Sponsored

New here - getting JL Sahara and have a couple of questions

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
And yes, that G-wago-crap is ugly as sin and so are those euro fenders.
Gotta kinda agree here. Just because it’s expensive- doesn’t mean it looks good. Lordy, that haunts children’s nightmares . . .

But I digress. I have a Sahara and don’t worry about the bumpers. People have sold plenty on here, and CL will fill up eventually. I thought the same you did, but when you start looking at some of the aftermarket out there- cheaper and more custom.

The rest comes with time. I just cruise the usual sites (4wd, quadratec, etc) and mentally build as I go. Don’t worry about getting it right off the lot- you won’t. That would be called stock... ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
Gotta kinda agree here. Just because it’s expensive- doesn’t mean it looks good. Lordy, that haunts children’s nightmares . . .

But I digress. I have a Sahara and don’t worry about the bumpers. People have sold plenty on here, and CL will fill up eventually. I thought the same you did, but when you start looking at some of the aftermarket out there- cheaper and more custom.

The rest comes with time. I just cruise the usual sites (4wd, quadratec, etc) and mentally build as I go. Don’t worry about getting it right off the lot- you won’t. That would be called stock... ;)
Agreed. So many choices for mods. Thanks for your comments. Gelen is a classic by the way same as Wrangler

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
70028CC7-7A77-43CE-B730-11BC6457CA78.jpeg

I have SelecTrac on my JLU Sahara—factory order.
Pretty cool, I just haven't seen any come through my dealer yet. How do you like it so far?

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of hate on the g wagon. I really like them.
They're pretty good, but I think its the insanely high price and the image of elitism that turns people off on them.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Pretty cool, I just haven't seen any come through my dealer yet. How do you like it so far?
Haven’t used it yet. This one is not even a month old. Once the ice/snow begins on the east coast it will see some use.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
They're pretty good, but I think its the insanely high price and the image of elitism that turns people off on them.
For me, it’s just plain fugly.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Haven’t used it yet. This one is not even a month old. Once the ice/snow begins on the east coast it will see some use.
ah, good. I'll be seeing how well the limited slip diff does on mine.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For me, it’s just plain fugly.
To each his own opinion.

Not to mention the G-Wagen wouldn't have fit through some of the spots I've squeezed the Jeep through.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
To each his own opinion.

Not to mention the G-Wagen wouldn't have fit through some of the spots I've squeezed the Jeep through.
To me it's strange to call it ugly when 4door Unlimited Wrangler is basically mimicking Gelen as much as it can and while still maintaining Jeep look. if they could just fix those holes between the bumper and the fenders, lol

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
To me it's strange to call it ugly when 4door Unlimited Wrangler is basically mimicking Gelen as much as it can and while still maintaining Jeep look. if they could just fix those holes between the bumper and the fenders, lol
I would say theres no attempt at mimicking the G-Wagen at all. Considering the CJ models had been in production for 33 years before the G-Wagen became available to the public.

Also, the JL is the first Wrangler to try to fill that gap between the bumper and fenders in the North American version, so I'm not sure why you find it unusual. Also as stated by others, you'll be able to find plenty of sport owners take them off so it won't be that much of an issue for you to install them on a Sahara.

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
I would say theres no attempt at mimicking the G-Wagen at all. Considering the CJ models had been in production for 33 years before the G-Wagen became available to the public.

Also, the JL is the first Wrangler to try to fill that gap between the bumper and fenders in the North American version, so I'm not sure why you find it unusual. Also as stated by others, you'll be able to find plenty of sport owners take them off so it won't be that much of an issue for you to install them on a Sahara.
Saw in another thread of Euro Wranglers the bumper on Sahara looks a little different from US bumper. The end caps look slicker from Sport model ones in US. Maybe it just appears in the picture like that

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Saw in another thread of Euro Wranglers the bumper on Sahara looks a little different from US bumper. The end caps look slicker from Sport model ones in US. Maybe it just appears in the picture like that
Yes the European models have had that gap filled for aerodynamic reasons for a while now. The JK versions look pretty funky...

wrangler-sahara-black.png

But the JL looks a little better but not quite up to snuff... They'd have to fully integrate the bumper into the fender for it to look right IMO.

img.jpg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The gap is filled because of pedestrian safety regulations in Europe: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/designer-genes-how-regulations-dictate-the-look-of-new-cars
"Even grilles and badges—basically everything above the doorsills—must have blunted edges. But brush bars, protruding tow hooks, and front fenders that expose parts of the front tires, like those on the new Jeep Wrangler, are welcome in America. (In Europe, a different front bumper fills that gap on the Wrangler.)"
Interesting, I had always thought that was for fuel economy considerations.
Sponsored