Sponsored

New door hinges and handles spied

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Looks like base model steelies.
Base steelies are grey/steel coloured 225/75/R16 the upgraded black steelies with Duelers are 245/75/R16.
17" upgrade is SRAs.
From the size alone, they're at least 245/75/R16s, not the hot wheels base 225 tyres.

IMG_0114.jpg
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two things that caught my eye and got my speculatron 2018 running, but might be nothing.

First, the rear panel section appears to split from the roof similar to the doors in front of it. There are definite breaks in the camo that fold and roll like they are constantly being removed, peeled back, and the tucked back in place hap-hazardly.
Perhaps the rear section isn't all one giant piece like on the current JK. The top portion might be a continuous piece, but it looks like it may separate from the rest as a single slab instead of a larger structure. Still not as nice as the modular patent design submission we keep seeing attibuted to the JL, but definitely easier to remove as well as store in limited space (apartment/condo, small garage, etc) than the current design.

Second, less of an observation than a hope, those new pull handles, might mean that keyless entry and push-button start might finally be part of the mix. As someone who often has his keys in backpacks, waterproof pouches or skipant lanyards, etc. I would welcome the push start as found on our Grand Cherokee and Cherokee.

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Actually the new hinges themselves seem flatter than the current JK hunges. This is a pet peeve of mine, and while they are still exposed they seem flusher at the leading edge.
Not to me. It "pops" out more to me overall while ours starts off about the same and flattens out more.

2018 Wrangler Door Hinges.png

Jeep Wrangler JL New door hinges and handles spied {filename}

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
I think an even bigger item is shown here. In this set of images you can see that the JL does indeed have a body line crease (belt line) as shown in the recent renderings. You can see the crease above the hinges. However, it does not appear to be quite as pronounced as it is in the renderings.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad actually, since I am NOT a fan of the crease line on the renderings. This shows a smooth, roll crease which is much better visually IMO.

gjeepguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 YJ, 1997 TJ, 2007 JKUL, 2023 JLURXR (order)

Looks like the same/similar hinges from the Jeep Safari concept.

Not sure if the sideview mirrors will come from the top hinge though.

Sponsored

gjeepguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Actually from this photo it does look like the top hinge could be holding the mirror like the Safari Concept.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to me. It "pops" out more to me overall while ours starts off about the same and flattens out more.
The back does 'pop out more' but that's because the front hinge doesn't stick out as much and then tapers to the same sized back, the reason the back looks bigger is because the front isn't this big bulbous hinge sticking out like in the JK, in the JL it's far more flush, and that's where stone chips are created.

We'll know for sure when we get better pics or see it in person, but there is no reason to make the back bigger and have the front hinge the same, whereas making the leading edge more stramlined has a lot of reasons including aerodynamics and debris avoidance, and noise reduction.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like the same/similar hinges from the Jeep Safari concept.
Yes and no. They have the same connection point design, but if you look at more of the concept photos or especially the up close videos, you will se those hinges stick out well beyond flush as they mount on the paneling instead of being integrated with it. Some of the design queues but definitely the final product won't stick out that much.

Look at the FCA concept video provided to reviewers etc. I picked one on YouTube with few views but good quality so it's clear to see the hinges @ the 1:20 and 1:40 marks. The TFL guys even drove it with more views at different angles,etc.

Those really stick out almost an inch further than the spy photos.

gjeepguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes and no. They have the same connection point design, but if you look at more of the concept photos or especially the up close videos, you will se those hinges stick out well beyond flush as they mount on the paneling instead of being integrated with it. Some of the design queues but definitely the final product won't stick out that much.

Look at the FCA concept video provided to reviewers etc. I picked one on YouTube with few views but good quality so it's clear to see the hinges @ the 1:20 and 1:40 marks.

Those really stick out almost an inch further than the spy photos.

Yeah I think the Safari ones are a combo of the JK hinge and the JL hinge. they definitely stick out further but have the same overall shape.

BlackRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Rubicon
As long as the doors come off (hopefully even easier) it's all good. I saw some early renders without the exposed hinges and it looked terrible, just glad they kept them.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
[QUyo"Lee H Greidanus, post: 4300, member: 10147"]That window folding down will come in handy here in North Dakota i can barely see through the windshield on the jk for the bug splatter.[/QUOTE]
So you'll wear Goggles ?

The Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Unlimited, Future JT Pickup (hopefully)

Actually from this photo it does look like the top hinge could be holding the mirror like the Safari Concept.

From other photos and angles you do see it's actually mounted on the pillar however. The hinges themselves are covered in camo while you can see where the mirror goes.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

That mirror looks to be mounted on the hinge half that is mounted to the door. Remove the door and you lose the mirror.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
^I think he meant that one can take it out of door's hinge and insert bolt down into hinge on body.
Sponsored