New information on JL loose steering

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
2018 JL jeep Sahara no problems 17000. miles Take it in for a recall...They replace the steering damper. I get it back I now have very sloppy steering and death wobble at times. UGH. Saw the unit they replaced was a AD unit with no oil return bulge at green dot. Reading quite a bit I see even if you get the proper AE unit its easily mounted upside down virtually killing the unit per some other V41 bulletin. Im thinking its back to dealer 4x if thats all you touched its gotta be the damper.
They did all sorts of upgrades alignments tire balancing. Same thing if not worse!
I spoke to the service foreman and showed him the oil return valve on the steering stabilizer. I stated several dealers have put them on wrong and others have the sticker that says front of jeep with an arrow. They mumbled something about how a shock works, they grabbed his bulletin and saw you must mount this with venturi bulge facing down.

Then he mentions, that they also had a reconfiguration for the front end done???? Huh nothing online?
Seems they must have parts and or adjustments that were not done on 4 door units and they did those as it had been set up for a 2 door unit??? Hmmmmmm Yeah the 2 door units are steering alot tighter and they configured it for a 4 door.

PLEASE put it back. and I need the AE Steering stabilizer/dampener with the reserve oil port hanging to the ground!

He was going to start the re investigation after the new information was revealed. will try post pix of what I have and what should be on there, as for the 2 door 4 door steering configuration. I have not seen anything on that.

The top pix has a pocket for oil to quickly return and purge air. The second pix is the unit I got on as they could not get the AE to perform well.

If Incorrect mounting for the 6 units they tried. I can see why they would all not dampen. Im told these symptoms per v40 bulletin loose steering and wobble over bumps

Screenshot_20191003-140522_Gallery[1].jpg

20191002_150845[1].jpg

20191002_100914[1].jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: