Sponsored

New England owners - 4xe

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
How are people liking their 4xes in New England? I'm headed up to NH and shopping 4xes right now, but before I take the plunge, I'd like to see how they've been faring up there during your winters. I know to expect FORM from time to time, and I'm primarily buying the 4xe for the power, but I do have a current PHEV and with the limited 15 miles I get on it (XC90 T8) 90% of my commuting is all-electric.

How are the heaters during winter on these 4xes? I'd love any general experience/feedback, as well, not just about these two topics. Thank you!
Sponsored

Riotfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Willys with 2 Doors
I don’t have one. But that seems to be a huge seller here in the northeast. At least where I’m at. There’s a ton by me, on lots and on road.

CapeArt

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Sport S, Porsche 987S, MazdaSpeed Miata
I don’t have one. But that seems to be a huge seller here in the northeast. At least where I’m at. There’s a ton by me, on lots and on road.
I rarely see any on the Cape - I see many Jeeps here of course, but not 4xe...However, my dealer has 123 4xe's on their lot! ?

Zoopy123

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Occupation
Media Services
How are people liking their 4xes in New England? I'm headed up to NH and shopping 4xes right now, but before I take the plunge, I'd like to see how they've been faring up there during your winters. I know to expect FORM from time to time, and I'm primarily buying the 4xe for the power, but I do have a current PHEV and with the limited 15 miles I get on it (XC90 T8) 90% of my commuting is all-electric.

How are the heaters during winter on these 4xes? I'd love any general experience/feedback, as well, not just about these two topics. Thank you!
I've been a happy owner of a Oct 2021 4xe here outside Boston. Winters have never been an issue, the electric range does get cut short and it will enter form but we travel frequently to NH and VT for snowboarding and the hours of highway travel usually clears it. It can sometimes be weird starting in ICE during cold snaps and then switching to electric once it warms up, I'd say to expect around 15-18 miles on battery when its cold. The heaters in it become very hot and you dont need to wait around for the engine to heat up before the cabin warms up, its great. We've gone on a roadtrip to Maine for snowboarding and when we arrived it was -21F outside. The Jeep said to plug in to maintain battery but the resort chargers were all taken. A few days later when it was time to head home it started right up.

I've never seen any on the Cape either except for ours
Jeep Wrangler JL New England owners - 4xe 1692321331197

OP
OP

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I really appreciate the detailed writeup and feedback. That sounds perfect; I'm totally fine with a hit to range but the instant heat sounds great. The tradeoffs seem well worth it.

Sponsored

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
No problems for me in Alaska. I commute 50 miles though so my engine runs a lot and have never experienced FORM. Engine will start by default at 30, but you can usually force it to Electric mode, until about 12 when it will run all the time.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Get the cold weather package, saves you from having to run the heat.

Toronto - Canada, aside from a bit of range reduction when it gets really cold, I have no complaints, depending on usage, if you have a home charger, winter range reduction might be a non issue.

mjg4xe

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
I've been a happy owner of a Oct 2021 4xe here outside Boston. Winters have never been an issue, the electric range does get cut short and it will enter form but we travel frequently to NH and VT for snowboarding and the hours of highway travel usually clears it. It can sometimes be weird starting in ICE during cold snaps and then switching to electric once it warms up, I'd say to expect around 15-18 miles on battery when its cold. The heaters in it become very hot and you dont need to wait around for the engine to heat up before the cabin warms up, its great. We've gone on a roadtrip to Maine for snowboarding and when we arrived it was -21F outside. The Jeep said to plug in to maintain battery but the resort chargers were all taken. A few days later when it was time to head home it started right up.

Jeep Wrangler JL New England owners - 4xe 1692321331197
I echo these comments as well. The electric mileage you get is very dependent on the season here. I get 22-27 miles regularly in the summer and more like 15-20 in the winter months - the heater is big source of battery drain in the winter months. This is also my third experience with a plug-in (Toyota, Volvo), and have found they all operate more or less the same. The Jeep seems to be more sensitive to trigging an engine cycle, both with normal driving and FORM - though, part of this is by design. For example, if you punch the petal in electric mode, it will still eventually trigger the engine to run as it's programmed to use the most efficient use of power and eventually that becomes gas at certain power parameters (though still preferenced to electric in electric mode). However, it is relatively easy to keep it in electric if that is your goal and was just pointing out a difference when coming from other plug-ins. I personally enjoy the 4xe and would get it again - have had for a year / 10,000 miles without issue.

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
I'm in NYC and park in a garage, but I've not had any issues with using hybrid mode or entering FORM in the winter. Even on trips to Vermont where we park outside well under freezing.

Yes mileage/range goes down when it's cold, but that's the case on the gas-only models as well. The only difference really with the 4xe is that the gas tank is quite small, so your overall range in the winter can be annoying. If you're doing winter driving in bad weather you'll be on the freeway well under 20 mpg, and that little tank goes quickly.

Heater warms up quickly and gets the cabin plenty hot. I have the SOT top and when driving in Vermont the cabin definitely gets cool up near the top, but that's to be expected. The heater more than keeps up; and that really only happens on the freeway when you're going to be running with the engine anyway. The heated seats and steering wheel do a lot of heavy lifting too.

One nice bonus is when you use the remote start in the winter, the truck will usually run just electric while it warms the cabin, and you won't kick the engine on until you actually start it and go to drive.

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
Funny, I saw multiple 4xes on the Cape last summer, and lots of non-4xe owners had questions about ours. We'll be up again in a week, on the lookout for those blue tow hooks on the beach!

Sponsored

CapeArt

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny, I saw multiple 4xes on the Cape last summer, and lots of non-4xe owners had questions about ours. We'll be up again in a week, on the lookout for those blue tow hooks on the beach!
I live on the Cape and am on the beach a lot and still haven't seen any "blue tow hooks" this season...we'll keep an eye out for you! ?

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
Welcome to NH! I purchased a '23 4xe last February and never experienced FORM. As others have mentioned, electric range drops a bit in the colder weather. In my experience (It's my daily commuter) ~ 10 - 15%. I do park and charge overnight in a garage. Get a level 2 charger.

Take a trip over to MV and you'll see plenty of blue hooks! :)

CapeArt

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
“Take a trip over to MV and you'll see plenty of blue hooks! :)
No surprise. ;)

MassMopar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JT Mojave, 23 JLR
In the winter, ours runs on gas power most of the time. That's what's great about the plug in hybird power train - never any worries about range. Just fill it up as needed.

Obligatory pics from P'Town this spring before the plovers closed it all down. We'll be back soon now that it's opening back up.

Jeep Wrangler JL New England owners - 4xe IMG_2123.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL New England owners - 4xe IMG_2282.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL New England owners - 4xe IMG_0301.JPG

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
No problems for me in Alaska. I commute 50 miles though so my engine runs a lot and have never experienced FORM. Engine will start by default at 30, but you can usually force it to Electric mode, until about 12 when it will run all the time.
What part of Alaska do you reside in?
Thank you
Sponsored