Sponsored

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
What a let down on the “new” Defender. Having owned Series 1 and 2 Discovery and a old Defenders, this new one takes two steps back and could not even complete off road with LR offerings of just a decade or so ago.

This new Defenders share the base platform of the new Discovery which is itself a shadow of the past off road performance it’s name sake had.

LandRover is no longer the off road first, luxury second company and has not been so since the early 2000s. Their focus is on all weather and the unmaintained dirt road to your cabin capabilities while in safe in a luxurious cockpit.

The new Defender is for those RangRover owner that don’t want to risk getting their RR dirty driving out to their vacation homes when it is snowing or raining and some road muck might be kicked up.

LandRover should have made the new Defender more inline with the JL/U Rubicon both in price and capability. It will never be able to complete in any true form worldwide against the JL/T/U Rubicons, new Bronco or offering from Toyota when it comes to those that want capability and reliability in far off places with exotic names.

All this from a LR fan boy that was waiting and hoping the new Defender would hold true to its name sake and would pull him away from another Jeep Wrangler (JLUR In this case) and back to a LandRover. Nope it didn’t happen!!!
I had hopes for the new Defender too but before they showed what it looks like... hope was all gone after seeing the shape alone.

LR should have done what Mercedes did with their new G class and stuck to the original shape. At least LR wouldn't have needed to "sell" the incapability over incapable looks of the new Defender.

LR as a company is bust too. It's ironic since the original series LRs were built in a simple way to get the company back in business.
Once LR pushed the Disco they needed something to replace the old Disco—hence, this Defender. Now they need something to replace the old Defender, but I doubt that will be happening.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
If they wanted apples to apples, they should have put a lift and tires on that old Toureg they have and taken that along. (Yes, old VW fan boy)

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they wanted apples to apples, they should have put a lift and tires on that old Toureg they have and taken that along. (Yes, old VW fan boy)
Kinda related, kinda not--last time I was out at Peter's Mill Run in VA I came upon a white Porsche Cayenne lol.

OP
OP
rubileon

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Once LR pushed the Disco they needed something to replace the old Disco—hence, this Defender. Now they need something to replace the old Defender, but I doubt that will be happening.
If it's not for the BMW engines, these guys might be on to just that...

Sponsored

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it's not for the BMW engines, these guys might be on to just that...
It looks really dope but I am very, very nervous when it comes to bespoke, small manufacturers. I'm hoping they let someone like Andrew St. Pierre White test one, as he's a fairly storied LR fan that's fallen out of love with the modern offerings (despite some nice comments about the new Defender) and could bring good perspective.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Defender's camera system is downright impressive. I can't believe my JLR doesn't even come with a front camera.
I had the 360 multi-terrain monitor (camera) on my Tacoma and it was very neat. However, the lack of definition and resolution made it useful for only basic stuff (eyeing distance from the sides of a trail).

Unfortunately, it’s not yet a substitute for a good spotter.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Defender's camera system is downright impressive. I can't believe my JLR doesn't even come with a front camera.
I’m sure Jeep would be delighted to give us a similar camera...if we were willing to pay $80,000 for a Wrangler.

Sponsored

msdesignltd

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler Recon unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Great illustration - nearly impossible to protect this set up. On our Jeeps the lower shock mounts can be vulnerable - but they are easy to protect...which I have.
Design could always cantilever the shocks to a horizontal position above rear diff and minimize exposure below.Hummer H 1 actually has inboard discs and less hub exposure at wheel back area..just a thought

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
More applicable videos of its decent capabilities

There was one where they went on the LR course off-road and I thought it did pretty good
Edit: this one

OP
OP
rubileon

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
The new Defender's cameras are there so you can see what obstacles are coming up and you can turn around and go back to the mall.

OP
OP
rubileon

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
More applicable videos of its decent capabilities

There was one where they went on the LR course off-road and I thought it did pretty good
Edit: this one
That Matt guy fron carwow is pompous and clueless when it comes to off roaders. He was comparing the Wrangler to the G class in one video and he said about the locking differentials "the Wrangler has only two" as in G class' 3 is better than the Wrnagler's 2. His videos are for an audience with primary school like levels of intelligence. Even the drag races they do are not credible.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That Matt guy fron carwow is pompous and clueless when it comes to off roaders. He was comparing the Wrangler to the G class in one video and he said about the locking differentials "the Wrangler has only two" as in G class' 3 is better than the Wrnagler's 2. His videos are for an audience with primary school like levels of intelligence. Even the drag races they do are not credible.

tenor.gif
Sponsored