Sponsored

New EVO 3032 JL / JLU Hinge Tire Carrier install Review with Pics

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I messaged EVO over IG and they replied that some rusting is expected in more adverse weather areas and that it could be touched up with Rustoleum Bedliner (when sprayed quickly it is a good match to the textured powdercoating).
The problem is that their powdercoating sucks. It missed the inside and apparently a lot of their seams as well. In order to properly fix the rust you need to take the damn thing back off and then attempt to cover up the rust. But it is just that, covering it up. Unless you sand it down it will eventually bubble and flake.
Sponsored

mskillen

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Rubicon Punkn
I have mine put together on the bench ready to put on this weekend.
Now I'm a little hesitant to put it on without repainting the whole thing.
I had chipping powder coat in several spots on different parts, I just sprayed them black to match.
I hate to see what it will look like after this next winter.
It doesn't look like something I want to have to pull off after the winter every year.

The pictures of the inside are bad and mine looks to have coating in there.
Also mine came with broken or chipped coating on a few edges, and looks like some bubbling under the coating that hasn't broken yet.
It is pretty expensive to not have better powder coating on it.
Its the rust on the hinge that would bother me more than anything, no matter what you will be taping up the jeep to stop over spray.
I like the way its made, its going to work fine, just going to be something to keep up with paint wise.
I have no idea what were they thinking on that third brake light mount, I don't think I will be using mine.

x7tristan

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have mine put together on the bench ready to put on this weekend.
Now I'm a little hesitant to put it on without repainting the whole thing.
I had chipping powder coat in several spots on different parts, I just sprayed them black to match.
I hate to see what it will look like after this next winter.
It doesn't look like something I want to have to pull off after the winter every year.

The pictures of the inside are bad and mine looks to have coating in there.
Also mine came with broken or chipped coating on a few edges, and looks like some bubbling under the coating that hasn't broken yet.
It is pretty expensive to not have better powder coating on it.
Its the rust on the hinge that would bother me more than anything, no matter what you will be taping up the jeep to stop over spray.
I like the way its made, its going to work fine, just going to be something to keep up with paint wise.
I have no idea what were they thinking on that third brake light mount, I don't think I will be using mine.
Can you take a pic of the inside coating on yours? Wondering if it's extremely different than mine. Much appreciated!

Sponsored

mskillen

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Rubicon Punkn
20190319_190650.jpg
Does not look like inside is coated, so I guess I will be trying to get some paint in there.

20190319_190545.jpg

20190319_191555.jpg

XtremePunesher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 XTREME JLU
Occupation
Architect/Builder
I have the same issue with this now as well. The rust is coming out on the edges, bolts, screws and other areas. Didn’t even had this product for then a month and already an issue you. So much for a new product.

Sponsored

mskillen

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Rubicon Punkn
I have decided to get my carrier recoated, I kinda wish I had bought the bare metal version.
The way it was explained to me is when they lazer cut these parts, the lazer uses O2 as it cuts the parts out.
This in itself creats oxidation along the cuts which will rust.
If the cuts were made using N2 instead it would eliminate that from happening to the metal.
The oxidation from the O2 is why the powdercoat chips on the edges and doesnt bond to the metal.

Powdercoating is done by creating a negative or positive charge on the item being coated, that attracts the powdercoat to the item.
It will only attract so much powder then its full.
Apparently this is a one time process and I cant have it redone to get inside the carrier, unless I have them strip it all back to bare metal.

So Im going to have it stripped and recoated and then sealed with Raptor coat bedliner.
I was given the guarantee 5 years without rust.
So another 250.00 on top of an already expensive carrier.
But I would never put on there if I knew it was going to start rusting immediately.
One month and you have rust already is crazy.

XtremePunesher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 XTREME JLU
Occupation
Architect/Builder
I have decided to get my carrier recoated, I kinda wish I had bought the bare metal version.
The way it was explained to me is when they lazer cut these parts, the lazer uses O2 as it cuts the parts out.
This in itself creats oxidation along the cuts which will rust.
If the cuts were made using N2 instead it would eliminate that from happening to the metal.
The oxidation from the O2 is why the powdercoat chips on the edges and doesnt bond to the metal.

Powdercoating is done by creating a negative or positive charge on the item being coated, that attracts the powdercoat to the item.
It will only attract so much powder then its full.
Apparently this is a one time process and I cant have it redone to get inside the carrier, unless I have them strip it all back to bare metal.

So Im going to have it stripped and recoated and then sealed with Raptor coat bedliner.
I was given the guarantee 5 years without rust.
So another 250.00 on top of an already expensive carrier.
But I would never put on there if I knew it was going to start rusting immediately.
One month and you have rust already is crazy.
Thats messed up might as well get a different one. I am aiming to return this thing now. Mine didn’t even lasted more then 3 weeks and it went into rust mode. So much for that top quality with these companies these days.

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Took me awhile, but it turned out great. Preloaded the hinge bolts a 1/4 turn really pulled everything together nice and tight

IMG_1050-1.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito
Also just took a pic of some of the rust on mine. It almost looks like there is no powdercoat on the inside.

aPIKJVx.jpg
Ouch.

To their defense though, its probably really hard to powdercoat the inside of a rail. iirc when powdercoating you hang the part in a booth and spray it like auto paint and it electro clings to the material. It would be hard to spray inside that little hole without getting serious runs and drippage. Just my thoughts. People were complaining about this with some other products on the market as well. But those people switched to E-Coat which is a full submersion process.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ouch.

To their defense though, its probably really hard to powdercoat the inside of a rail. iirc when powdercoating you hang the part in a booth and spray it like auto paint and it electro clings to the material. It would be hard to spray inside that little hole without getting serious runs and drippage. Just my thoughts. People were complaining about this with some other products on the market as well. But those people switched to E-Coat which is a full submersion process.
If i didnt clearcoat the outside, all the welds would also be rusting. On top of that the bolts that hold the rubber stops have also rusted. Also, just looked at another thread about evo's roof rack as well and their rack is rusting also. If there was so many issues with the powdercoated version they should either stop selling it or start going the e-coat route. The manufacturer wont stand behind their coating so everyone is out of luck.
Sponsored