me. I wouldn't worry. Enjoy the new jeep!

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
i had the opposite, the clutch feels super soft in this Jeep, but maybe it’s subjective?

I’m at about 2,500 miles.

hope it loosens up for you.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I’m 500mi in on my JLUR. 1-2 has a little clunky throwing it in but typical of a “truck” manual. I was happy with it from the start and if it loosens up fine and if not equally fine.

to me this is totally normal for this type of vehicle. Enjoy.
Sponsored