Sponsored

New here - getting JL Sahara and have a couple of questions

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Has anyone actually gotten the Selectrac yet? I haven't seen any come through my dealer yet, but it seems like a good Idea to have a full time system.
I ordered one and took delivery late last week. Got the Selectrac and the LSD pretty much loaded. It rides great, put 325 mi over the weekend on primarily local in town and back roads, avg a tad under 23 mpg. Starting to rip it apart to rust proof, pulled the front liners, bumper and the front wheel bearings and brakes apart last night and will paint the calipers/brackets etc and grease the bearing/knuckle when I reassemble so down the road when I have to replace the bearings I can get them out of the knuckle, seen to many frozen in and techs have to pound on them with sledges and a tool to get them out. Ridiculous FCA doesnt put some grease on the knuckle/spleen when they asemble them.

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
I ordered one and took delivery late last week. Got the Selectrac and the LSD pretty much loaded. It rides great, put 325 mi over the weekend on primarily local in town and back roads, avg a tad under 23 mpg. Starting to rip it apart to rust proof, pulled the front liners, bumper and the front wheel bearings and brakes apart last night and will paint the calipers/brackets etc and grease the bearing/knuckle when I reassemble so down the road when I have to replace the bearings I can get them out of the knuckle, seen to many frozen in and techs have to pound on them with sledges and a tool to get them out. Ridiculous FCA doesnt put some grease on the knuckle/spleen when they asemble them.
Is this something that can be requested to be done by the dealer during first oil change?
I'm still curious why Jeep decided not to offer FT 4WD on 6speed MT Sahara. Must be some technical reason

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Theory I heard was that clutch slippage could confuse the selec trac system. Have no idea if that’s correct or not.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
Theory I heard was that clutch slippage could confuse the selec trac system. Have no idea if that’s correct or not.
Could be I guess. Although Audi managed to equip quattro with manual transmission, so who knows

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Is this something that can be requested to be done by the dealer during first oil change?
I'm still curious why Jeep decided not to offer FT 4WD on 6speed MT Sahara. Must be some technical reason
If you want to pay to have the brakes disassembled, rotors removed and bearing removed, yes, but would cost a lot.

You can do it yourself with some basic tools, very easy since the Jeep is new. You need a jack, jackstand, 13 mm 12 pt socket, 36 mm deep socket for the axle nut. T27 torx for the stupid nut holding the rotor to the hub. 21 mm for the bracket to knuckle

I have an impact gun and removed the axle nut, but could remove it with a breaker bar, do so first and can have someone step on the brakes.

Remove the two caliper to bracket bolts 13mm, remove the 2 bracket to knuckle bolts 21mm, hang the caliper with wire to the hold it, remove bracket. remove the 3 bearing hub to knuckle bolts and slide the the bearing hub out of the bore in the knuckle, clean the bore and bearing surface, wipe some good grease in the bore and some on the axle spleen and slide her back in and reassemble. I have mine apart because I painted the knuck, rotors and bearing/hub and will also be doing the calipers. I have the Tq specs at home. This is very easy, especially with only 325 miles and 4 days of driving.

per the manual and FT4WD, not sure why they dont offer it. I test drove a manual and thought 1st gear was useless in it, seriously WTF were they thinking, you could start off in 2nd, it just reved in 1st and didnt really go anywhere, ratio way to low. Note I have 4 manual trans cars, so I know how to drive a stick. The 8spd is the way to go in these, plus you can play Autostick if you like to shift. I have the 8spd in my 6.4 SRT and 5.7 Overland, this is the best shifting performance trans I have ever driven.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Technical reason is customers also need 2H .
The selctrac has 2 Hi, 4 PT, 4 auto, 4 LO, so all bases covered. I have it and the LSD. Only have had mine for 6 days, drove around in both 2H and 4 auto, popped it in 4 LO to see if it engaged and took out.

Only thing it needs would be a Varilock axle in the front like the old WJ's with quadra drive :)

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
If you want to pay to have the brakes disassembled, rotors removed and bearing removed, yes, but would cost a lot.

You can do it yourself with some basic tools, very easy since the Jeep is new. You need a jack, jackstand, 13 mm 12 pt socket, 36 mm deep socket for the axle nut. T27 torx for the stupid nut holding the rotor to the hub. 21 mm for the bracket to knuckle

I have an impact gun and removed the axle nut, but could remove it with a breaker bar, do so first and can have someone step on the brakes.

Remove the two caliper to bracket bolts 13mm, remove the 2 bracket to knuckle bolts 21mm, hang the caliper with wire to the hold it, remove bracket. remove the 3 bearing hub to knuckle bolts and slide the the bearing hub out of the bore in the knuckle, clean the bore and bearing surface, wipe some good grease in the bore and some on the axle spleen and slide her back in and reassemble. I have mine apart because I painted the knuck, rotors and bearing/hub and will also be doing the calipers. I have the Tq specs at home. This is very easy, especially with only 325 miles and 4 days of driving.

per the manual and FT4WD, not sure why they dont offer it. I test drove a manual and thought 1st gear was useless in it, seriously WTF were they thinking, you could start off in 2nd, it just reved in 1st and didnt really go anywhere, ratio way to low. Note I have 4 manual trans cars, so I know how to drive a stick. The 8spd is the way to go in these, plus you can play Autostick if you like to shift. I have the 8spd in my 6.4 SRT and 5.7 Overland, this is the best shifting performance trans I have ever driven.
Thank you so much for detailed explanation

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you so much for detailed explanation
I'll snap some pictures, if you do any wrenching, it is very easy. make sure you have the male torx, I pulled the caliper and bracket and didnt notice the small bolt holding the rotor to hub(use it during assembly). I promptly removed them and $hitcanned them. They are a stupid way of holding the rotor to the hub, on all my other mopars they uses a small ring and put the rotor on and then press the ring over one of the studs to hold it in place while the car goes down the assembly line.
The bolts will rust and gall into the hub and are a PITA to remove at the first brake job when you put new rotors on, they tend to strip, a stupid idea and expensive since they have to machine an extra hole in the hub flange, cant believe the bean counters alowed that.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Just bought that bumper, like 2 minutes ago. Did you get the winch plate with it? Did you install it?

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
This thread seems aged but thought I’d post for future buyers researching.

I agree the tow package is a must, not just for the aux switch bank and hitch bracket that comes installed, but it gives your engine a bigger amp and other things that make it “better” ....even if you don’t plan on towing I think it is worth it.

Also, the LSD is worth it to me since it upgrades the rear axle if I remember correctly.

I live in a cold air climate and love music....but did not get the winter package or the upgraded system. Don’t regret either. My Jeep is mostly garaged or being driven. Plus, by the time the heater gets going, my body heat has warmed my seat enough to where I’m comfortable. The alpine system I probably would regret except I love having the extra cargo room in the trunk (and it was an expensive option).
Sponsored