New Control Arms with 3.5" lift?

AF Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Hey guys, I'm brand new here and to the Jeep community. I just got my 2021 Wrangler Unlimited a couple of days ago and plan on installing a 3.5" JKS J-Rated lift kit in the near future. I've read that with lift kits in this height range, the control arms have to be replaced. Does anybody have any experience with this? Any advice is greatly appeciated.
Sponsored

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Can you post a link to the specific JKS 3.5 inch lift kit your wanting to get? Considering a lot of JL owners are putting longer control arms on stock Jeeps to correct caster, you’ll definitely need at the minimum adjustable front lower control arms.
Depending on how you build out your Jeep (heavy bumpers, skid plates, winch, etc) you may need adjustable rear upper control arms to correct rear drive shaft pinion angle.

OP
OP

AF Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Can you post a link to the specific JKS 3.5 inch lift kit your wanting to get? Considering a lot of JL owners are putting longer control arms on stock Jeeps to correct caster, you’ll definitely need at the minimum adjustable front lower control arms.
Depending on how you build out your Jeep (heavy bumpers, skid plates, winch, etc) you may need adjustable rear upper control arms to correct rear drive shaft pinion angle.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is the kit:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/jks-...uspension-lift-kit-fox-shocks-jspec119kf.html

If I have to change out the control arms, that's Ok, but I'm just trying to find a concrete answer to the question. I'm finding a lot of conflicting information.

People have advised me to get a 2" lift instead because that would apparently not require the changing of control arms at all. Does that sound right?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller

https://www.extremeterrain.com/jks-...uspension-lift-kit-fox-shocks-jspec119kf.html

If I have to change out the control arms, that's Ok, but I'm just trying to find a concrete answer to the question. I'm finding a lot of conflicting information.

People have advised me to get a 2" lift instead because that would apparently not require the changing of control arms at all. Does that sound right?
Generally you want to see either:
1) Longer front lower control arms
2) Adjustable control arms
3) Correction brackets

Another reason 2” might be favorable is you don’t have to worry about driveshaft issues. Any concerns about control arms would be less severe at 2”, but really there aren’t many concerns on a 4 door. 2 door has issues in the rear that require the axle to be rotated using adjustable control arms.

Finally, I only see 1 trackbar. 2 would be better, or relocation brackets.

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport

What Model Jeep do you have?
It’s possible that a JL Sport owner who installs a 2 inch lift may still be within the factory specs for caster and would not need front adjustable control arms. But he/she may not be getting the best ride/steering out of their Jeep.
The sport, Sahara, and rubicon’s all have the same length control arms from the factory, even though each model has a slight taller ride height.
I believe the 3.5” lift kit you are looking at does come with washers that can be adjusted to allow for more or less caster. Only problem is they will not allow for fine tuning of caster for best handling/steering.
Here is a good thread to read
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/caster-specification-for-the-jl.17016/

Sponsored

OP
OP

AF Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
What Model Jeep do you have?
It’s possible that a JL Sport owner who installs a 2 inch lift may still be within the factory specs for caster and would not need front adjustable control arms. But he/she may not be getting the best ride/steering out of their Jeep.
The sport, Sahara, and rubicon’s all have the same length control arms from the factory, even though each model has a slight taller ride height.
I believe the 3.5” lift kit you are looking at does come with washers that can be adjusted to allow for more or less caster. Only problem is they will not allow for fine tuning of caster for best handling/steering.
Here is a good thread to read
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/caster-specification-for-the-jl.17016/
Thanks again for all the info . I have a 2021 4 door 80th anniversary unlimited.

I'm going to dive into the thread you sent a little later today (I'm in Italy, so my day is just starting).

Based off what you guys have said so far though, I think it's best that I get a shorter lift in order to reduce any potential complications and then change out the front control arms eventually to help with the steering.

OP
OP

AF Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Generally you want to see either:
1) Longer front lower control arms
2) Adjustable control arms
3) Correction brackets

Another reason 2” might be favorable is you don’t have to worry about driveshaft issues. Any concerns about control arms would be less severe at 2”, but really there aren’t many concerns on a 4 door. 2 door has issues in the rear that require the axle to be rotated using adjustable control arms.

Finally, I only see 1 trackbar. 2 would be better, or relocation brackets.
Thank you for the info! I am going to get a shorter lift and eventually get some adjustable front control arms.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Thank you for the info! I am going to get a shorter lift and eventually get some adjustable front control arms.
Do track bars before control arms. The lift is no good if it is shoved into the frame by an off-center axle. If you move back to looking at 3.5” lifts make sure you research driveshaft requirements. Some strongly recommend them, some say you’re ok for a while, and a few are designed to work with the original (usually ones with geometry brackets).

OP
OP

AF Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Do track bars before control arms. The lift is no good if it is shoved into the frame by an off-center axle. If you move back to looking at 3.5” lifts make sure you research driveshaft requirements. Some strongly recommend them, some say you’re ok for a while, and a few are designed to work with the original (usually ones with geometry brackets).
ok, so lift kit then track bars, then front control arms. Is there anything else I will need to consider in order to not damage my jeep or to make for a more comfortable ride?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
ok, so lift kit then track bars, then front control arms. Is there anything else I will need to consider in order to not damage my jeep or to make for a more comfortable ride?
A good lift kit will address the track bars with either adjustable trackbars, or a bracket that raises the axle side mounting point. If the one you pick doesn’t, then you might need to research what makes a good complement to your chosen lift.
Just plan ahead. Don’t get fixated on any one kit or part. If you’re sticking to 2” territory, which is probably the best place to be by the way, you can use almost any parts you like. If you’ve got plans to go over 37’s or 3.5” lift, you would benefit by being smart about what you buy for 2” that can be potentially reused at 3.5”.
The driver is what damages Jeeps, not parts. Or factory parts fail (nothing to do about that but fix it when it happens).

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I'm brand new here and to the Jeep community. I just got my 2021 Wrangler Unlimited a couple of days ago and plan on installing a 3.5" JKS J-Rated lift kit in the near future. I've read that with lift kits in this height range, the control arms have to be replaced. Does anybody have any experience with this? Any advice is greatly appeciated.
If you’re dead set on that particular lift then I would suggest adding front lower control arms and a rear track bar relocation bracket or adjustable rear track bar.

That kit uses cam bolts to correct caster, and that’s not a good way to do it IMO. Also it doesn’t have anything to center the rear axle.

If you’re going this far, you’ll be better off finding a complete lift for a little bit more money.

OP
OP

AF Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
If you’re dead set on that particular lift then I would suggest adding front lower control arms and a rear track bar relocation bracket or adjustable rear track bar.

That kit uses cam bolts to correct caster, and that’s not a good way to do it IMO. Also it doesn’t have anything to center the rear axle.

If you’re going this far, you’ll be better off finding a complete lift for a little bit more money.
Thanks for the input!

You think that the lift I'm currently looking at will work if I do replace the front control arms and get an adjustable rear track bar? All the other kits I'm looking at that are "complete kits" are much more expensive, so just looking to explore options

OP
OP

AF Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler

Would a lift such as this one not require new track bars?

https://www.extremeterrain.com/mopar-2-lift-kit-w-fox-shocks-2018-36l-jl-4-door.html

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input!

You think that the lift I'm currently looking at will work if I do replace the front control arms and get an adjustable rear track bar? All the other kits I'm looking at that are "complete kits" are much more expensive, so just looking to explore options
Yes , that kit will work as long as you keep your suspensions geometry intact.

When you lift your rig both front and rear axles get shifted, and your caster decreases. This happens even when just doing a 1.5” spacer lift. It’s minimal and really doesn't hurt anything when lifting up to 2.5”. At 2.5” your axles will shift 1/2” front to drivers side and rear to passenger sides.

At this point if you put your rig on the alignment rack it would still show your within spec, so that’s why some lift companies don’t address any geometry correction. But...... being in spec does not mean it drives and handles as good as it could.

If you want to do the Mopar kit, then make sure to measure ride height before you lift it so you know how much lift you actually get, which in turn will let you know if extra parts are needed to make it drive/handle sweet. The Mopar kit rarely yields just 2”.

It depends on tire size ,and/or, if you plan any fender modifications, and/or, backspacing on the wheels you’re gonna run that should determine how much lift you want to do, and if you’ll need wheel spacers etc...

If you’re considering the Mopar lift then. this, may help......

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/1454124/

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
What size tire do you want to use?

If 35's...
https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-2-5-true-dual-rate-suspension-system-lift-kit.html

If 37's...
https://metalcloak.com/jeep-jl-wrangler-3-5-true-dual-rate-lift-kits.html

Both of these kits already include high quality components that will allow centering of axles side to side and front caster adjustment. The Rocksport shocks offer a great bang for the buck as far as performance, plus they are specifically designed to pair well with these springs.
Sponsored