Sponsored

New issue Oil life to 0% in a very short period.

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler unlimited JL
Good day,
This is my second year and was not an issue last years.

Around the 9th of November, my oil was at approx 60% life left and when to 0%. At that time, I was at 24 332 km (15 119 mile). I immediately contact my dealer that tell me to simply reset the oil. Dont do that lol please lol. I did do the oil change then. I usually get my oil change every 10 000 km (mile 6214 mile) ish.

Jeep Wrangler JL New issue Oil life to 0% in a very short period. 20221108_083139

Only a few week later on the 3 December, the same thing, when to 0%.
I am now at 25 057 km (15 570 mile). So it has been 24 day and only 725 km (450 mile) between this oil change.
Jeep Wrangler JL New issue Oil life to 0% in a very short period. 691783038

Im currently away on a course and my wife reset it... not knowing that not a good thing to do.

Anothing to add, I was in FORM right before it happen. I was in form last years between Oct to Apr 95% of the time last years and never had a warning to change the oil.

Anyone else with this issue this years?
Sponsored

Last edited:

devonn216

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 4xe
I had this happen back in August. I got my oil changed before a cross country road trip. They rest the oil life when they changed it. I drove about 1600 miles and then the oil liked was down to 6%. I took to a dealership and they just reset the oil life even though I told them it had been rest properly when the oil was changed.

Tyler-98-W68

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe, 2022 Rubicon 4xe
If anyone has J-Scan They should try logging the OIL PID's like I have so I can compare vs my 2 4xes

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
If you are tracking your mileage as you are then resetting the OLM is not a big deal, its not a bad thing to do. You have a glitch in the system so next time you are in ask them to re-flash the computer with the latest software version.

Continue to track and do a visual inspection of the oil on the dipstick, if it looks okay then its probably okay. Based on the algorithm it should not be unheard of to shorten your OCI in the winter. Also understand that it is strictly an guesstimated calculation, there is no actual oil analysis happening. If you want an oil analysis then send a sample to someone like Blackstone labs.

Driving conditions affect oil life percentage
Oil life monitors track climate, driving habits and other conditions. The algorithm calculates mileage, idle time, engine temperatures, trip times, engine loads, and ignition starts and stops. It then establishes an oil change interval as low as 3,000 miles (4,800 km) and all the way up to 10,000 miles (16,000 km) and more depending on severity of conditions.

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

That 4xe has a pretty cool fancy pants dash!!

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm of the same opinion as Valpo Jeep. Get the BCM and PCM flashed with the latest updates at your next dealership visit.

And please help us all out, so we can help you, with a check of your spelling, grammar, punctuation. It makes it really difficult to read without distraction.

OP
OP

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm of the same opinion as Valpo Jeep. Get the BCM and PCM flashed with the latest updates at your next dealership visit.

And please help us all out, so we can help you, with a check of your spelling, grammar, punctuation. It makes it really difficult to read without distraction.
I touch it up a bit. Sorry English is not my primary language. I'm French.

Serge Labrecque

First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Same thing happened to me with my 2021; I tought it was broken so I trade it for a 2022... wrong move because it is the same condition. I took pictures of the dash of my 2022 when I noticed the percentage dropping. NOTE: outside temperature was a comfortable -4C. You will see 43% at 5225 km... the next morning 29% at 5225 km after starting the vehicle... and 15% after only 3km.
Jeep Wrangler JL New issue Oil life to 0% in a very short period. 43 percent at 4225 km
Jeep Wrangler JL New issue Oil life to 0% in a very short period. 29 percent at 5225 km without movi
Jeep Wrangler JL New issue Oil life to 0% in a very short period. 15 percent at 5228 km

Last edited:
OP
OP

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same thing happened to me with my 2021; I tought it was broken so I trade it for a 2022... wrong move because it is the same condition. I took pictures of the dash of my 2023 when I noticed the percentage dropping. NOTE: outside temperature was a comfortable -4C. You will see 43% at 5225 km... the next morning 29% at 5225 km after starting the vehicle... and 15% after only 3km.
Jeep Wrangler JL New issue Oil life to 0% in a very short period. 15 percent at 5228 km
Wow, it's great to see the transition that fast. To me look like a software issue. Weird was not an issue last year's.

Tyler-98-W68

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Neither of my 4xe's have this issue.

2021 Sahara, started at 64% before our cold snap, its now at 57%
2022 Rubicon Started at 92%, now at 82%

Until people start using J-scan to monitor the PID's other than a dealership doing a "fix" we won't have any better understanding of why.

Technically by Jeep's explanation its Step 3 of FORM

The other way to look at it is.

There are lots of other vehicles with the 2.0T. Obviously they are PHEV's but you could do a bunch of cold weather short trips in a Cherokee 2.0T or a Wrangler 2.0T and never have the problem even though it's exposed to the exact same kind of use scenario

Sponsored

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
I had this happen back in August. I got my oil changed before a cross country road trip. They rest the oil life when they changed it. I drove about 1600 miles and then the oil liked was down to 6%. I took to a dealership and they just reset the oil life even though I told them it had been rest properly when the oil was changed.
That is bizarre behavior; our 4xe Wranglers never did that. We just did a round trip to Charleston, SC from Chicago on my Rubi 4xe starting with oil life at 54% when we left and dropped to 51% when we got home 2000+ miles later. Given the time/mileage and my habits, I just did a (self) oil change this past weekend.

OP
OP

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Neither of my 4xe's have this issue.

2021 Sahara, started at 64% before our cold snap, its now at 57%
2022 Rubicon Started at 92%, now at 82%

Until people start using J-scan to monitor the PID's other than a dealership doing a "fix" we won't have any better understanding of why.

Technically by Jeep's explanation its Step 3 of FORM

The other way to look at it is.

There are lots of other vehicles with the 2.0T. Obviously they are PHEV's but you could do a bunch of cold weather short trips in a Cherokee 2.0T or a Wrangler 2.0T and never have the problem even though it's exposed to the exact same kind of use scenario
I was in form all last winter and never I was in step 3. Within the last 3 week, I have reach step 3 twice. Something is not adding up.

Tyler-98-W68

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it's not, but without data we can't figure out what's going on, again neither of my 4xe's have this issue, I'm in SK so similar temps. I hope this issue presents itself because then I can compare my previous oil life data to when this happens.

Serge Labrecque

First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, it's great to see the transition that fast. To me look like a software issue. Weird was not an issue last year's.
It was indeed an issue with my previous 2021 4xe ( oil change requested every 150km) . On the 2021, I had problems with the electric coolant module and I tought it was because of it. But I had the unfortunate surprise to learn it looks like a "normal condition".

Update: I found the pictures I took of the cluster of my 2021
Jeep Wrangler JL New issue Oil life to 0% in a very short period. 10 percent at 10608km.JPG
when it was 10%... and 0% the next morning after remote starting for 10 minutes, driving 1 km. Note: the outside temperature was 0C.
Jeep Wrangler JL New issue Oil life to 0% in a very short period. 0 percent after 10 minute warmup and 1 km of driving at 0C.JPG

Please also note that the fuel consumption was 21.9 l/100km ( 10.71 MPG ) Without anyone to teach me, I tought that remote starting will help... nope; it is worst.

Last edited:

Serge Labrecque

First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For your information, the reason why I have pictures of my cluster at every step of the oil life monitor going down is the following: I noticed that it happened at temperatures between 0C and -5C last year... then I took pictures of my cluster to my theory. At 20C it is OK... at -20C it is OK but around the freezing point, it looks like "dangerous condition" for our oil. I also think it is a bad programing of the parameters.
Sponsored