David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk’n JLUR Rubicon, Ford Flex
Occupation
Journalist, Educator, Trainer
Hi All,

Here is an article I have just published on Forbes on the JL launch and the Jeep Brand that took several months to write.

Please understand that I'm not an avid off-roader - I just took my first lessons last year. I have tried to be as comprehensive and fair as possible, but I'm sure I got some of it wrong.

I welcome your thoughts and opinions. Just be gentle: I'm an unpaid journalist and a real person, too.

Jeep's Big Gamble: Staying the Course With the New Wrangler JL

David Vinjamuri
Sponsored

Parkers39

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

Here is an article I have just published on Forbes on the JL launch and the Jeep Brand that took several months to write.

Please understand that I'm not an avid off-roader - I just took my first lessons last year. I have tried to be as comprehensive and fair as possible, but I'm sure I got some of it wrong.

I welcome your thoughts and opinions. Just be gentle: I'm an unpaid journalist and a real person, too.

David Vinjamuri
Well done

dave.j.fisher

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I think it was a good article. I disagree on the "Gamble" part though. I think it was actually the more conservative approach by making minimal changes to the vehicle exterior. FCA was selling a lot of the JKs and I don't think they wanted to completely redesign it. There is a great deal of history behind Jeep, specifically with the Wrangler and I think it was smart not to reinvent the wheel with it.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Hi All,

David Vinjamuri
Wow! A very thoughtful article. Was it our @DanW that received his 15 minutes of fame? :) I believe you hit the proverbial nail on the head when you spoke of heritage and Jeep ownership. Heritage not only familial, but with each other on the roads or trails, as well. We are a friendly bunch, for sure. Another aspect that you touched is the evolution of Jeep. Jeep has really stayed true to its roots and has evolved to stay current and attract new owners, while still appealing to lifelong enthusiasts. Thanks for the great read!

Gandersonsays

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
I am about half way through and am very impressed with the level of detail you included in your article. As someone who considers himself a Jeep enthusiast (albeit, there will always stuff I don't know) I learned quit a bit from your article! I also appreciate the fact that you admit to not being an avid off-roader as well as an unpaid journalist. Safe to say, it takes a lot of courage to write a long form piece about the Wrangler and then post it on a Jeep forum for feedback and (hopefully) constructive criticism. Overall, I think you did a great job at stringing together the narrative history and development of the Jeep brand. Definitely went beyond a lot of the reporting I have seen elsewhere, even on car websites.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dvwriter

dvwriter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think it was a good article. I disagree on the "Gamble" part though. I think it was actually the more conservative approach by making minimal changes to the vehicle exterior. FCA was selling a lot of the JKs and I don't think they wanted to completely redesign it. There is a great deal of history behind Jeep, specifically with the Wrangler and I think it was smart not to reinvent the wheel with it.
Yes you are absolutely right that the conventional thinking is that Jeep played it safe. I was trying to suggest that it's a gamble because I believe that internally they see dissatisfaction with the Wrangler JK from some of the people who buy it only for the looks or image. Those people probably outnumber the enthusiasts ...

OP
OP
dvwriter

dvwriter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wow! A very thoughtful article. Was it our @DanW that received his 15 minutes of fame? :) I believe you hit the proverbial nail on the head when you spoke of heritage and Jeep ownership. Heritage not only familial, but with each other on the roads or trails, as well. We are a friendly bunch, for sure. Another aspect that you touched is the evolution of Jeep. Jeep has really stayed true to its roots and has evolved to stay current and attract new owners, while still appealing to lifelong enthusiasts. Thanks for the great read!
Yes, DanW from this forum! I got pulled into this because I went off-road last year and started considering a Wrangler. I saw Dan's posts and video because I'm a fan of manual transmissions ...

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Yes, DanW from this forum! I got pulled into this because I went off-road last year and started considering a Wrangler. I saw Dan's posts and video because I'm a fan of manual transmissions ...
I’m a fan of manuals, as well :fist bump:

Parkers39

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
You can always tell when someone comments without reading the article..... The "Gable" refers to the history of the jeep. Stemming back generations, the Jeep has always been unconventional and that has paid off for the brand. Today's jeep continues the lineage of that gamble by keeping the ruggedness and design quality of its ancestors while add creature comforts. So the gamble to the SUV-driving population is that a wrangler is not a traditional SUV. The gamble to the Jeep enthusiasts is that the JL added creature comforts to appeal specifically to a broader audience - expanding on the successes of the JK. Both are gables working in opposite directions, making for one "big gamble."

Read. Formulate opinion. Write response. In that order, friend.

Sponsored

MBurgJL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi All,

David Vinjamuri
Great article and welcome to the Jeep world :jk:

This would be a great article to link to the home page....

Last edited:

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have been browsing this site for a while now and finally registered for it. The reason I registered was due to this article. I thought it was a great read and wanted be able to say so.

Great job, enjoyed the read immensely. I forwarded a copy of it to my friend that works at Corporate FCA in Detroit. :D

OP
OP
dvwriter

dvwriter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have been browsing this site for a while now and finally registered for it. The reason I registered was due to this article. I thought it was a great read and wanted be able to say so.

Great job, enjoyed the read immensely. I forwarded a copy of it to my friend that works at Corporate FCA in Detroit. :D
Thank you so much - I really appreciate that! Notes like that are what makes it worth writing.

OP
OP
dvwriter

dvwriter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here's a video that goes with the Forbes article but just went up in case you have already read it. There are actually two more coming but they're delayed while we get some permissions in.
Sponsored