New Hard top wind noise

Jking

First Name
Joe King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl jeep
I just traded my soft top for a hard top and the wind noise is really loud. The premium soft top was fairly quite. We put it on in a hurry without doing any adjustments so I was wondering what I can do to reduce the wind noise?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jking

First Name
Joe King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl jeep
My soft top was actually very quite, I traded for a hard top and its Very loud! So it has to be something with the hard top or the adjustments

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
I just traded my soft top for a hard top and the wind noise is really loud. The premium soft top was fairly quite. We put it on in a hurry without doing any adjustments so I was wondering what I can do to reduce the wind noise?
The answer is yes, if not adjusted, it might be causing some noise. I have been chasing noise in my Rubicon since day one.

There is no tech bulletin to tell you the correct way to adjust the panels.This is what I did and it cut the noise dramatically.

Check that the panel has the rubber buttons/circles on everywhere it has a latch, otherwise you will get a popping noise every time the panels flex during driving.

If they aren't there, I would go to you local hardware store and pick up a package of thin felt pads and stick to the panels because your dealership can't get the rubber buttons. (they are replacing a complete panel because of one missing on mine)

You will need to pull down the plastic header piece where the passenger airbag light is to adjust the front. (unhook your visors, and pull back and down for it to pop out of the windshield frame) You will see two torx screws for each bracket. These will slide once loosened from the bracket attached to the windshield frame
For the rear you will need to remove the panel where the dome light is located. Once removed you will loosen the bracket to rollbar bolts to make your adjustments
Marks with a fine tip sharpie helped although hard to see.
Make sure the tab the panel rests on is level each time you adjust or it may cause a squeak or popping sound going down the road or damage a panel.

What I did with mine was on a sunny day:
I removed the panels.
Placed passenger side back on. Made sure the rain gutter lined up with the rear section of the roof.
Latched the front latch above visor and then the latch in the back that connects it to the back half of the roof/top (closest to the door)
I adjusted the front bracket so that the panel was level in the front (evenly compressing the rubber area of the windshield) when latched.
256405-0faf6b6e342707bcad17132a7ed0cd8e.jpg

I adjusted the rear bracket so the panel was even/level with the back half of the roof when latched .

I placed the drivers panel on.
Latched the front latch above visor and then the latch in the back that connects it to the back half of the roof/top (closest to the door)
Adjusted the front bracket first so that panel was even with the passenger panel and the windshield when latched.
Adjust rear bracket so the panel sits even/level with the back half of the roof when latched.

The above steps may have to be repeated until you have a smooth transition from the windshield to the panel and the panel to the back half of the roof. Any high spots will change the flow over the roof and possibly cause noise. The seam in the middle should have an even gap front to back. (to correct you may need to unlatch the drivers panel and move around slightly)

Once you have it the way you think is right ask some one else to look for unevenness. Believe me when I say it helps. After looking at them so many times your eyes will play tricks on you.

Test drive as a final check.
This worked for mine, YMMV
Good luck,
Andy

Attachments

GMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sahara 2.0
X99104's post provides good info.
I found installation instructions that come with the purchase of a 3 piece hardtop...(hadn't found them anywhere else). They advise keeping a constant gap of 8mm, using a special Jeep gap tool,
I made one from several layers of cardboard taped together. Followed the adjustment procedure and it helped quite a bit, but has not completely eliminated the wind noise above about 55 mph.
Sponsored

Attachments