First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S, 2017 Lexus ES-350
Occupation
Department of Defense Program Manager
In the spirit of there is no horse that is so dead you cant kick it one more time, here are my thoughts regarding the ongoing 3.6 vs 2.o debate. Went to my local dealer tonight and drove both back to back. Both are 2 door Sport S with exact same option list save for engine. Here are my thoughts in no particular order:

a. 2.0 definitely feels more powerful - not by a tremendous margin, but no doubt about it.

b. Although the 3.6 could accelerate almost as quickly, you had to push the accelerator further to get there.

c. While 2.0 is quicker, the engine sounded like it was working more to do it.

d. 2.0 engine was louder - not by a huge margin, but louder. The 3.6 just purred along.

e. 3.6 puts out better sounds IMO.

f. I drove a 3.6 with manual trans first and felt it didnt have quite the get up and go the 3.6 with 8 speed auto did. Still fun, but almost..........sluggish.

In the end, going to be coming home with 2.0: primarily because that one was Red, and the 3.6 was Gecko.......Red is my favorite color, and really the only "issue" I had with it was the engine noise......until I turned up the radio a bit and couldn't hear it. If they had a red 3.6, I just as may as well come home with it. BLUF: You can't really go wrong with either. YMMV. Let the battle rage on.

PS: Service manager, touted to be one of the best in this region, and a diehard Jeep fan, pushes the 2.0 every chance he gets. Will be meeting with him on Friday to hear his arguments. Also, every dealer in my area is ordering 2.0s almost exclusively. Not sure exactly what that means, maybe they just make more money on them, I dunno.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That pretty much sums up my observations when I test drove a whole bunch of them a few years back.

I went with the V6... in Firecracker Red as well. No regrets on either choice.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
PS - wonder if the sluggishness you felt with the manual transmission was due to the recall that limits engine torque to protect the clutch.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Similar observation here with the 2.0t JLU and 3.6 JT. My 2.0t JLU feels as peppy with heavy 295/70r17 ridge grapplers and 3.45 as the JT does with light 315/70r17s and 4.10s.

That being said the 3.6 is smoother and quieter, the 2.0t more aggressive on the power band though.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Yes, dealers order vehicles configured to maximize profit.

DB2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara Altitude, 12 VW Beetle, 08 Honda Fit
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Security & Architecture
2.0L Turbo here. No complaints!

Jeep Wrangler JL New Jeep Coming Home 093816B2-D0D0-4B1D-86AB-DA545AE78E8D

OP
OP
friedenfels

friedenfels

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S, 2017 Lexus ES-350
Occupation
Department of Defense Program Manager
PS - wonder if the sluggishness you felt with the manual transmission was due to the recall that limits engine torque to protect the clutch.
Hmmmm.........wasnt aware of the recall. Could be. Just not as fun as the 20 year old hooligan in me wanted it to be - the 59 year old geezer liked the auto.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Sound is subjective. My sister has a 2.0 and I like the way it sounds.

I believe the sluggishnes of the 6 speed is due to the 3.45 gears. It really needs lower gears for both acceleration and better clutch response. At least 3.73 with the base 31.5” tires. 4.10s would be better.

W4V3

First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The 2.0 Turbo is a $500 discount on the price. I'm seeing fewer 3.6's available; some dealers are exclusively 2.0 Turbos.

The 2.0 Turbo operates in a higher power band. My 3.6 rarely goes above 3,000 rpm's; the sweet spot is 2,500-3,000.

Sponsored

TimJL

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I went with the 2.0 2door as well, great little peppy Jeep!

jeepunitas.jpg

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

In the spirit of there is no horse that is so dead you cant kick it one more time, here are my thoughts regarding the ongoing 3.6 vs 2.o debate. Went to my local dealer tonight and drove both back to back. Both are 2 door Sport S with exact same option list save for engine. Here are my thoughts in no particular order:

a. 2.0 definitely feels more powerful - not by a tremendous margin, but no doubt about it.

b. Although the 3.6 could accelerate almost as quickly, you had to push the accelerator further to get there.

c. While 2.0 is quicker, the engine sounded like it was working more to do it.

d. 2.0 engine was louder - not by a huge margin, but louder. The 3.6 just purred along.

e. 3.6 puts out better sounds IMO.

f. I drove a 3.6 with manual trans first and felt it didnt have quite the get up and go the 3.6 with 8 speed auto did. Still fun, but almost..........sluggish.

In the end, going to be coming home with 2.0: primarily because that one was Red, and the 3.6 was Gecko.......Red is my favorite color, and really the only "issue" I had with it was the engine noise......until I turned up the radio a bit and couldn't hear it. If they had a red 3.6, I just as may as well come home with it. BLUF: You can't really go wrong with either. YMMV. Let the battle rage on.

PS: Service manager, touted to be one of the best in this region, and a diehard Jeep fan, pushes the 2.0 every chance he gets. Will be meeting with him on Friday to hear his arguments. Also, every dealer in my area is ordering 2.0s almost exclusively. Not sure exactly what that means, maybe they just make more money on them, I dunno.
Before I ordered mine last summer, I also found a dealer with both 2.0L and 3.6L on the lot, drove them back-to-back, and had the same observations.

Coming from an '06 Sierra with GM's 4.8L V8, the 3.6L felt the same - powerful, but a little sluggish, like it was working. Shifting also seemed like it took a second to figure out wtf to do.

2.0L surprised me - it was peppy as hell, quick to shift, felt better.

~6 months into my 2.0L and I'm pretty happy. Plenty of power offroad and did well at altitude over Christmas/NYE.

305steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Sting Gray
2.0T drives phenomenal and has plenty of get up and go !

I do wish the XR package had the option to add the 2.0T rather than being forced to use the 3.6.

Enjoy the new ride !

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase