Sponsored

New hard tonneau cover for TWO door JLs!

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Earlier today, I had an accessory I've been looking for since I bought my JL installed on my Jeep- a hard tonneau cover for a TWO door JL! Pretty sure it's the first one installed, because my Jeep was used for the measurements...

This is exactly what I've been looking for, and I couldn't be happier with the result. Jon from JFTops.com makes rigid tonneau covers for JK and JL Wranglers, and he hadn't made a 2 door version simply because he couldn't find a 2 door to make the necessary measurements. He asked if he could use my Wrangler as a mule for the prototype, and I was only too happy to work with him.

The tonneau is made of 3/4" hardwood plywood (think cabinet-grade material) which is Rhino lined. Besides the top cover itself, there is a vertical piece that runs behind the front seat that adds security and rigidity. The result is some storage between the front seats and the vertical piece, as well as 32" of space behind the vertical piece and the tailgate. This creates a secure, locked area in the back when you have a soft top with or without the back windows (well, secure unless they remove the top piece- which would take a bit of time and be pretty darn obvious to onlookers).

In addition, there are some mounting rings that allow you to strap a cooler or other gear to the top of the tonneau. All in all, this is a fairly water-tight (not completely, but I think I can handle to few drips that will get through) solution, and it's a lot quieter than the canvas tonneau I had before. Retail price is around $500-550, according to Jon. There will be a soft-top version (which allows you to have the cover installed and still have your soft-top windows on), and a hardtop version (which I opted for because it doesn't require the bar in the back- which I just don't like... I think it looks cleaner this way and I don't use my rear windows when the soft-top is in place). The angle of the sun makes it look like there is a different finish on the front and back section, but they have the same finish and look great in person. You can literally stand on top of the tonneau- the vertical piece, aluminum track and tailgate provide a lot of rigidity. If you have a 2 door (or a 4 door) JL, and want a hard surface tonneau, look Jon up at [email protected] (note, I'm not affiliated with JFTops in any way- just a really happy customer).
Jeep Wrangler JL New hard tonneau cover for TWO door JLs! tonneau4

Jeep Wrangler JL New hard tonneau cover for TWO door JLs! tonneau1

Jeep Wrangler JL New hard tonneau cover for TWO door JLs! tonneau5

Jeep Wrangler JL New hard tonneau cover for TWO door JLs! tonneau2

Jeep Wrangler JL New hard tonneau cover for TWO door JLs! tonneau3
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
@Varilux still happy with the setup? About how much does it weigh? I think I like this design a bit better the Diabolical and feel this similar design won’t rattle in the long run. While also being a bit more watertight or at least splash safe.

Another plus, it looks to be a lot quicker to removed if needed. How does the forward security board attach near the floor? I can see where it does on the top.

Found this video they did of you Jeep.

Reactions: OBD
OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@SH556JL
I really like this solution a lot. Last April once it started to warm up I took the hardtop off and reinstalled the bed cover. The cover consists of two pieces. The back piece isn't too heavy, but the front piece (which has the security board permanently attached via a hinge) is kinda hefty. Still, I installed it myself in less than 10 minutes. I'd say the back piece weighs maybe 15 pounds and the front piece weighs perhaps 40 pounds (its length makes it a bit unwieldy). This year, instead of wrestling with the Bestop, I just left the Freedom Panels installed in the front with the tonneau cover for the back. The Jeep stayed that way all summer, and it was perfect (note, I do have a garage AND a truck I can drive if it is going to be raining all day- but rain is pretty rare during Dallas summers). Pop the Freedom panels off and you are totally topless, leave 'em on and you have protection from the sun and enough of an enclosed space to allow the AC to keep you cool. Plus, as I mentioned, I didn't have to wrestle with the "way too complicated IMO" Bestop softtop.

The security board attaches to the top piece via a piano hinge (runs the whole way across the piece- perfect for this application). The bottom edge has no connection- however because it tilts forward towards the bottom, you cannot push it towards the rear. It is also too deep to access the back area by swinging it forward (it almost immediately hits the back of the center console). I routinely put stuff back in the cargo space, locked the doors, and things stayed secure (even left the Jeep parked at DFW on numerous occasions without any incidents). Okay, if someone really wanted to get in your storage area, all they'd need to do is crawl up into the cab and hit the unlock button- or I guess they could get a Torx bit and just unscrew the fasteners... but either way it's going to take more effort than just reaching in the back and grabbing stuff.

As mentioned, the pieces are by no means light (they're made out of rather heavy wooden boards)- however, because of the way the security board is attached the result is a really stiff deck. I opted for the D-rings (shown later in the video- the first part had the tie down attachments they're starting to use in place of the D-rings). I've since taken the D-rings apart, painted them red to match the jerry can I have on the back, and reinstalled them. They look great and they are very functional. I've thought about mounting marine speakers to the front edge of the cover (to help with volume when the doors and top panels are removed), but haven't done so... yet. I have tied down gear and other stuff to the top of the cover using the rings, and the rhino-liner stuff he uses has held up perfectly (and stuff looks pretty cool strapped down to the cover... according to my wife and son).

The setup is not totally waterproof. You could/will still get water coming around the roll bar towers that protrude up through the cover. Also, the Freedom Panels are just a little too short IMO (when it rains the water travels back to the edge and drips right on top of the seat back... if the panels were just a couple inches longer...). Still and all, at least for me having Freedom Panels and the tonneau is a perfect summer set up. With the doors and panels off, its a great look while still protecting the cargo area. I found I could pretty easily hand wash the Jeep with just the panels and cover installed (you just have to be a little careful when squirting down the sides). The cover also does a great job of keeping dust out of the back. We did some trips where the seats, dash, etc. were coated- but the back was pretty darn clean.

Hope this helps- obviously, this tonneau gets two thumbs up from me! I'm just glad I bumped into the designer at the barber's... he said "Who has the 2 door JL?" and then used my Jeep to take the measurements he needed.
Jeep Wrangler JL New hard tonneau cover for TWO door JLs! tonneau

Last edited:

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I am going to reach out to them. Wasn’t aware the security board tilts forward. But it should be easy enough to modify and attach to the floor system I already have installed. Kinda like to combine them to have a flat tiered surface directly behind the seats, with enough room to also store my soft top windows when off. Looks slick and glad I found it when searching the forum.

Jeep Wrangler JL New hard tonneau cover for TWO door JLs! CF8C3A30-BE99-4E94-973F-C2656429FAF4

That’s the floor plate I would like to combine it into. Will be will simpler to do then the Diabolical setup (plus I am really afraid their stuff will rattle after years of use).

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to reach out to them. Wasn’t aware the security board tilts forward. But it should be easy enough to modify and attach to the floor system I already have installed. Kinda like to combine them to have a flat tiered surface directly behind the seats, with enough room to also store my soft top windows when off. Looks slick and glad I found it when searching the forum.
That’s the floor plate I would like to combine it into. Will be will simpler to do then the Diabolical setup (plus I am really afraid their stuff will rattle after years of use).
Just be sure to let him know you want the unit to be compatible with the soft top. I had him leave the deck completely flat (with no cutouts for the softtop hardware in the back) because I don't usually put my side panels on with the softtop. The tonneau (at least mine) makes no noise at all- in fact, having the back covered cuts down on wind noise quite a bit.
Sponsored