First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I don’t know a ton about bead lock wheels and I’m just curious for those who know much more than I do. Are these a game changer if approved by DOT?

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I have also been following these. they look like a good wheel. I was planning to run the Mopar beadlocks, but may give these a try.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
There are several DOT-T compliant wheels that also act as beadlocks. I think Dirty Life offers a wheel that can seat either way, but I’m not confident I understand their design. Coyote offroad sells inserts that inflate and act as a dual beadlock, but require drilling a second valve stem. Hutchinson makes the wheels I run. They’re multi piece rims that lock both the inner and outer beads. I like that I can mount/dismount at home without marring up the wheels. Another company (BAD?) makes another design for a similar price, but I’m familiar with how idiot proof HMMWV wheels are once on a vehicle so Hutchinson got my dollars.
It looks like Icon’s are priced around $380/wheel, so that seems like a great option.
Finally, my understanding about DOT. They don’t actually approve anything. A design can claim to be compliant, explicitly say they are for offroad use only, or stay silent on the subject. Traditional beadlocks do not comply with the voluntary standard. Where it gets messy is that some states have rules about keeping DOT-T compliant wheels on a registered vehicle. Some insurance companies require them or they will deny all coverage. Some states have rules about multi piece rims regardless of DOT-T compliance. It is up to us as consumers to thread the needle in this. Making more of a grey area is that the odds of you getting caught AND held accountable for breaking the rules are low. This leads people to say it is ok, and the rest of us are ignorant assholes trying to rain on their parade. It is true you’ll be fine running wheels that don’t comply with state law or your insurance until the day you’re not. 1 medical claim is enough to bankrupt most of us if insurance can legally deny it, so each of us manage risk as we see appropriate.

Last edited:

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I applaud Icon's innovation. I have their front and rear track bars and I am super impressed with their products and the company. Came close to buying their lift kit as well, but stayed with Mopar during the warranty honeymoon.

Having said that, the thought of driving around at 80 MPH on the highway with 80 or so additional holes on the 4 wheels, each one needing to be airtight as the rims cycle in temperature from -20F (New England winters) to 150F (hot day after some heavy braking), does not sound like a smart move. But that is certainly better than driving around at 80MPH with 100 bolts securing 4 rings to 4 wheels.

Personally, I'll offroad at 18PSI on normal wheels unless I'm trailering a rig.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I applaud Icon's innovation. I have their front and rear track bars and I am super impressed with their products and the company. Came close to buying their lift kit as well, but stayed with Mopar during the warranty honeymoon.

Having said that, the thought of driving around at 80 MPH on the highway with 80 or so additional holes on the 4 wheels, each one needing to be airtight as the rims cycle in temperature from -20F (New England winters) to 150F (hot day after some heavy braking), does not sound like a smart move. But that is certainly better than driving around at 80MPH with 100 bolts securing 4 rings to 4 wheels.

Personally, I'll offroad at 18PSI on normal wheels unless I'm trailering a rig.
That makes sense to me. What do you run at when trailering a rig?

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
That makes sense to me. What do you run at when trailering a rig?
My friend who trailer and are on beadlocks high single digits. I don't trailer - too much hassle.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
My friend who trailer and are on beadlocks high single digits. I don't trailer - too much hassle.
Nice I’m getting a Turtleback Getaway that’s why I asked. I’m going to stay stock 392 wheels for a bit.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
You are misunderstanding. Trailering a rig is putting your rig ON a trailer, not towing a trailer with yours.
Got it. Shows my ignorance. Thanks!

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
You are misunderstanding. Trailering a rig is putting your rig ON a trailer, not towing a trailer with yours.
Yes. Exactly. Thanks for clarifying. Alksion, of course normal highway pressure or even a bit higher while towing on the highway - sounds like you have lots of plans for your 392.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Yes. Exactly. Thanks for clarifying. Alksion, of course normal highway pressure or even a bit higher while towing on the highway - sounds like you have lots of plans for your 392.
Yes I do :) lots of camping. I really don’t like using the word overlanding. Kind of annoys me haha. Just a personal gripe.

For some people their vehicles sole purpose is to get them from point A to point B in the safest and cheapest possible manner. That’s totally fine and I can respect a person who goes down that path.

For me a vehicle has a much greater purpose. I really plan to get my full use out of this 392. It will see lots of Dirt and mountain trails. Hoping some dunes as well. I have a guy that comes to my business every week and washes my work vehicles and our personal vehicles. Even though I will be happy to get my 392 dirty, I will also get it detailed and cleaned regularly.

I’ve mentioned this before but I don’t have kids. I would probably be a little more frugal but until then I will enjoy being selfish :)

Going to Disney World on Sunday for a week. Hoping by the time I get back that I’ll have some good news from the dealer.

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Will be ordering these for my upcoming 2022 Rubi. I've always ran Trail Ready beadlocks in the past but the Icon's save 28 lbs of rotating mass for four wheels. Every little bit helps when running these gutless 3.6's with 37" tires.

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
I like the design of the internal beadlock but I can see some nightmare tire shop stories about trying to break the bead with the bolts still installed. If they don’t know any better they may think the bolts are just for looks.
Sponsored