limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
For those wanting to get a little more articulation out of your front axle, to remove a little stress from your front upper control arm mounts, or even to possibly to fix a shimmy that you haven't been able to find a cure for, Currie/Rock Jock has just released their front end housing kit. What this kit does is replace the stock Clevite style upper control arm bushings (the ones in the front axle housing) with Johnny Joint bushings. This kit is easier to install than previous Jeep kits, as those required cutting off the old bushing mounts and welding the new Johnny Joint mounts on. The JL/JT version simplifies the installation with only removing the existing bushings and driving in the new JJ bushing (install tool included).

I had the TJ version installed on my 2004 and was very impressed with them. I had installed all 8 Currie Johnny Joint control arms, but still had a slight shimmy at around 45 mph. After installing their front end housing kit, the shimmy went away and the steering was very precise and solid (at least as solid as a TJ's can be). From my experience and installing these in a few buddies Jeeps, I have come to the conclusion that the stock Clevite bushings wear quickly when subjected to the rigors of off roading, especially if you flex out the front end. The Clevite bushings do not like to have any flex or rotational forces acted upon them. They will tear and the inner sleeve will break away from the bonded rubber.

Currie had a total of 6 kits in stock today, but they are down to at most 4 kits now (I bought two). They are listed at $199.99 per kit, which I think is a fair price considering the quality and benefits gained by this kit.

https://www.rockjock4x4.com/rj-301000-103

0016021_rj-301000-103-jeep-jljt-frontend-housing-johnny-joint-kit.jpg
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
For those wanting to get a little more articulation out of your front axle, to remove a little stress from your front upper control arm mounts, or even to possibly to fix a shimmy that you haven't been able to find a cure for, Currie/Rock Jock has just released their front end housing kit. What this kit does is replace the stock Clevite style upper control arm bushings (the ones in the front axle housing) with Johnny Joint bushings. This kit is easier to install than previous Jeep kits, as those required cutting off the old bushing mounts and welding the new Johnny Joint mounts on. The JL/JT version simplifies the installation with only removing the existing bushings and driving in the new JJ bushing (install tool included).

I had the TJ version installed on my 2004 and was very impressed with them. I had installed all 8 Currie Johnny Joint control arms, but still had a slight shimmy at around 45 mph. After installing their front end housing kit, the shimmy went away and the steering was very precise and solid (at least as solid as a TJ's can be). From my experience and installing these in a few buddies Jeeps, I have come to the conclusion that the stock Clevite bushings wear quickly when subjected to the rigors of off roading, especially if you flex out the front end. The Clevite bushings do not like to have any flex or rotational forces acted upon them. They will tear and the inner sleeve will break away from the bonded rubber.

Currie had a total of 6 kits in stock today, but they are down to at most 4 kits now (I bought two). They are listed at $199.99 per kit, which I think is a fair price considering the quality and benefits gained by this kit.

0016021_rj-301000-103-jeep-jljt-frontend-housing-johnny-joint-kit.jpg
Thanks a lot Guy..... you just cost me 200.00, lol, but hey..... what are friends for if not to help you with J.E.E.P. ...........;)..... Did you order straight from rock jock, I didn’t see them on NR ?

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks a lot Guy..... you just cost me 200.00, lol, but hey..... what are friends for if not to help you with J.E.E.P. ...........;)..... Did you order straight from rock jock, I didn’t see them on NR ?
Anytime Roky! The wife wasn't too happy with me buying two kits, but what's a Jeeper to do?? This is the ONE part I've been patiently waiting for since the day I bought my first JLUR.

I think these are a MUST have for JL's which are used off road. I'm glad I reached out to Currie so I could let you know about them so you can J.E.E.P.!

I ordered directly from Currie. I too looked at NR4x4 and couldn't find them. It sounds like this was a part Currie developed but COVID caused some problems with their marketing/IT departments to know about it and put it out there for sale.

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Whoever gets them installed first, post pics and how it went.

I'm not going to be able to install mine until after Christmas as I'm away at work. If I were home, I'd be installing these things before the big brown truck could make it out of my neighborhood!

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Whoever gets them installed first, post pics and how it went.

I'm not going to be able to install mine until after Christmas as I'm away at work. If I were home, I'd be installing these things before the big brown truck could make it out of my neighborhood!
Depends when they arrive. I head to Moab on the 4th, so if I get them by Monday I'll install them then, if not, it could be a while. My November calendar is pretty packed up.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL New Currie Rock Jock Front End Housing Johnny Joint Kit for JL/JT 0016021_rj-301000-103-jeep-jljt-frontend-housing-johnny-joint-kit
Thanks for sharing this! Just snagged a set that will go on when I switch out my synergy arms for Metalcloak's in the near future. :rock:

Always found it strange that it was the only connecting point out of 16 that didn't get the standard double shear brackets.

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
By my count, all of Currie's initial sets (6) have been sold to members of this forum. If anymore members are interested, I'll contact Currie to find out if/when they'll have more available.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
By my count, all of Currie's initial sets (6) have been sold to members of this forum. If anymore members are interested, I'll contact Currie to find out if/when they'll have more available.
They owe you a kickback!

Sponsored

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
They owe you a kickback!
I know right?? :like:

I'm actually surprised they don't have an account on this forum to drum up more sales. They make excellent joints, control arms, and axles. Their offerings for the JL/JT platform are a little limited, but hopefully that is changing (damn COVID!).

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
What do you know about their control arms? I am about to dump RK and go somewhere else.....

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Im picking mine up in a few hours :)

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What do you know about their control arms? I am about to dump RK and go somewhere else.....
I ran them in my TJ Rubicon and loved them! I was initially weary of using that kind of joint on road, but those fears were misplaced. The Johnny Joints have better handling characteristics on and off road than the stock bushings (my opinion). They do require periodic maintenance, consisting of adding lube to the greaseable bolts. I do all of the lubrication when I do the oil changes, so that part doesn't bother me. I had them for over 25K miles without one problem or ever needing a rebuild. The joints can be easily rebuilt and the components are readily available from Currie, Northridge, Summit Racing, etc. I kept two spare thread-on joints (one for an UCA and one for a LCA as they are different sizes) in my trail kit and never needed them.

I too am ready to ditch my RK arms (nothing really wrong with them) and was looking at the Metalcloak arms, due to their ability to offer more articulation. But I wouldn't hesitate to run Currie arms either. They are more expensive than RK and MC arms though.
Sponsored