Sponsored

Undisclosed NEW! Front glide plate for Jeep JL and JT WITHOUT the drain plug on the bottom of the diff!

RanchoShocks

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gorancho.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
TL/DR
This is for the FRONT Dana 44 WITHOUT the drain plug, so mid-late 2021 and forward.
Check with your favorite retailer on cost.

Designed to protect your differential casting from direct contact in severe off-road conditions, the Rancho® rockGEAR® front differential glide plate mounts to the front axle casting of your Jeep® Wrangler or Gladiator. Manufactured from 0.25-in. high-strength steel with a durable red powder-coated finish, this differential glide plate delivers a smoother glide over obstacles.

• COMPATIBILITY -- Designed for Jeep Wrangler or Gladiator Dana 44 (M210) axles that DO NOT have a drainplug on the bottom of the very bottom of the center housing; please inspect your vehicle before purchasing
  • COMPATIBILITY -- Works with OE and most aftermarket differential covers on Jeep Wrangler JL or Gladiator JT, Dana 44
  • BUILT FOR THE TRAIL -- Protects differential casting from rocks and other obstacles while off-roading, rock crawling and trail riding
  • GLIDES OVER OBSTACLES -- Mounts to Dana 44 front axle casting for a much smoother glide over obstacles both forward and backward
  • RESISTS CORROSION -- Durable red powder-coat finish resists rust and corrosion
  • ENGINEERED TO LAST -- Features 0.25-in. high-strength, low-alloy steel construction for long-lasting strength

22-21 Wrangler_DifferentialGlidePlate_RS62148_Sell_072522.jpg
Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Just purchased this skid for my 2022 JL Rubicon. My issue is the fact that where the plate is notched to fit the contour of the differential housing, it does not actually make contact with the housing. In the picture, the skid plate is as tight against the bottom of the differential housing as it's going to get, but there is still a significant gap between where the skid is notched and the differential housing. As such, if you come down on a rock putting the weight of the Jeep on the skid, all the weight is on the differential housing flanges where the u-bolt is attached instead of the weight being distributed across the differential housing. Is this normal?

Jeep Wrangler JL NEW! Front glide plate for Jeep JL and JT WITHOUT the drain plug on the bottom of the diff! 22-21 Wrangler_DifferentialGlidePlate_RS62148_Sell_072522
Those nuts have a long way to go. They aren't even completely on there.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Need to loosen the cover bolts a little bit. Should be a gap under the front plate. And the pinyon side should touch. And once’s you tighten down the ubolt it will tighten up to the fins. I’ve attached the pictures on my skids I just installed

IMG_7836.jpeg

IMG_7835.jpeg

IMG_7760.jpeg

IMG_7763.jpeg

IMG_7762.jpeg

jaburk67

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JL Rubicon 2-Door
Need to loosen the cover bolts a little bit. Should be a gap under the front plate. And the pinyon side should touch. And once’s you tighten down the ubolt it will tighten up to the fins. I’ve attached the pictures on my skids I just installed

Jeep Wrangler JL NEW! Front glide plate for Jeep JL and JT WITHOUT the drain plug on the bottom of the diff! IMG_7762

Jeep Wrangler JL NEW! Front glide plate for Jeep JL and JT WITHOUT the drain plug on the bottom of the diff! IMG_7762

Thanks for the reply, but already tried that. The skid is tight against the flanges on the diff housing and no matter how loose the diff cover bolts are, it won't fit up snug against the housing. There is a good 1/4" gap or better.

jaburk67

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TL/DR
This is for the FRONT Dana 44 WITHOUT the drain plug, so mid-late 2021 and forward.

Designed to protect your differential casting from direct contact in severe off-road conditions, the Rancho® rockGEAR® front differential glide plate mounts to the front axle casting of your Jeep® Wrangler or Gladiator. Manufactured from 0.25-in. high-strength steel with a durable red powder-coated finish, this differential glide plate delivers a smoother glide over obstacles.

• COMPATIBILITY -- Designed for Jeep Wrangler or Gladiator Dana 44 (M210) axles that DO NOT have a drainplug on the bottom of the very bottom of the center housing; please inspect your vehicle before purchasing
  • COMPATIBILITY -- Works with OE and most aftermarket differential covers on Jeep Wrangler JL or Gladiator JT, Dana 44
  • BUILT FOR THE TRAIL -- Protects differential casting from rocks and other obstacles while off-roading, rock crawling and trail riding
  • GLIDES OVER OBSTACLES -- Mounts to Dana 44 front axle casting for a much smoother glide over obstacles both forward and backward
  • RESISTS CORROSION -- Durable red powder-coat finish resists rust and corrosion
  • ENGINEERED TO LAST -- Features 0.25-in. high-strength, low-alloy steel construction for long-lasting strength

TL/DR

Just purchased this skid for my 2022 JL Rubicon. My issue is the fact that where the plate is notched to fit the contour of the differential housing, it does not actually make contact with the housing. In the picture, the skid plate is as tight against the bottom of the differential housing as it's going to get (I know that the u-bolt isn't tight), but there is still a significant gap between where the skid is notched and the differential housing. As such, if you come down on a rock putting the weight of the Jeep on the skid, all the weight is on the differential housing flanges where the u-bolt is attached instead of the weight being distributed across the differential housing. Is this normal?

Jeep Wrangler JL NEW! Front glide plate for Jeep JL and JT WITHOUT the drain plug on the bottom of the diff! IMG_3195.JPG

Sponsored

DonH63

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GC Trailhawk, 23 JLUR 392
Occupation
Retired EE; musician (trumpet)
@RanchoShocks @jaburk67 curious if this was resolved?

Also, does the rear skid (RS62117) fit OK? My rear dif (2023 JLU 392) does not have a bottom plug either, but I do not know if they are all that way and have been a while.

Out yesterday and saw the Rancho diff skids on his older Jeep JL, hoping to add to mine.

jaburk67

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rear skid works fine. Rancho suggested Northridge 4x4 send a replacement but it was exactly the same as the first one they sent me. I saw another post on here where another member had a similar issue with his 2023. He suspects that Jeep made a slight change to the casing on the front axle and I believe that is the case as well since mine is a late 2022 model.

DonH63

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rear skid works fine. Rancho suggested Northridge 4x4 send a replacement but it was exactly the same as the first one they sent me. I saw another post on here where another member had a similar issue with his 2023. He suspects that Jeep made a slight change to the casing on the front axle and I believe that is the case as well since mine is a late 2022 model.
Great on the rear, ouch on the front! Guess we'll see if Rancho responds... Researching other parts, it seems like Jeep made a lot of minor quiet changes that messed up the aftermarket.

My bet (assuming it is not on Rancho) is Jeep shaved a little material off the diff, saving some $$$, and now Rancho's new upgrade is a little too large for the reduced diff size. Blah.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RanchoShocks

RanchoShocks

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gorancho.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Blah is right, let me ask my team on this.

Great on the rear, ouch on the front! Guess we'll see if Rancho responds... Researching other parts, it seems like Jeep made a lot of minor quiet changes that messed up the aftermarket.

My bet (assuming it is not on Rancho) is Jeep shaved a little material off the diff, saving some $$$, and now Rancho's new upgrade is a little too large for the reduced diff size. Blah.

DonH63

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Blah is right, let me ask my team on this.
Thanks, appreciate it. I was ready to order and catch the sales, but held up (missing the sale, natch) out of concern it wouldn't fit. There don't seem to be a lot of front skids that don't require replacing the diff cover as well, something I was hoping to avoid for now. And some of the others have a fair number of bad reviews.

There also seem to be a number of small tweaks made during production that cause major headaches for folk trying to protect and/or upgrade various components. As you know, having redesigned the bloody thing once already!

Sponsored

OP
OP
RanchoShocks

RanchoShocks

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gorancho.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Are you a 392 by chance?

Just purchased this skid for my 2022 JL Rubicon. My issue is the fact that where the plate is notched to fit the contour of the differential housing, it does not actually make contact with the housing. In the picture, the skid plate is as tight against the bottom of the differential housing as it's going to get (I know that the u-bolt isn't tight), but there is still a significant gap between where the skid is notched and the differential housing. As such, if you come down on a rock putting the weight of the Jeep on the skid, all the weight is on the differential housing flanges where the u-bolt is attached instead of the weight being distributed across the differential housing. Is this normal?

Jeep Wrangler JL NEW! Front glide plate for Jeep JL and JT WITHOUT the drain plug on the bottom of the diff! IMG_3195.JPG