Sponsored

New exhaust recommendations for 19 Jeep JL

mpk1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Im in the process of buying a new Jeep JL and will customize from there

After my research, it appears the Magnaflow and Flowmaster OUtlaw are the two highest approved and recommended

Another option I'm curious about--The Dynomax Muffler Elimination Pipe (maybe piggybacked with a Dyno Buller or Vibrator??)
Does this set up make any sense ??

Looking for a more aggressive drive on the jeep--clearance also important--doubt If I do any serious off roading here in S. Florida unless I get close to the Everglades.
Sponsored

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Im in the process of buying a new Jeep JL and will customize from there

After my research, it appears the Magnaflow and Flowmaster OUtlaw are the two highest approved and recommended

Another option I'm curious about--The Dynomax Muffler Elimination Pipe (maybe piggybacked with a Dyno Buller or Vibrator??)
Does this set up make any sense ??

Looking for a more aggressive drive on the jeep--clearance also important--doubt If I do any serious off roading here in S. Florida unless I get close to the Everglades.
It depends on what you are looking for. A rock crawler exhaust from either MF or Flowmaster will be loud. In the case of the MF, I had it and it also droned. MF has changed the muffler in their rock crawler kit so it may be a bit easier in the cabin.

Flowmaster has Outlaw and American Thunder mufflers for their rock crawlers but the last I checked the quieter American Thunder in a catback/rock crawler was not out.

The Dynomax rear muffler delete is a safe first step. It will be louder and at times raspy but it will be quieter than the MF and FM rock crawlers. You can keep the factory resonator in place and if you wanted you could weld in a race bullet muffler before the Dynomax tailpipe.

If you want to keep your factory resonator and put in a race bullet I would get one of the following.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3VHVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have this one paired with a Borla XP muffler. Love it.

or

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1141...AMVH5P6Y2MX&psc=1&refRID=7BY79BJ7HAMVH5P6Y2MX . I may get this one at some point bc even with the Borla my current Jeep could be a bit more subdued under hard acceleration.

So the line up would be.

Factory Resonator + connection pipe + Bullet Resonator - Dynomax tailpipe.

If you want a deeper tone then I would go with what I built or something similar.

Connection pipe from Jeep Y-pipe + Vibrant Resonator (normal or queit) + Borla XP 2.25" offset muffler + new tailpipe.

OP
OP

mpk1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
It depends on what you are looking for. A rock crawler exhaust from either MF or Flowmaster will be loud. In the case of the MF, I had it and it also droned. MF has changed the muffler in their rock crawler kit so it may be a bit easier in the cabin.

Flowmaster has Outlaw and American Thunder mufflers for their rock crawlers but the last I checked the quieter American Thunder in a catback/rock crawler was not out.

The Dynomax rear muffler delete is a safe first step. It will be louder and at times raspy but it will be quieter than the MF and FM rock crawlers. You can keep the factory resonator in place and if you wanted you could weld in a race bullet muffler before the Dynomax tailpipe.

If you want to keep your factory resonator and put in a race bullet I would get one of the following.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3VHVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have this one paired with a Borla XP muffler. Love it.

or

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1141...AMVH5P6Y2MX&psc=1&refRID=7BY79BJ7HAMVH5P6Y2MX . I may get this one at some point bc even with the Borla my current Jeep could be a bit more subdued under hard acceleration.

So the line up would be.

Factory Resonator + connection pipe + Bullet Resonator - Dynomax tailpipe.

If you want a deeper tone then I would go with what I built or something similar.

Connection pipe from Jeep Y-pipe + Vibrant Resonator (normal or queit) + Borla XP 2.25" offset muffler + new tailpipe.
Thank you for this detailed response. Much appreciated.

Can you tell me about your Borla XP muffler ....did it replace the factory muffler in the back then? How is the sound with the XP & Vibrant?

It appears here are 3 good options:

1. MF Rock Crawler

2. Factory Res + Vibrant+ Dynomax tailpipe

3. Factory Res + Vibrant + Borla Xp muffler

I am looking for an aggressive sound so probably no bad choice? Do you have a clip of your setup? I'd definitely like to hear it.

OP
OP

mpk1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I’ve heard nothing good about magnaflow. Poor fitment. Terrible drone. Those are common.

Borla is well liked and has no drone.
Interesting...seems like MF pretty popular for Jeeps

Sponsored

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thank you for this detailed response. Much appreciated.

Can you tell me about your Borla XP muffler ....did it replace the factory muffler in the back then? How is the sound with the XP & Vibrant?

It appears there are 3 good options:

1. MF Rock Crawler

2. Factory Res + Vibrant+ Dynomax tailpipe

3. Factory Res + Vibrant + Borla Xp muffler

I am looking for an aggressive sound so probably no bad choice? Do you have a clip of your setup? I'd definitely like to hear it.
You are most welcome especially since I am the king of TL:DR posts.

In reverse order:

3. The muffler I have, Borla XP, has a deep throaty sound but is not obnoxious. This is especially true if you use the normal Vibrant resonator. If you add the quiet Vibrant I am not sure it will be aggressive enough. Borlas don't drone. Full stop. So I would say this one is a good option you can live with. If you want more exhaust note (louder and more hotrod) then get the S-Type muffler Borla Crawler catback kit. If its too loud you can add in the Vibrant resonator (normal or quiet) to take the edge off.

2. This could work but you would be running two resonators (factory pumpkin and then the Vibrant) with no muffler. This could give you a happy medium of more exhaust note but contain the drone potential. I have heard people who do the muffler delete alone usually hear crackling & popping which gets old. The cheapest path of these three options IMO.

1. I can say I hated my MF Rock Crawler bc of the drone. It was more intrusive than the volume or exhaust note of the setup. MF has put in a new muffler (for this kit) which is more oval and not the old bullet style. If you decide to go this route make sure you get the updated kit. Again you can add in a Vibrant resonator to reduce drone and excessive volume if you like the tone of the MF in the end.

I was going to post a video/audio clip of my setup but I got into a freak accident and damaged my hardtop. The part is on backorder until the end of the month so it sits at the body shop collecting dust. :(

OP
OP

mpk1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
You are most welcome especially since I am the king of TL:DR posts.

In reverse order:

3. The muffler I have, Borla XP, has a deep throaty sound but is not obnoxious. This is especially true if you use the normal Vibrant resonator. If you add the quiet Vibrant I am not sure it will be aggressive enough. Borlas don't drone. Full stop. So I would say this one is a good option you can live with. If you want more exhaust note (louder and more hotrod) then get the S-Type muffler Borla Crawler catback kit. If its too loud you can add in the Vibrant resonator (normal or quiet) to take the edge off.

2. This could work but you would be running two resonators (factory pumpkin and then the Vibrant) with no muffler. This could give you a happy medium of more exhaust note but contain the drone potential. I have heard people who do the muffler delete alone usually hear crackling & popping which gets old. The cheapest path of these three options IMO.

1. I can say I hated my MF Rock Crawler bc of the drone. It was more intrusive than the volume or exhaust note of the setup. MF has put in a new muffler (for this kit) which is more oval and not the old bullet style. If you decide to go this route make sure you get the updated kit. Again you can add in a Vibrant resonator to reduce drone and excessive volume if you like the tone of the MF in the end.

I was going to post a video/audio clip of my setup but I got into a freak accident and damaged my hardtop. The part is on backorder until the end of the month so it sits at the body shop collecting dust. :(
I actually have been looking at that Borla S-Ttype and the AFE Power Mach Force XP Hi Tuck Cat Back.....
The Jeep Custom Shop I'm taking my new jeep too carries the Flowmaster OUtlaw Axel Back

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I actually have been looking at that Borla S-Ttype and the AFE Power Mach Force XP Hi Tuck Cat Back.....
The Jeep Custom Shop I'm taking my new jeep too carries the Flowmaster OUtlaw Axel Back
Both are good options esp if you want a bit more aggressiveness w/o being overbearing. I was looking seriously at both of those setups but then went conservative bc the neighbors were not loving my MF setup lol. Nevermind me hating the drone.

Borla is a safe bet and AFE is a sleeper more people are discovering.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mpk1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Both are good options esp if you want a bit more aggressiveness w/o being overbearing. I was looking seriously at both of those setups but then went conservative bc the neighbors were not loving my MF setup lol. Nevermind me hating the drone.

Borla is a safe bet and AFE is a sleeper more people are discovering.
I actually went with the Borla Stype Cat Back---Borla seems to be the most consistent exhaust system across many brands of cars/trucks so I figured probably best option

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I actually went with the Borla Stype Cat Back---Borla seems to be the most consistent exhaust system across many brands of cars/trucks so I figured probably best option
Good move. You will love the tone and if its too loud down the road put on a resonator. Win-win

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
I just installed the Magnaflow Rock Crawler on my 2-door Rubi on Saturday. I'm very happy with it! The install was very straight forward, and I had no fitment issues that others have had. The most difficult part was getting the stock muffler off the exhaust mounts (was working without an exhaust removal tool haha). The install took me less under 2 hours from start to finish.

After the install, when I first started it up, I was a little disappointed. I was hoping it would be a little louder. I was wanting something pretty aggressive sounding. However, after driving it bit, I've grown to like it. As we all know, the 3.6L performs best at over 2,000 RPMs. The same with this exhaust. Its fairly timid when it starts to purr, but after the engine gets under load and hits 2,000 RPM and over, it really comes to life.

Regarding the clearance, it tucks up really nice and high. You cant see it at all actually unless you get under the Jeep. Really happy with it. Thanks @Magnaflow !

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Best setup I ever had on a 6cyl was a flow master 40 series swapped into the resonator location and straight piped out after the rear axle deleting the rear muffler. Cheap and sounded great but nothing will replace true displacement :)

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I just installed the Magnaflow Rock Crawler on my 2-door Rubi on Saturday. I'm very happy with it! The install was very straight forward, and I had no fitment issues that others have had. The most difficult part was getting the stock muffler off the exhaust mounts (was working without an exhaust removal tool haha). The install took me less under 2 hours from start to finish.

After the install, when I first started it up, I was a little disappointed. I was hoping it would be a little louder. I was wanting something pretty aggressive sounding. However, after driving it bit, I've grown to like it. As we all know, the 3.6L performs best at over 2,000 RPMs. The same with this exhaust. Its fairly timid when it starts to purr, but after the engine gets under load and hits 2,000 RPM and over, it really comes to life.

Regarding the clearance, it tucks up really nice and high. You cant see it at all actually unless you get under the Jeep. Really happy with it. Thanks @Magnaflow !

I think they put in a new muffler in the rock crawler back in Jan 2019. It looks bigger and is likely quieter overall when it needs to be. Is there any droning?

Also if you don't mind can you get a decibel reading at idle and under acceleration? You can get an app for iPhone or Android for free.

Thx
Sponsored