Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I saw a new on the road the other day. I got all excited to catch up to it cause I loved the old ones. Then I got close. Wow. Plastic. Lots of plastic. And the cargo box hanging off the side. I guess for putting groceries in as it pulled into Wegmans. Really just an embarrassing remake of the original.

now my neighbor’s kid has an old one. Really old. I never asked what year but man that thing has seen mud love. I mean he runs it and he abuses it. I have no idea how it is running but it runs like a champ. It is just pure awesomeness!
Sponsored

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
I saw a new on the road the other day. I got all excited to catch up to it cause I loved the old ones. Then I got close. Wow. Plastic. Lots of plastic. And the cargo box hanging off the side. I guess for putting groceries in as it pulled into Wegmans. Really just an embarrassing remake of the original.

now my neighbor’s kid has an old one. Really old. I never asked what year but man that thing has seen mud love. I mean he runs it and he abuses it. I have no idea how it is running but it runs like a champ. It is just pure awesomeness!
Lol the first one I saw was at Wegmans. White, very basic, did not have any cargo boxes from what I recall.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I don't think anyone is arguing whether it's fairly capable--it clearly is. The argument is whether it's limited compared to the Jeep, which is indisputably borne out by the facts.
Oh heck yea. They obviously gave up on that when they went with both ends IFS.

...or a Land Rover fanboy incapable of seeing the obvious.
Quite possibly. A very negative take, but quite possible.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
While lack of articulation is a nuisance, and likely not a problem for the Bronco because of their sway bar disconnect, the way the independent suspension's lower wishbone being the first point of contact with rocks, etc. is a proper problem.
I don't fully get this though. The disconnect on the bronco would allow for more drop obviously, but the suspension is still independent. In the Wrangler, the SFA makes it so that one side goes up the other goes down, so the tire that goes down is solidly on the ground because of the opposite force relative to the tire that is higher. How can the Bronco achieve this? even if the wheel can technically drop more, the suspension is still independent so forces are not being transferred side to side like it happens on a live axle. Isn't this still a limiting factor? Would someone care to explain this?

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Lol the first one I saw was at Wegmans. White, very basic, did not have any cargo boxes from what I recall.
This one was decked out for some serious mall trips. It was that one package I guess. It looked loads up. It was the brown color. Cool color though if it didn’t have all that other grey silver trim Range Rover does.

Sponsored

Milner Isasi

First Name
Milner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler unlimited
That thing is a disgrace to the Defender name - IFS front and rear? Crazy, when its predecessor is a legendary off road machine. Absolutely no big players worldwide are willing to go against the Wrangler and do front and rear solid axles. Even the bronco looks incredibly tippy off road - it's basically as good as a 4runner.
Can you believe that they dare so much?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Can you believe that they dare so much?
The school bus needs 35s. They went batshit with the unlimited wheelbase. This obstacle shows the achilles heel of the 4D JL anyway, does not put to test other important factors. On the school bus wrangler it is easy to fix that issue. Put 2K on that wrangler and say bye bye bronco.

Modifying the Bronco IFS? thats gonna be lots of fun.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
You can't expect much from a re-badged Honda Element!!!

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
What a let down on the “new” Defender. Having owned Series 1 and 2 Discovery and a old Defenders, this new one takes two steps back and could not even complete off road with LR offerings of just a decade or so ago.

This new Defenders share the base platform of the new Discovery which is itself a shadow of the past off road performance it’s name sake had.

LandRover is no longer the off road first, luxury second company and has not been so since the early 2000s. Their focus is on all weather and the unmaintained dirt road to your cabin capabilities while in safe in a luxurious cockpit.

The new Defender is for those RangRover owner that don’t want to risk getting their RR dirty driving out to their vacation homes when it is snowing or raining and some road muck might be kicked up.

LandRover should have made the new Defender more inline with the JL/U Rubicon both in price and capability. It will never be able to complete in any true form worldwide against the JL/T/U Rubicons, new Bronco or offering from Toyota when it comes to those that want capability and reliability in far off places with exotic names.

All this from a LR fan boy that was waiting and hoping the new Defender would hold true to its name sake and would pull him away from another Jeep Wrangler (JLUR In this case) and back to a LandRover. Nope it didn’t happen!!!

OP
OP
rubileon

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
What a let down on the “new” Defender. Having owned Series 1 and 2 Discovery and a old Defenders, this new one takes two steps back and could not even complete off road with LR offerings of just a decade or so ago.

This new Defenders share the base platform of the new Discovery which is itself a shadow of the past off road performance it’s name sake had.

LandRover is no longer the off road first, luxury second company and has not been so since the early 2000s. Their focus is on all weather and the unmaintained dirt road to your cabin capabilities while in safe in a luxurious cockpit.

The new Defender is for those RangRover owner that don’t want to risk getting their RR dirty driving out to their vacation homes when it is snowing or raining and some road muck might be kicked up.

LandRover should have made the new Defender more inline with the JL/U Rubicon both in price and capability. It will never be able to complete in any true form worldwide against the JL/T/U Rubicons, new Bronco or offering from Toyota when it comes to those that want capability and reliability in far off places with exotic names.

All this from a LR fan boy that was waiting and hoping the new Defender would hold true to its name sake and would pull him away from another Jeep Wrangler (JLUR In this case) and back to a LandRover. Nope it didn’t happen!!!
I had hopes for the new Defender too but before they showed what it looks like... hope was all gone after seeing the shape alone.

LR should have done what Mercedes did with their new G class and stuck to the original shape. At least LR wouldn't have needed to "sell" the incapability over incapable looks of the new Defender.

LR as a company is bust too. It's ironic since the original series LRs were built in a simple way to get the company back in business.

OP
OP
rubileon

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
The school bus needs 35s. They went batshit with the unlimited wheelbase. This obstacle shows the achilles heel of the 4D JL anyway, does not put to test other important factors. On the school bus wrangler it is easy to fix that issue. Put 2K on that wrangler and say bye bye bronco.

Modifying the Bronco IFS? thats gonna be lots of fun.
Lowbrow marketing tactics from Ford. That's all.

Like you said, swap the wheels out in the JLU and problem solved here.

Independent suspension struggles with lifts because of the increased angles at the CV joints.

Edit: Even with a lift, the IS lower wishbone or control arm will grind on rocks, etc.

Last edited:

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
There's another recent video of the Defender on TFL Classics where the owner of that beasted-out yellow old Defender says he really likes the new one and thinks it's fairly capable even with the IFS. He's a guy who's done more trails than most, so <shrug>. A qualified conflicting opinion, at least.
He seemed less than genuine with his response.
Sponsored