travelboysteve

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Fusion, ProMaster Van, FR3 MH
Hey AZ, you know, the more I look at the back of your Jeep, I really like the zero rear bumper thing,....
So, I actually finished up my version of the "sun pie".

I had to drill out the center hole to 2-3/4" with a hole saw to get camera tube to fit through it.
I then put some heat shrink over the wires, used heat shrink butt connectors and wrapped them along with camer wire in smurf tubing.
Had to fool with the depth alignment of carrier again just a bit to ensure I could get the shroud to lock.
The lower lug nut was keeping me from locking the final shroud on the camera tube.
I do have to lock it, then put it on as it is spring loaded, but that is no big deal.
It locks and is super sturdy which is all I care about.
I have 4/3 backspacing, which makes the camera catch just a little bit of the rim, but view is still very ample, so if you are running deep dish pizzas, may have to extend your camera tube a bit which is beyond the scope of this thread.

Here's the finished product, (for now) until EVO puts out some mods for the carrier to accommodate rotopax / Hi-lifts, etc.

20181224_215655.jpg

20181224_215708.jpg

20181224_221630.jpg

20181224_221716.jpg

20181224_222327.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone, have a safe and prosperous New Year
Sponsored

OP
OP
travelboysteve

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for posting this I’m to overwhelmed to put mine on until have lot of time. Does the wheel shake at all now?
The mod is really not THAT hard,... it's not EASY by yourself, say, easy as mounting lights.

Shaking?
Not at all, zero, zilch, Nata.
I went through all my requirements when I was at EVO as I drive through whoops pretty fast and hard, and like to go fast through the desert more than through rocks.
I guess the side by side go fast thing is still in my blood a bit.

I've bounced it pretty hard on the street so far and I do believe this thing is pretty bomb proof.
I'm sort of a freak about squeaks, rattles, etc. because that usually means something is not tightened properly or it's moving and will eventually fail. (or needs lube)
I like the fact the weight is less than a bumper carrier type, which I was first looking at.
But after looking at how far they stick out, plus the weight, I didn't go that route for that reason.

They would be perfect to load up with hundreds of pounds of tire and gear and go for multi day trips, or serious crawling sessions.
If you drive slow, rock crawl, carry a lot of "items" etc. that's a good way to go.
I don't see a lot of true "crawling" in my future with this rig, nor a lot of multiple day overnighters.
I will use it to spectate at KOH, and other events, but that's about it.
I won't be trying to get up any of the "hammers" with it.
I've seen what those trails do to $300,000+ rigs, no thanks.
May build something later in life for that, but for now, this Jeep will get us where we want to go,...I like to explore, so that's what my particular build is about, not seeing how big a rock I can go over or how many days I can go off grid. Just my thing.

We have an RV for base camp, and I do like my creature comforts.
Comes with being North of 50 I guess,....

20170519_075409.jpg

20170519_075427.jpg

Last edited:

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Those who have switched from the mopar gate reinforcement/carrier setup to the Evo system...does it feel much more solid?
I am wanting to make the switch.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Those who have switched from the mopar gate reinforcement/carrier setup to the Evo system...does it feel much more solid?
Went from mopar to evo and it feels much more solid. No wiggle of the tire and no home hacks to extend the tire bumper on the tailgate. It will close straight now compared to before where the tailgate actually moved up as you closed it

OP
OP
travelboysteve

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, without question.
EVO = Solid Steel
Mopar = Cast Aluminum

Really no comparison

Sponsored

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know how to properly mount a cb antenna to the evo carrier (for proper grounding)?
I am running a CB on the evo carrier. It involved running a ground strap from the tailgate to the chassis ground. Confirmed continuity and then sanded down the evo carrier and bolted it down and confirmed continuity to chassis. Then i sprayed clear over it to prevent rust. I have not yet taken a SWR gauge to it yet but i will order one and see how the numbers look

x7tristan

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am running a CB on the evo carrier. It involved running a ground strap from the tailgate to the chassis ground. Confirmed continuity and then sanded down the evo carrier and bolted it down and confirmed continuity to chassis. Then i sprayed clear over it to prevent rust. I have not yet taken a SWR gauge to it yet but i will order one and see how the numbers look

Ok sweet, thanks for the advice! Next project for me

x7tristan

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Does the clear paint not make for a good ground connection (similar to the powder coat you just sanded off? Any chance you have pictures of this?

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Does the clear paint not make for a good ground connection (similar to the powder coat you just sanded off? Any chance you have pictures of this?
The clear paint is after final assembly of the antenna and coax. The ground is already there. You are just spraying clear to protect the bare metal.

Sponsored

rubiconsean23

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Physical therapist assistant
so how does the cut "condom" lol fit over the camera tube or the EVO tire carrier? My tire carrier is installed and the tire as well. I was having the hardest time tightening the torx t9 through evo bracket and camera. It just kept falling off and would not tighten at all. i wish i would have seen this thread first. I really like cutting the shroud and putting it over the camera it looks much better

EagleJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sarge Green Willys
Occupation
UPS
I received mine yesterday. I hope to be able to install it next weekend. So you can't use the third break light correct?

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So currently I am running a spare tire delete plate and a 80 lb LOD rear bumper. I have the mopar 2 inch lift installed also. I am wanting to get my spare tire back on the tailgate but am worried about all the extra weight.

I usually throw the spare in the back when out on the trail but this is less than ideal for longer road trips or camping.

After the bumper, the spare (104 lbs) and this 80 lb reinforcement, I feel like I might be adding too much weight to the rear.

Have you noticed the rear settling or bottoming out too much on woops after adding the carrier?o Does anyone sell springs with higher spring rates to compensate for running higher than stock loads?

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
just installed my Evo carrier last week and i love it

im running a 37" KM3 on the lowest mounting bolt holes and it rubs the steel mopar rear bumper ever so slightly. i feel like this offers a bit more support if the tire is captured against the bumper too.

is anyone having over-extension issues with the tire carrier? i feel like i'll be adding an additional strap, or maybe i can space out the stops on the hinges to stop the gate from swinging past the stock retaining bar's capacity.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
There’s a nice video on that site whose name cannot be mentioned here on this install. Not trying to promote him or anything, but it definitely complements this excellent write up
Sponsored