Not open for further replies.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
I spent $30 to have a muffler shop weld my Flowmaster on. Agreed, I’d of gone with the Dynomax too.

The Flowmaster chrome tip is hidden so if you’re paying for the bling you don’t get to see it!
Wow, that sucks. Did you have them cut the Flowmaster pipe back to clean up the relief cutouts?
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh. Just what I like to hear when off the road - the mind-pircing whine of a dirt bike or the loud sound of an unmuffled vehicle that worries about a couple of ft-lbs of torque.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Wow, that sucks. Did you have them cut the Flowmaster pipe back to clean up the relief cutouts?
No cuts. Just more permanent than the C clamp.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
It’s after the catalytic converter so backpressure impact on torque is moot.

Have you looked at the extreme pipe bend before the suitcase muffler? Now that’s restrictive and robs top-end not to mention, when you eliminate the suitcase muffler, you save about 25lbs.

Speaking from experience this has been the best bang for the buck modification so far. Sounds great and runs better.
Not entirely true. From previous experience with other cars, I have lost some bottom end by putting a catback on. However, I usually ended up putting headers/downpipe on with a tune and gained it all back and then some.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not entirely true. From previous experience with other cars, I have lost some bottom end by putting a catback on. However, I usually ended up putting headers/downpipe on with a tune and gained it all back and then some.
Geez, I have experience in this particular instance and you have an opinion without experience. Hmmm, who should any reader believe?

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
Would you care to elaborate on these other cars? What aftermarket exhausts were you installing? I’ve never exhaust modified a modern turbocharged car, but have read they can be sensitive to inappropriate exhaust mods. The 3.6 Pentastar is a normally aspirated motor that will only benefit from increased exhaust flow. The goal is to evacuate the exhaust as quickly and efficiently as possible. These muffler delete pipes accomplish this goal effectively.

Everything I’ve read on any Pentastar muffler delete pipe, keeping the stock resonator in place, has not complained of any power loss. In my case and several people on this forum; have reported increased performance throughout the entire RPM range. Nobody has said they’re gaining 50 hp, but the engine responds and runs significantly better.

For $95.00 to $120.00 this is a no brainer. You remove at least 25 lbs. and gain ground clearance at a notorious area for bottoming out. As far as the increased loudness; that’s a personal opinion.

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I'm just telling you what EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO HEARD IT SAID. My wife refused to drive my Jeep while it was on. She said it was embarassing. Enough so that she said, "I don't care what you spend on new exhaust, get something else and get rid of that stupid muffler" (she doesn't know what it was). All of my Jeep friends pretty much said the same thing. They give me endless crap about it. I replaced it with the AFE Rockbasher 3" exhaust and it sounds much better now. If anyone in the DFW area wants the FlowMaster piece, I'll sell it for $75. It was only on the Jeep for about 2 weeks and is still shiny.
@offcamber

I might be interested. Is it this one? flowmaster 817837. I'm in North DFW, just south of Denton.

Last edited:

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would you care to elaborate on these other cars? What aftermarket exhausts were you installing? I’ve never exhaust modified a modern turbocharged car, but have read they can be sensitive to inappropriate exhaust mods. The 3.6 Pentastar is a normally aspirated motor that will only benefit from increased exhaust flow. The goal is to evacuate the exhaust as quickly and efficiently as possible. These muffler delete pipes accomplish this goal effectively.

Everything I’ve read on any Pentastar muffler delete pipe, keeping the stock resonator in place, has not complained of any power loss. In my case and several people on this forum; have reported increased performance throughout the entire RPM range. Nobody has said they’re gaining 50 hp, but the engine responds and runs significantly better.

For $95.00 to $120.00 this is a no brainer. You remove at least 25 lbs. and gain ground clearance at a notorious area for bottoming out. As far as the increased loudness; that’s a personal opinion.
I loss bottom end torque on a 2014 Mustang GT, a 2006 GTO and most recently a Focus ST, all proven by dyno runs and virtual dyno. By percentage, I loss the least amount of torque with my ST. It wasn’t but a few foot pounds, but it did move my peak torque ever so slightly to the right on all cars. Although a motor is a large vacuum pump, it’s not as easy as just getting air out as fast as you can. There is more to it. You really have to be careful when you increase exhaust diameter size. You also have to be careful when putting headers on vehicles to get the correct primary sizes as this can impact power and torque as well. I’m not saying that torque loss is a problem with this particular product, but it is a possibility. All motor designs react differently.

To answer your point, I do believe someone on the forum mentioned a loss of low end torque when removing the stock muffler. It wasn’t specific to this product, but a custom end pipe.

In regards to people saying they have seen improved engine response, I think they have been impacted by the placebo affect.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I loss bottom end torque on a 2014 Mustang GT, a 2006 GTO and most recently a Focus ST, all proven by dyno runs and virtual dyno. By percentage, I loss the least amount of torque with my ST. It wasn’t but a few foot pounds, but it did move my peak torque ever so slightly to the right on all cars. Although a motor is a large vacuum pump, it’s not as easy as just getting air out as fast as you can. There is more to it. You really have to be careful when you increase exhaust diameter size. You also have to be careful when putting headers on vehicles to get the correct primary sizes as this can impact power and torque as well. I’m not saying that torque loss is a problem with this particular product, but it is a possibility. All motor designs react differently.

To answer your point, I do believe someone on the forum mentioned a loss of low end torque when removing the stock muffler. It wasn’t specific to this product, but a custom end pipe.

In regards to people saying they have seen improved engine response, I think they have been impacted by the placebo affect.
Again, you’re opinion vs. real world JL experience. Did you look under your Jeep yet and see that the 2.5” pipe is squished nearly flat after the cat?

Just admit that you’re opinion is moot.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, you’re opinion vs. real world JL experience. Did you look under your Jeep yet and see that the 2.5” pipe is squished nearly flat after the cat?

Just admit that you’re opinion is moot.
Then can you please provide me with data that shows gains from this product besides a promise made in an advertisement or from someone’s butt dyno calibration? I have built many Wranglers in addition to building and tuning several motors. I do admit I have limited experience with the 3.6, but there are factors here that cross the spread of motor performance. Axlebacks essentially net you nothing except sound increase.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR

The Flowmaster muffler delete uses the same diameter pipe as stock. I did read about someone taking their JL to a local exhaust shop and having them fab something just to get the exhaust to the outside perimeter of the vehicle. I can’t remember offhand if that person stated the pipe diameter that was used.

Considering this; you should keep the pipe diameter the same. Increasing the pipe size will upset velocity and cause improper scavenging. All these muffler deletes do is remove the restrictive OEM muffler out of the system.

I have almost 6k miles on my JL but just recently installed the Flowmaster. I also have a 6 speed manual which most definitely highlights any need, compared to the 8 speed, to physically shift sooner due to a loss in torque.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Video clips?
Hopefully this will put this thread to bed. Here’s a real world example of how it sounds.

It’s a V6 so it doesn’t mimic a 4 cylinder fart can and it doesn’t steal torque from the bottom end. I’m in 4-low.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.