Sponsored

New Forbes Article on the JL Launch And Jeep Brand

RubiBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hi All,

Here is an article I have just published on Forbes on the JL launch and the Jeep Brand that took several months to write.

Please understand that I'm not an avid off-roader - I just took my first lessons last year. I have tried to be as comprehensive and fair as possible, but I'm sure I got some of it wrong.

I welcome your thoughts and opinions. Just be gentle: I'm an unpaid journalist and a real person, too.

Jeep's Big Gamble: Staying the Course With the New Wrangler JL

David Vinjamuri
Excellent article!
Sponsored

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Yes you are absolutely right that the conventional thinking is that Jeep played it safe. I was trying to suggest that it's a gamble because I believe that internally they see dissatisfaction with the Wrangler JK from some of the people who buy it only for the looks or image. Those people probably outnumber the enthusiasts ...
It is also still a gamble when you look at the big picture of the global market. There is a reason most SUVs, including the likes of Range Rovers, are now unibody. For the few remaining body on frame vehicles, they are placing a bet that the pros outweigh all the cons that converted the others. However, for Jeep, unlike the 4Runner who is carried by the Toyota brand reputation and high volume sales of some of the most popular vehicles in the world, like the Camry, the Wrangler is the vehicle that carries the whole brand. So, for such an important vehicle to a brand to stay with the “out dated” roots , I think is a big gamble. Just because it continues to pay off doesn’t mean it wasn’t a gamble to begin with.

Atomic Anvil

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicanvil.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mercedes Benz CLA 250 Sport
Occupation
Technology Consultant & Professional Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
I have wanted a Jeep since my first ride in one when I was 6 years old. I spot them coming from a mile away, wave to the drivers while riding my motorcycles, and stop to admire every well built custom one I have ever seen. Finally, at 45 years old, I ordered my first JLU in January.

This article not only provides insightful reflection on Jeep's history, but truly captures the feeling I have had since childhood for a brand that has always represented freedom. Jeep loyalists, enthusiasts, and mall crawlers alike all seem to share a common thread; the desire to make every road the road less travelled, and the desire to travel it in a vehicle that represents their own personal interpretation of freedom.

You wrote a fantastic piece David! You were detailed and unbiased and honest and thoughtful, which exemplifies what a writer should strive to achieve. Well done, and keep up the great work. It makes me even more impatient for my new toy to arrive...

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
Excellent article David; very thorough.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Great article. Makes me want a JL even more.

Sponsored

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

Here is an article I have just published on Forbes on the JL launch and the Jeep Brand that took several months to write.

Please understand that I'm not an avid off-roader - I just took my first lessons last year. I have tried to be as comprehensive and fair as possible, but I'm sure I got some of it wrong.

I welcome your thoughts and opinions. Just be gentle: I'm an unpaid journalist and a real person, too.

Jeep's Big Gamble: Staying the Course With the New Wrangler JL

David Vinjamuri
I think you were spot-on! With the Hummer gone, the MB G-class going to independent suspension, and the Land Rover Defender out of production (and probably going soft when they relaunch), there is no other true off-road enthusiast option. Jeep nailed this one!

OP
OP
dvwriter

dvwriter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk’n JLUR Rubicon, Ford Flex
Occupation
Journalist, Educator, Trainer
I have wanted a Jeep since my first ride in one when I was 6 years old. I spot them coming from a mile away, wave to the drivers while riding my motorcycles, and stop to admire every well built custom one I have ever seen. Finally, at 45 years old, I ordered my first JLU in January.

This article not only provides insightful reflection on Jeep's history, but truly captures the feeling I have had since childhood for a brand that has always represented freedom. Jeep loyalists, enthusiasts, and mall crawlers alike all seem to share a common thread; the desire to make every road the road less travelled, and the desire to travel it in a vehicle that represents their own personal interpretation of freedom.

You wrote a fantastic piece David! You were detailed and unbiased and honest and thoughtful, which exemplifies what a writer should strive to achieve. Well done, and keep up the great work. It makes me even more impatient for my new toy to arrive...
Wow thank you so much! Please send me a note and tell me your reactions for the first couple of days when you get it!

Jeffinstl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't continue to Forbes unless you white-list their site. It just reloads the same page.

That's the reason I don't read ANYTHING on Forbes.
Why did you click on it in the first place then if you don’t read Forbes?

SpaceDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
SpaceDog
Why did you click on it in the first place then if you don’t read Forbes?
I always click-through the link to the article just in case--but close it down when that garbage comes up.

Is that an acceptable answer for you?

Jeffinstl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I always click-through the link to the article just in case--but close it down when that garbage comes up.

The only answer I will accept is that you just like to complain.

Sponsored

SpaceDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
SpaceDog
The only answer I will accept is that you just like to complain.
Seriously? Go look around at my posts and see how often I complain.

This is just one of those things that irks me. Apologies if somehow it offended you that I don't like ads shoved in my face at every turn.

OP
OP
dvwriter

dvwriter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk’n JLUR Rubicon, Ford Flex
Occupation
Journalist, Educator, Trainer
Seriously? Go look around at my posts and see how often I complain.

This is just one of those things that irks me. Apologies if somehow it offended you that I don't like ads shoved in my face at every turn.
If you DM me I will send you a text version of the article with no ads at all

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It was a

I'm on a Chromebook and it doesn't seem to get too jammed up with that stuff.

Atomic Anvil

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicanvil.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mercedes Benz CLA 250 Sport
Occupation
Technology Consultant & Professional Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Wow thank you so much! Please send me a note and tell me your reactions for the first couple of days when you get it!
I will absolutely do that.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
So, CJ stands for "civilian Jeep." I like that. What does JL stand for?
Sponsored